Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-22-2010, 10:15 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2000 XStar
Red face Advice Needed

Im a complete newbie... I have a 2000 XStar with 540 hours.. Bought it two years ago in Minneapolis with only 310 when I bought it. About 6 months after I bought it, found out the motor had taken on water a couple of times. Had a tough time finding out why, well.. shortly after, came to my friends slip to find my (new to me) boat going down again. I sure found out how water was getting in after that!! A measly ballast fill valve had gone bad and was continuously leaking into the ski locker, bilge float was stuck and the rubber plug which stops water from entering the bilge area was conveniently missing. I probably don't have to say anymore...

I took it to Bricks Boatworks in Shakopee MN (those guys are great btw), they drained water from the block, removed plugs, changed oil, replaced the starter and alternator. About $1,300 and 6 months later, the sickening feeling in my stomach quickly faded away. The guys at Bricks were not able to find out why the valve was leaking so they install a "on/off" switch in one of the ballast fill lines. So anytime I wanted to fill the ballast, I had to remove a seat turn the switch to on, fill and then turn it off. When its time to dump, switch goes on, dump.. and off. Its a pain the rear. Does anyone know how I would find out where the leak is coming from?

Wish the guy that sold the boat to me would have mentioned this to me. Would have saved me a lot of time and money. But, I guess that was heck of a learning experience.

Since, i now have a temporary fix for my ballast issue, I have been slowly cleaning up the boat and am now interested in installing LED's (as courtesy lights) and underwater lights. I am pretty sure I have read almost every thread on this topic. I will post pics as I progress. Any ideas or tips/hints are greatly appreciated.

Tower speakers and lights-

I have the "knight rider" Boss 3 light tower bar and 2 MB Quart Tower speaks running off of a clarion amp (might be the stock amp) but not sure.. They sound decent while just hanging out but I seriously have a hard time hearing them when I am surfing. That is just not acceptable in my book. When the music is loud enough for me to hear it while surfing, the darn amp fuse blows. The stock Clarion CD player was swapped out for a Sony CDX-M30, and I am constantly asking someone to turn the radio up or down while driving. I just ordered a compatible wired remote but am afraid the sony will not fit where the existing clarion wired remote is installed. Again, any suggestions are seriously appreciated.

I know.. I know.. PICS are needed. They are coming soon.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:04 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1987 Mastercraft ProStar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by amax420 View Post
I know.. I know.. PICS are needed. They are coming soon.
Sorry to hear about your problems and I'm not familiar with the wake boats but glad to see everyone is getting the message.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:29 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 02 ProStar 197TT "Caddy H2O" & 1980 MC Stars & Stripes, "Boss Hoss"
Quote:
Originally Posted by amax420 View Post

I took it to Bricks Boatworks in Shakopee MN (those guys are great btw), they drained water from the block, removed plugs, changed oil, replaced the starter and alternator. About $1,300 and 6 months later, the sickening feeling in my stomach quickly faded away.
I know the guy that owns Bricks, Travis, he is good friend of mine! They do do pretty good work!
Old 09-23-2010, 10:57 AM
TT Newbie

Yeah, I know Travis really well. Travis and Tom have been awesome. I highly recommend them for repairs or just winterization and storage.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:28 AM
TT Newbie

Here are the first set of pics... I will soon be sanding and applying teak oil to the platform. The horseshoe vents are yellow. Replacements are in the mail.
Attached Images

Last edited by amax420; 09-23-2010 at 11:31 AM.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:57 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: PS197
wow,
Hey I'm friends with Travis as well, those guys are great and we always take our boat there for service! Just down the road from us.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:13 PM
TT Regular

Boat: None
I had the exact same X-star for a while (same color and everything) and had a similar intermittent issue with the leak into the ski locker. I don't think mine had anything between the thru-hull ballast intake and the locker except for a bilge pump. It would pump and fill alright, but then it seemed like it would continue to siphon even after turned off. A valve in the line seems like a good, safe way to go but accessibility and hassle is the issue. Replacing the bilge pump with a reversible ballast pump may do the trick. Also just putting a section of the line between the pump and locker at a higher elevation may help if it actually is the same issue that I had of course this would probably require replacing the line with a longer one. I don't think that I had any leaks anywhere.

Good luck.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:30 PM
TT Newbie

Question

Thanks Dreddy, It has been a great boat since the shut off valve was installed. I was afraid that I was gonna have to replace the line. Just cant forget to turn it to the off position when leaving in the water. Were you happy with the sound of the MB Quarts?
Old 09-27-2010, 11:28 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MASTERCRAFT X-9 01 INDMAR 330 HP
The first thing I would check is the MB Quarts, if the speakers are blown or on their way out, it will cause the amp to run hot or to blow fuses. Disconnect your speakers and take them out of the cans. Get out your multimeter or ohm meter and check the ohm load (resistance) across the speaker terminals. If the speaker is a 4 ohm then you should have around 3.5 - 4 ohms of resistance. If it is much greater, then the speaker is likely blown. If it is within specs then it could be your amp. Reconnect your speakers. You will want to check the ohm load at the amp also, this will tell you if you have a short in your wiring and exactly what each speaker is pulling while connected and operating. If you are out of spec at the amp and your speakers are good then you may have a short in the wiring to the tower, check and recheck this! If your wiring is good then its the amp. If you want some serious volume while you are surfing/boarding then upgrade the MB Quarts to a HLCD speaker like the wetsounds pro 60s or 80s or the krypt audios also samson makes an awesome speaker too. If you are only going to replace the amp remember to match the amps rms to the Quarts rms. The rms of the amp can be greater just be sure to turn the gain down so you dont blow the quarts across the lake! I had a pair of quarts and they sounded ok, but for serious volume and sound quality I would recommend a better speaker like wet sounds 650 series or if you are on a budget get yourself a few pairs of polk db651s, they are relatively cheap and sound great.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:44 PM
TT Regular

Boat: None
I never could push the MB Quarts to a volume level that could be easily heard while behind the boat. I had always thought that my speakers and tower lights were aftermarket so I'm frankly a little surprised to see you have the exact same setup right down to the Boss3 cans. Can't remember exactly what amp I had but there was only one. The sub was under the dash pointing at the driver's knees if I remember correctly. It sounded good from inside the boat but didn't have near enough juice to push it out to a rider.

Tags
advice, ballast, led, lights, underwater