Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 04-21-2009, 11:40 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 X-Star TBI 310HP Predator
Clarion Stereo swap: M5675 to M475

I swapped out my Clarion stereo in my 02 X-star from a M5675 to a M475. The only reason was so I had the ipod jack and could still use my transom and drivers side remote....so I thought. After the simple swap, the remotes work, but the mute/pause button doesn't work when the radio is on or when it is on Aux for ipod use. I use that mute button all the time. When playing a CD, the mute/pause button works by pausing the CD. Frustrating. Any ideas?
Old 04-21-2009, 12:42 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 MasterCraft X-5 310 HP
I just did the same swap for the same reason and am having the same problem with the remote. The remote is not 100% compatible and you will have to upgrade that as well. There are 4 different types of remote for that unit per the Clarion Marine web site: CMRC1-BSS, CMRC1-SB and CMRC2-BSS, CMRC2-BS. I wanted to upgrade to the new CMRC1 series with the LED display but as it turns out that series is 1" larger than my current remote and won't fit into the plate without getting it drilled and I'm not convinced that would be a good idea. I am usually a 100% iPod guy anyway so pausing the iPod is what I normally do anyway, so I may just leave it. There are plenty of those remotes on eBay.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 X-Star
I did the same swap, but also included the actual ipod adapter, p/n CCAIPOD rather than using the aux input. This adapter will also charge the ipod. With this adapter, the pause works fine, as does skip forward/back etc. so I have been happy with it. I never use the radio, so I can't comment on whether it mutes or not, but it does cycle through the presets, I will test it later today.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:12 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcjr View Post
I did the same swap, but also included the actual ipod adapter, p/n CCAIPOD rather than using the aux input. This adapter will also charge the ipod. With this adapter, the pause works fine, as does skip forward/back etc. so I have been happy with it. I never use the radio, so I can't comment on whether it mutes or not, but it does cycle through the presets, I will test it later today.
So, does that adapter plug in to the bottom of the iPod instead of the top? How long is it? My stereo is on the opposite side of the boat so I need at least 10' to run under the walkway to the cockpit.

Last edited by X-5 Driver; 04-21-2009 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 04-21-2009, 03:39 PM
TT Enthusiast

nmcjr,
so is this what you have?
http://cgi.ebay.com/CLARION-CCA-IPOD...QQcmdZViewItem
I see it doesn't list the m475 specifically as being compatible? I do have the Cnet jack in the back of my radio though so is that compatible with mine? Couple questions. so if you have your ipod plugged in with this cnet, then your transom remote will allow you to pause or mute the ipod? That's what I'm looking for. Also, if you have your ipod plugged in through the Cnet, can you still control your ipod through the ipod, or do you have to use the head unit and/or remotes?
Old 04-21-2009, 03:55 PM
TT Enthusiast

Yes, that is the one, it will work just fine. I got mine from Crutchfield and it is listed as an accesory for the m475 on their site. The cable is not long enough to locate the ipod in the drivers area. I drilled a small hole to pass the cable into the glovebox and just plug it in and don't touch it. With this ipod link, you cannot control the ipod via the ipod, you must use the stereo to control it. The stereo interface it a little clunky, but I usually select a playlist and just let it run. With this you will be able to pause, and also skip forward and back with the transom remote.

A little off topic, but if you are typically pausing while skiiers are down etc. you may want to look at http://www.hsetrident.com/home.html (the volume control). I just added one this year and absolutely love it. Just set your high and low volume levels and then just drive, its great, you won't mute or change the volume levels practically all day. One thing to note is if you have multiple amps, you will need an EQ, since the HSE only has one input and one output.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:08 PM
TT Enthusiast

nmcjr, I'm familiar with that volume control system. Read about it on another site a couple years ago while it was in development. $295 seems a bit pricey to me. Wonder if boats will include something like this into their new boats sooner or later. Cars have had this for many years, although I don't know if it works off engine rpms like the hse does?
Old 04-21-2009, 09:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

I think cars work off the speedo, but not 100% sure. I agree it is a little spendy, but I'll tell you its worth it-think of it like perfect pass for the stereo! They have dropped in price a little and I think are now around $250. Oh, and by the way, since your first question was about an ipod, it has a aux input, so you could locate your ipod on the drivers side if you wanted--you would use the top ipod output, but I chose to keep it on the cenet adapter. However, the other expense would be in running RCA cables to the drivers area....anyway, a cool gadget to keep in mind.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcjr View Post
Yes, that is the one, it will work just fine. I got mine from Crutchfield and it is listed as an accesory for the m475 on their site. The cable is not long enough to locate the ipod in the drivers area. I drilled a small hole to pass the cable into the glovebox and just plug it in and don't touch it. With this ipod link, you cannot control the ipod via the ipod, you must use the stereo to control it. The stereo interface it a little clunky, but I usually select a playlist and just let it run. With this you will be able to pause, and also skip forward and back with the transom remote.

A little off topic, but if you are typically pausing while skiiers are down etc. you may want to look at http://www.hsetrident.com/home.html (the volume control). I just added one this year and absolutely love it. Just set your high and low volume levels and then just drive, its great, you won't mute or change the volume levels practically all day. One thing to note is if you have multiple amps, you will need an EQ, since the HSE only has one input and one output.
Does your current remote operate the iPod normally, pause and forward/reverse specifically? If so, do you know which model of remote it is?

Last edited by X-5 Driver; 04-25-2009 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 04-25-2009, 11:24 PM
TT Enthusiast

Mine is a '02, but I don't know what the model # of the remote is. It is the one that does not have a display, it is one of the older models where all the buttons are black.

Yes, pause forward and reverse are all functional.