Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 11-07-2010, 03:42 PM
TT Regular

Boat: mastercraft 190
1986 skier resto

hey all!!

I bought my boat back in august and now the winter is here i thought she deserves sum tlc! i started off with the intention of just replacing the carpets, this lasted as long as it took to remove the seats! Once the seats were out i began on the gas tank, you need the hands of a child to get to screws at the rear! For any owners of the same model with plastic fuel tank beware!!!!!!!! when i turned the tank over to empty it i noticed fuel leaking from the corners, the seam has split! this isnt really an issue as im goin to convert it to lpg....

Ive managed to get all the carpet out quite easily, does anyone have any tips on removing the old glue? ive degreased the motor and bilge and it looks a million times better already! i took loads of pictures whilst doing this then dropped my camera in the bilge that was full of greasy water!

im considering a non slip vinyl instead of carpet.... any thoughts on this???

cheers, gaz!
Old 11-08-2010, 08:45 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1988, ProStar 190, 351w
No need to get crazy removing glue, in the end you are just putting more down anyway. Scrape off the old glue with a paint scrapper or putty knife so that it is pretty smooth. Just leave the residue behind, no reason to get all that off.

I tend to prefer carpet on my feet but can see why you are considering vinyl. Vinyl would make it nice when wiping up any messes made while working on the engine.

Bummer about that camera