Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 07-09-2005, 11:25 AM
TT Regular

Cleaning the Bilge

Hi,

I have a 1994 205 Pro Sport and would like to clean out the bilges, which have an accumulation of engine grease and oil. Do you have any product suggestions or methods, which would not cause the EPA and the entire Federal, State and Local governments to persue me??

Thanks,
George
Old 07-09-2005, 11:36 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 2004 Prostar 209
Liquid dawn works pretty darned well. They even used it here when a truck over turned and dumbed a bunch of vegetable oil all over the highway. They tried everything to clean it up. Dawn cut the grease like nothing else
Old 07-09-2005, 11:40 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: It's always changing! X-Star-Prostar190/205-Maristar
I have always used a few drops of Dishwasher soap. (Not dishwashing soap as it is too sudsy) Put a few squirts in the bilge at the ramp and the swishing around on the trailer on the way home usually loosens and removes most of the grease/grime) When you get home, drain the residual water and soap by pulling your plug. If you wanted to be very environmentaly safe, you could drain the dirty water into a bucket and dispose of it safely.
Old 07-09-2005, 11:46 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
I have always used dishwashing soap. I usually have a bottle in the boat for binding lube.
If the bilge looks like needs cleaning, I pull the plug and let about 5 gallons of water into the bilge, add a few squirts of soap and go skiing.
Then when you pull the boat, pull the plug and drain it out.
It is also a good idea to rinse the soap residue out by putting the plug back in and adding clean water to rinse on the way home, then drain again. (or spray out when you get home.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Scott
If you wanted to be very environmentaly safe, you could drain the dirty water into a bucket and dispose of it safely.
Always!
Old 07-09-2005, 11:54 AM
MC Master Poster

Wipe out most of the grease/oil with paper towels and put them into a plastic bag. The remainder can be cleaned out with a grease cutting detergent (Simple Green, etc) using a wand type toilet bowl scrubber, preferably with the wooley end on it. Once it has been scrubbed out, you can rinse it and see if it's as clean as you want.

If the crud is from oil changes, you can eliminate this by placing paper towels under the filter/plug before starting. I keep plastic jugs(1 gallon size from windshield washer fluid or whatever) and cut the bottom off, about 4"-6" high. When I loosen the filter, I let the oil go into the jug bottom and catch the filter when it comes off. Then, slide the filter and jug to a place where I can take it out of the bilge without spilling. Any spills can be easily wiped up when I'm done.
Old 07-09-2005, 12:46 PM
TT Regular

Thanks all for the great information.

George
Old 07-09-2005, 08:51 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 95 PS 190 EFI
Send a message via AIM to jimmer2880
Just tried the soap in the bilge thing last weekend. Works like a champ! Thanks guys!
"I kept a crabgrass free lawn"
It's time to SKI.
Old 07-09-2005, 09:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 Prostar 205/2005 Maristar 210 VRS - MCX
Overtons sells a bilge cleaner product. I think from starbrite that does wonders. Pour in, add water, and car wash mitt/scrub brush, and slosh around with mitt.

Rob

2005 MariStar 210VRS - MCX - ACME #845
1994 Prostar 205 TBI 350 (previous boat)
2007 Sierra Classic 2500HD Crew Cab
Duramax/Allison 6 speed

War Eagle