Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 07-06-2010, 02:45 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Masercraft, Prostar 190, 1993, 5.8L
Simple Stereo Install for 93 Prostar?

I would like to start my first project on my 93 prostar. I have a head unit that was in the boat when I bought it (minus the faceplate). I was thinking of finding out the make and model of this unit and seeing if I can find a replacement face for it, unless it will not be operable with an ipod. Also, there are no speakers in the boat as of now. I am looking for a medium budget 4 speaker system that I can install myself. Anyone have any suggestions for a mid-nineties prostar. I would like it to be fairly tidy and hidden. Also, I believe I can just tap straight into the battery and not have a seperate battery etc. Thanks for everyone's help here on the board!

JD

1993 Prostar 190
Old 07-06-2010, 03:25 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
JVC makes a nice, inexpensive, single din ipod controlling head unit for about $120. The Polk DB651 speakers are great for the price (check the Polk Direct store on ebay).

A nice 5 channel Amp and Sub would round out the system nicely.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MASTERCRAFT X-9 01 INDMAR 330 HP
i agree with tx, the db651s are a great starter with great sound...seen a new pair on ebay for $47.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:06 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2009 Mastercraft X-45
i would recommend the db651s as well. I just installed four in my prostar with a 4 channel amp and I was definitely impressed with the speakers after I hooked them up to the amp. I think I got all four of mine for about $90 online. Search around and you can find some great prices.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:58 AM
TT Regular

Thanks for the input guys. As far as hooking everything up, do you guys reccommend a spot for amp mounting? I think I can handle most of the hookup, just curious as to where to place things. I guess I will wire amp directly to the battery? Thanks again.

JD

1993 Prostar 190
Old 07-07-2010, 10:22 AM
MC Hero

Yes, wire the amp directly to the battery and put inline fuses on the positive line. Spring for some good wiring for the power and for the speakers, especially if it's a long run. My closed bow has a hump in front of the driver's feet. I have my amp mounted to a board that is held vertical by brackets mounted to the floor. The sub box is on the other side of the amp firing toward the starboard side of the hull under the bow. You can also mount them on the divider between the driver's footwell and the bow storage or on the kickboard. Just keep it off the carpet and mount it so that it can cool properly (usually upright as opposed to flat on its back depending on brand).

Another option is to get some starboard or plywood that you treat with resin and glue it to the port side of the hull under the bow (behind the carpet). Then, mount your amp to that.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:28 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1993 Prostar 190 Blue Stars and Stripes, Powerslot
I put a stereo in my 93 prostar and there are wires under the dash to power it. However, probably not sized large enough for an amp. plus the power is on when key is on or in accessory position, which was fine for me. plus there is a wire for the clock/memory input, under the dash. you could put the amp on the wall between the drivers leg area and the storage area under the front, assuming it is a closed bow. there were holes cut out already for the speakers in the rear of mine but I am not sure if there were ones up front, in the combing pads.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:38 AM
MC Hero

There ought to be cutouts for four speakers. The head unit should be fine just tapping into the wiring for the old stereo. Part of that harness should contain a blue remote wire so that the amp will only power on when the head unit is on.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Old 07-10-2010, 02:21 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1988 TriStar
Check out my Resto thread under "other". I am giving away free West Marine Speakers for who ever wants them. 2 pair.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:03 AM
TT Regular

So I am bumping this thread because I am now getting close to the install of the stereo. I am still debating a couple of issues and wanted some input/feedback.

1. Clarion M309 - I think this is a good head unit for my application. Have not purchased, so would welcome any thoughts on other units. Want to have basic Ipod connection and the ability to upgrade some things later.
2. Polk db651s - in the mail to me.
3. Debating a 4 channel amp to send a little more power to the speakers.

I don't have to have a super loud stereo etc., just something with some decent sound quality. I have also debated possibly adding a sub later, but at this point I don't plan to. A question is should I go ahead with a 5 channel or just do the 4 channel and possibly a separate amp for the sub if I do that later down the road? Also, what kind of difference will I experience with adding an amp for the 4 speakers?

I have never hooked up stereo stuff before but I am pretty handy, and I really don't think this DIY will be very difficult. What I would like some input on is simple install instructions/schematic. Also, what type of wire should I be running from the stereo to speakers/stereo to amp/amp to battery/speakers.

Looking forward to this project!

JD

1993 Prostar 190