Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 08-23-2004, 04:08 PM
buddyowe

Prop change on Maristar 225

I have hopefully attached a picture of my prop, off a '97 Maristar 225VR with the LT1 Corvette Engine. The prop is apparently an "OJ" 14" cupped prop with an 18" pitch and a 1 and 1/8" shaft. As you can tell, it has taken quite a beating.

I have several related questions.

First, is it possible and worthwhile to try to have this prop repaired? My initial read is that these brass or alloy props can NOT be repaired, but I may want to do so if even to carry as an emergency spare, should I break a prop one day.

Second, would anyone recommend a different prop, either brand, or specifications. I have no complaints about performance, but I have not formally tested it and don't push it too hard.

Third, as I was attempting to get the prop off, I noted a large quanitity of what looks like ski rope type material which was fused into the area between the stablizer sleeve and the stainless steel propeller shaft (correct my terminology if I am mis-speaking.) I was not sure if this is indeed some ski rope which I know was once wrapped up in the propeller, or if it is a packing material.

Lastly, I was able to get this prop off with only a rubber mallet. This was fortunate since my flywheel puller would not fit the propeller. Should I go ahead and invest in a $69.00 prop puller (there are some $300 ones out there, but that really seems like overkill) anticipating that I will not likely always be so lucky.

Pictures attached of prop and shaft/stabilizer area. Apologies for the poor focus/depth of field on the shaft. I was using a new camera and not used to it yet.
Old 08-23-2004, 04:27 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1995 PS190
Send a message via AIM to OhioProstar
OJ did a great job on mine. Although it had less dings. Just ship the prop there with the proper return info and contact numbers.

Johnson Propeller, Inc.
750 Natalie Blvd.
Loudon, TN 37774
toll free 1.800.359.9730
fax 1.865.458.0686
info@ojprops.com

And if it slid off easily then most likey the brass key was damaged...next time it might take a bit more. I think there is a harmonic option that seems pretty simple if it works.

Last edited by OhioProstar; 08-23-2004 at 04:30 PM.
Old 08-23-2004, 05:17 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MC Maristar 225 VRS 1994 350TBI
IT is amazing what the propeller people can do.. Send it back, if they can't fix it, buy a new one...

From your pic you will not believe what a difference a rebuilt or new propellor will make...

Your prop puller is probably for a 3 blade

Not sure on your blue string on your strut... Maybe JimN will comment....

I have wanted to try the 14 X 20 4 blade to gain some MPH with my 225.. It seems NO ONE has tried it, at least as far as my contacts go.....
Old 08-23-2004, 06:23 PM
MC Master Poster

Was the boat run when it was out of the water? It almost looks like the bearing in the strut melted, since it's sometimes blue, too. I couldn't see if it was plastic rope, but it is common to wrap one up with the prop. Rope and fishing line, but I don't know how the rope would have been pushed into the strut from the rear. Usually, fishing line gets into propshaft seals on inboard and sterndrive gearcases, causing water to get into the gear oil.

That prop should be able to be fixed.
Old 08-24-2004, 10:53 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Maristar 240 1989 454 cu. in. 13/13 prop.
Hey buddy,

The metal (bronze) thing (what you have refered to as stabilzer) is the STRUT (it does stabilize the shaft!) and what's inside is the cutlass bearing (it's a combination of an outer bronze sleeve with fairly hard rubber inside, the rubber is what allows the shaft to spin). the cutlass bearing should have channels allowing water to flow thru it (cooling)...maybe you can try some judicious probing to see if it's ski rope but it is odd that it's at the rear of the bearing...who knows how much line was actually wrapped up on the shaft...

Wes