Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 10-21-2010, 10:59 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1996 Mastercraft ProStar 205 LT-1
OBD connector

Hi everyone! New here.........

I have a '96 ProStar 205 LT1. At full throttle, or close to full throttle, I get a slight hesitation, like a skip, if you will. I have done a search of the forum, and from what I have read, seems to point to the fuel pump. Wanting to further confirm it, I had a mechanic come out with an OBDII tester, only to find that the connector didn't fit on the boat's. He was thinking that maybe it is OBDI. Anyways, he checked his OBDI tool when he got back to the shop, and said it was not the same connector.

Does anyone know if MasterCraft installs it's own unique connector? Or if there is an adapter that exists?
Old 10-21-2010, 11:14 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 1991 Prostar 190, fuel injected 302
You'll have to take it to a dealer to scan it. It's not an automotive computer.

'91 prostar 190
Old 10-21-2010, 04:59 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 94 205 prostar
That is a MEFI plug.(marine electronic fuel injection)You need to use a Techmate scanner or equivelent.You can also jumper the connector to read codes.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:36 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 79 S&S, 87 Prostar Powerslot, 95 Maristar 200VRS
Send a message via Yahoo to ahhudgins
I bought a Codemate tester from Michiganmotorz.com (on ebay). Just plug it into the connector, slide the switch, turn the key on and count the led flashes. If you follow the link below, you can see that I rigged my Codemate and installed a "Check Engine" led on my dash. It's not the same as a diagnostic reader, but it will tell you if you have any stored codes. I may eventually spring for some diagnostic software.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...light=codemate
Old 10-21-2010, 07:13 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 98 Prostar 190 Stars & Stripes, LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kizdan67 View Post
Hi everyone! New here.........

I have a '96 ProStar 205 LT1. At full throttle, or close to full throttle, I get a slight hesitation, like a skip, if you will. I have done a search of the forum, and from what I have read, seems to point to the fuel pump. Wanting to further confirm it, I had a mechanic come out with an OBDII tester, only to find that the connector didn't fit on the boat's. He was thinking that maybe it is OBDI. Anyways, he checked his OBDI tool when he got back to the shop, and said it was not the same connector.

Does anyone know if MasterCraft installs it's own unique connector? Or if there is an adapter that exists?
Sounds like you're describing a misfire to me... 14 year old plug wires I am assuming? An old set of spark plugs? One or the other or both could be a simple culprit.
SPARK PLUGS: AC Delco MR43LTS (gapped to .040")
FUEL FILTERS: AC Delco 25171391 (pump inlet side)
89058397 (pump outlet side)
IGNITION WIRES: Call Inboard Online @ (877) 327-7175 and order part numbers 556010A (odd bank) and 556010B (even bank)
Old 10-22-2010, 09:20 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1996 Mastercraft ProStar 205 LT-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeuck64 View Post
Sounds like you're describing a misfire to me... 14 year old plug wires I am assuming? An old set of spark plugs? One or the other or both could be a simple culprit.
I have about 535 hours on the boat, and was told by the dealer that I am not due to change the wires. I did just change the plugs and the gas filter.

I found some other threads on here regarding this issue, and they did point to the fuel pump.

I added some "Sea Foam" to the gas tank, and will run it this evening when I get home from work. I've heard good things about this product, hopefully it does the trick. No matter what, I am yanking the boat out of the water for the season tonight, and am bringing it to a dealer for winterization and storage tomorrow, and I will also have them check on this issue as well.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:28 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Quote:
I have about 535 hours on the boat, and was told by the dealer that I am not due to change the wires. I did just change the plugs and the gas filter.
Your dealer isn't helping you out on this one. JLeuck64 is giving you sound advice.

Did this problem happen before of after you changed the plugs?

Tandem Axle Trailer Special
Includes: 4 T07 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda
Loadstar KR03 Radial tires, mount and balance
Free Delivery

ALUMINUM WHEEL AND TIRE PACKAGES
SINGLE AXLE 14" PACKAGE STARTING AT $369
SINGLE AXLE 15" PACKAGE STARTING AT $439
TANDEM AXLE 14" PACKAGE STARTING AT $649
LED lights, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts
GOLF CART TIRES & WHEELS

PM me or email tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 10-22-2010, 09:35 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:

I found some other threads on here regarding this issue, and they did point to the fuel pump.

I added some "Sea Foam" to the gas tank, and will run it this evening when I get home from work. I've heard good things about this product, hopefully it does the trick. No matter what, I am yanking the boat out of the water for the season tonight, and am bringing it to a dealer for winterization and storage tomorrow, and I will also have them check on this issue as well.
It's a '95 model boat and it's not die for wires? I can't think of a single motor that wouldn't have been due for wires by now!

You can check for codes without a real scanner, using a paper clip. You can do a search hear for what to do- it has been posted several times and you'll see a lot of other good info along the way.

Step 1- always check fuel pressure first.
Step 2- check spark at all RPM. If you still have the OEM plug wires, I would be very suspect of their integrity at 15 years. Crossfire is a very real possibility.

What plugs did you put in? AC MR43LTS is the one this motor uses and if your parts supplier gave you NGK, they need to be the BPR6EFS and the gap is .045"

You don't have the in-tank pump but it is possible that the inlet screen on your pump is clogged. Usually, this issue is indicated by bogging at/near 3000RPM and improving if you accelerate slowly and smoothly through this range.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:52 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 98 Prostar 190 Stars & Stripes, LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
Did this problem happen before of after you changed the plugs?
Ahhhh... as Paul Harvey would say, and now you know the rest of the story!

Double check your plug wires to be sure they got back on the correct plugs. This is very easy to mix up and will cause a misfire that is MORE noticable at higher RPMs. I know this cuz I have done it ma self before
SPARK PLUGS: AC Delco MR43LTS (gapped to .040")
FUEL FILTERS: AC Delco 25171391 (pump inlet side)
89058397 (pump outlet side)
IGNITION WIRES: Call Inboard Online @ (877) 327-7175 and order part numbers 556010A (odd bank) and 556010B (even bank)
Old 10-22-2010, 09:57 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Ahhhh... as Paul Harvey would say, and now you know the rest of the story!

Double check your plug wires to be sure they got back on the correct plugs. This is very easy to mix up and will cause a misfire that is MORE noticable at higher RPMs. I know this cuz I have done it ma self before
On this one, it's pretty hard to swap the plug wires because their length has less slack than the TBI and I think they may actually be numbered. If it was a standard distributor, I would definitely agree.