Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 03-28-2013, 03:59 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2000 Mastercraft x star - v drive
Question Milky oily water leaked out of transmission!

I have a 2000 mastercraft with indmar v drive. I have loved this boat since the day my family bought it. I had a bilge pump out and noticed after almost filling my hull completely with water. I have diagnosed the water problem coming from the water pump bearing and seal leaking on the pulley side of the impeller housing. I also fixed the bilge pump. When I pulled the boat out of garage to hook up fake a lake(to diagnose where water was intruding) I then noticed oil had dripped out of hull onto the ground. A lot of oil and water. I then used a suction pump and fed tube into transmission to suck out what appeared to be about 2 quarts of milky watery oil! I'm freakish at this point. I drained remaining and filled with fresh oil with intentions of running in driveway with fake a lake to mix and then repeat my process of changing fluid to get rid of any remaining water. When I hooked up the fake a lake and cranked engine I could not get transmission to engage. I moved the throttle forward and engine would rev but prop was not spinning. The tranny made zero noise. It did not seem to engage and the engine was purring beautifully. Any thoughts? Is my transmission ruined??

My best guess is that water penetrated a seal on tranny last time it was run and then leaked out in my hull and then onto the ground in garage. I don't know why it would not engage at all.. It seams like it would have made some noise or grinding or something. Is there a sensor that keeps transmission from engaging for any reason?

Any input would be appreciated.

Mo Money, mo boats, mo problems
Old 03-28-2013, 07:15 AM

Boat: 06 X30
You really should not engage the transmission while out of the water. You can burn up the cutless bearings in the strut pretty fast doing that.

I would think, that if you had forward or reverse working when you pulled the boat last year then there probably isn't much damage to the internal workings of the transmission.

Did you replace the oil with the correct type? I would take the boat down to a boat ramp and try running the transmission there. Check and change the trans fluid/oil to make sure it's not taking on more water.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:16 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLandry View Post
I have a 2000 mastercraft with indmar v drive. I have loved this boat since the day my family bought it. I had a bilge pump out and noticed after almost filling my hull completely with water. I have diagnosed the water problem coming from the water pump bearing and seal leaking on the pulley side of the impeller housing. I also fixed the bilge pump. When I pulled the boat out of garage to hook up fake a lake(to diagnose where water was intruding) I then noticed oil had dripped out of hull onto the ground. A lot of oil and water. I then used a suction pump and fed tube into transmission to suck out what appeared to be about 2 quarts of milky watery oil! I'm freakish at this point. I drained remaining and filled with fresh oil with intentions of running in driveway with fake a lake to mix and then repeat my process of changing fluid to get rid of any remaining water. When I hooked up the fake a lake and cranked engine I could not get transmission to engage. I moved the throttle forward and engine would rev but prop was not spinning. The tranny made zero noise. It did not seem to engage and the engine was purring beautifully. Any thoughts? Is my transmission ruined??

My best guess is that water penetrated a seal on tranny last time it was run and then leaked out in my hull and then onto the ground in garage. I don't know why it would not engage at all.. It seams like it would have made some noise or grinding or something. Is there a sensor that keeps transmission from engaging for any reason?

Any input would be appreciated.

Mo Money, mo boats, mo problems
Shift it manually, to see if it will engage. You can take the cable off and move the shift lever. Spray a bit of WD40 onto the propshaft just above the bearing and rotate the prop to work the oil in.

Have the oil cooler pressure tested (or, you can test it if you have a compressor. You'll need a brass plug, a reducer bushing and a Shrader valve. Remove the oil cooler, thread these parts into the cooler and make sure they're sealing well, pressurize the oil cooler (you don't need a lot of pressure- 20psi should be fine) and immerse it in water- if you see bubbles coming from the inside, it's leaking.

If you see bubbles, you can take it to a radiator repair shop for repair- it's a lot less money than buying a new one and you won't have to worry about getting a part number. If it's not leaking, the shaft seal on the transmission should be checked for black paint on the rubber, next to the opening. If it has paint all over the rubber, use a small hook tool to scrape the paint off. This was a known issue in 2000 and they had a service bulletin for it. If you're not the original owner, it's likely that they never had this done or the dealer never did it for them.

I saw a few transmissions with water getting in this way and was told to add about 1/2 cup of kerosene to the transmission oil when I changed it. Run it, let the oil circulate and the kerosene would attract as much of the remaining water as it can, then repeat the oil change until it comes out free of water. The least expensive way to do this it to buy the transmission oil in gallon jugs.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:26 AM
TT Regular

Boat: mastercraft, x45, 2005, 8.1L
On the two MC's I have owned there is a button that you can pull out by the throttle that will dis-engage the tranny. Have you check to see if this has been pulled out enough to not engage the tranny when you move the throttle?
Old 03-29-2013, 12:03 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2000 Mastercraft x star - v drive
Thanks for the advice guys. I'm out of town for the weekend but when I get back to my shop I will pull the oil cooler off and pressure test. I'm really hoping that is the problem and how water is getting into my tranny. I will repost after. Thanks again.