Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 09-23-2010, 02:34 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
I've pulled several of my MCs with various V6 Explorers and never had any trouble. Only used the 4x4 on the ramp a couple times but without it I would have been stuck for sure. Way back I had a Bronco II with the 2.8 and pulled 18' Wellcraft. Wouldn't call it the best for towing but it did do it. Brakes seem to be more the issue on a lot of these smaller vehicles. Even with trailer brakes stopping and lane changing with a light vehicle can be a challenge.

I now have an F150 and all is right with the world when towing.
Attached Images

Old 09-23-2010, 02:41 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1992 Prostar 205
I used to have a GMC Safari mini van with the 4.3 V6. It did the job quit well.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:57 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 190, 1991, 351w
I towed a 91' 190 with a v6 front-wheel drive toyota highlander. Never had any problems and the trailer didn't have brakes. Once i had to get a buddy to sit on the hood to get up a slick ramp but otherwise uneventful. Just be mindful that you are towing and stopping and starting will take longer and you will be fine.

Now i use a lexus gx470 for my ps205. It is an excellent tow vehicle but is not required.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:51 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1976 Stars and Stripes - also Beachcraft, Bowrider, 1983, V6 I/O
The "System" - don't try this at home

LONG AGO I spent a summer boating with a couple who pulled their shiny new MC Stars and Stripes with a small Toyota pickup. Four cylinder, manual four speed trans. They had a shell on it, which seemed to help somewhat with traction due to the extra weight over the rear wheels, but they still could never get the thing moving from stopped to pull the boat out of the water at the end of the day.

They added brakes to the trailer (single axle) so they stopped getting shoved through intersections... But pulling it out of the water was always dicey.

I used to sit in the boat and run the engine - yes, in forward - to get the rig rolling when we retrieved the boat at the end of the day. With practice we pulled it off so smoothly that nobody around us even knew what was happening. Never had an issue, never touched the prop to the trailer (trailer had a prop guard so we were not likely to hit the ramp itself with the prop), and never ran it too long so that it came out of the water before I shut 'er down. We had it down to a science, and didn't even need any signals or yelling back and forth -

I sure didn't miss the old 'system' when they finally purchased a full-sized pickup with a V8, and I have never seen anyone do it before or since.

Now, I have an old S&S not that different than theirs was - though now it's a 'classic,' or whatever - still with no trailer brakes, but my one ton Chevy pulls it as if it's not even there.

I have even used my Jeep Cherokee in 2WD (had my hand on the 4WD lever but never needed it) once or twice when the truck was busy elsewhere. I thought I might have to relive the old 'system' with the Jeep, but I guess the off-road tires got enough grip even in 2WD, and the straight six engine put out just enough poop to get us out of the lake and onto the highway.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:00 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Did that once or twice with a relative who had a Ranger and a Supra. It worked - end of story.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $125 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 09-23-2010, 04:31 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
My vote would go to a 4x4 4runner w/ 3.4 V6.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:37 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 Prostar 190, Indmar 351
Send a message via Yahoo to JMann
I have a 2004 highlander limited 4x4 with the V6 to tow my '91 PS190. It tows pretty good but I wouldn't road trip with it. WIth the boat loaded and 4 guys in the car I can tell it's weighted down pretty good.
I would say the boat is 2500 LBS empty and dry
the Trailer is about 1000 LBS (Dual axel with brakes)
Old 09-23-2010, 04:45 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain planet View Post
Now that is funny.

Explorer or Explorer Sport?

I let my buddy pull my 190 down to Tennessee with his Explorer Sport the year I got it. He said it was white nuckles all the way down!
XLT. However, I have been in a 92 Explorer Sport 5 spd pulling a 98 205 and it is positively frightening.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:15 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1991 Prostar 190, fuel injected 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by heypops View Post
Wow!! Great Info !!! Really. Many thanks.

Pleae keep your thoughts coming.....

I have a chance to get a well maintained:
1986 Chevy S-10, under 100.000 oringinal miles ( no kidding... I know the oringal owner)
2.8 liter, 6 Cyl.
4x4
automatic trans

any thoughts ??

Worth-while to consider ?? Or should I pass ??

thanks again.

buddy of mine had the exact same truck. That thing would go anywhere. 2.8's don't have a whole lot of power, but a good running little motor though

'91 prostar 190
Old 09-23-2010, 05:27 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 Maristar 200VRS X2
I use to tow my 190 with a 91 Toyota 4X4 with a 2.4 liter 4cyl, the trailer had no brakes. . I did local and 8 hour trips with no problems. Just stay in 4th gear and look ahead for hills.