Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 09-17-2010, 11:24 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Masercraft, Prostar 190, 1993, 5.8L
To antifreeze or not??

This is my first winter with the boat and I am just wondering if I should go by the manual and just drain everything the best I can and leave loose, or to button back up and pour in the RV antifreeze. I am in N. GA and the boat will be in the garage all winter and temps may get below freezing in there - but not many times I hope. I tend to be a more "better safe than sorry" type of person - but just wanted some opinions. I know they will range, lol. Also, I have the 351 HO with the gt-40 heads and the powerslot tranny. Love this combo. Also - is it entirely necessasary to pull the prop or should I just leave on. Thanks in advance!

JD

1993 Prostar 190
Old 09-17-2010, 12:49 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Congrats on a great sounding boat. Winterizing choices are easy for me since winters in Minnesota don't allow for any shortcuts. Even for you, why risk not spending $10 on three gallons of RV antifreeze and run it through your system. Not too many guys ever wish they had never winterized their engine too well.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $125 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 09-17-2010, 02:09 PM

Boat: 06 X30
What is the main difference in RV vs auto antifreeze?
Old 09-17-2010, 02:10 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by titleist93mc View Post
This is my first winter with the boat and I am just wondering if I should go by the manual and just drain everything the best I can and leave loose, or to button back up and pour in the RV antifreeze. I am in N. GA and the boat will be in the garage all winter and temps may get below freezing in there - but not many times I hope. I tend to be a more "better safe than sorry" type of person - but just wanted some opinions. I know they will range, lol. Also, I have the 351 HO with the gt-40 heads and the powerslot tranny. Love this combo. Also - is it entirely necessasary to pull the prop or should I just leave on. Thanks in advance!

JD

I drained my block, manifolds and pulled my impeller one year and still pushed out a freeze plug. I always use antifreeze now, but I've only ever used auto antifreeze.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft PS190
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
What is the main difference in RV vs auto antifreeze?
I think its more enviromentaly friendly????
Old 09-17-2010, 02:18 PM
TT Regular

Yes - I have been reading all day and consensus seems to be that RV antifreeze or better yet, marine antifreeze is environmentally friendly and that some have rust inhibitors and such.

Anyway - I don't plan on putting antifreeze in the bucket and sucking it up - plan on taking the uptake hose loose, elevating above the engine and pouring in 3 gals or so. Would this be the best method - or should I take the lines coming off the impeller loose and pour into the block and also into the manifolds?

Anyone have a guesstimate (or actual) amount that they use?

Thanks.

JD

1993 Prostar 190
Old 09-17-2010, 02:23 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1991 Prostar 190, fuel injected 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by titleist93mc View Post
Yes - I have been reading all day and consensus seems to be that RV antifreeze or better yet, marine antifreeze is environmentally friendly and that some have rust inhibitors and such.

Anyway - I don't plan on putting antifreeze in the bucket and sucking it up - plan on taking the uptake hose loose, elevating above the engine and pouring in 3 gals or so. Would this be the best method - or should I take the lines coming off the impeller loose and pour into the block and also into the manifolds?

Anyone have a guesstimate (or actual) amount that they use?

Thanks.

JD
It won't do you much good if the t-stat is closed. When you drain the block, take the petcock all the way out. They tend to plug up not letting all the water out of the block raising hell in the winter time. Take them out and leave them out 'til next year.

'91 prostar 190
Old 09-17-2010, 02:26 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
I do it for whatever corrosion protection it may offer. Cheap and easy.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2009 Mastercraft X-45
Are you already winterizing in Georgia?

Definitely run some anti-freeze through it, takes a few minutes and it is quick insurance to keep the block safe during the winter.

I think I picked up three gallons last year and had a little left over in the bucket. Hope that helps.

Good luck with the winterizing. There is a great checklist in the FAQ section with a supply list for winterization that walks you through the process.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:35 PM
TT Regular

Yes - sadly our lake starts doing the backwards slide around this time of year. I dont want to show up and see my ride sloping downward with the prop struggling to get traction among the mud and rocks.

So you guys think the best way is to get a 5 gal bucket and dump antifreeze in there and then suck it up with the uptake hose until it comes out the exhaust? Anyone have any pictures of the process?

Sorry - just a little nervous on the first winterizing - want to make sure to do things right and take good care of her - want her to last a long time. (Only 450 hrs on the clock - not bad for a 93).

JD

1993 Prostar 190

Last edited by titleist93mc; 09-17-2010 at 02:36 PM. Reason: grammar