Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 09-16-2010, 03:09 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 X-Star, LTR
Blowing Water out of Engine

I've been doing a lot of reading on here about various winterization procedures. I want to do the winterization myself, because my local dealer charges $300+ to drain the block, fog cylinders, and add fuel stabilizer.

So, my question is: do any of you use compressed air to blow the water out, rather than just draining the block or adding RV antifreeze. Is this a good way to winterize?

My local dealer claims they do not use antifreeze as it can cause corrosion over time. They say they blow the block out with air.

I've searched around and found lots of threads on adding RV antifreeze, but really nothing on blowing the block out with air.

This is my 1st winterization on my '02 X-Star (just bought it a month ago), so I want to make sure I don't cost myself a short block (or any other damage, for that matter).

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft PS190
I would just drain the block and manifolds if I were you. That way you know for sure there is no more h2o in there.

What part of Western Canada you from? Im in Western Alberta.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:35 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1992 Prostar 205
I don't used compressed air. I don't even think it's a good idea. Just pull the two petcocks in the block, the plugs at the rear of the manifolds, the plug at the bottom of the silencer. Fog it, change the oil... etc. I don't use antifreeze, but I'm in a heated garage. Is your boat outside? You'd want to put a de-humidifier and maybe a trouble light under the cover. If you're in BC, that will be enough to keep it from freezing.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:03 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 X-Star, LTR
I'm in BC. The boat will be in an unheated garage in the Okanagan. Unfortunately, I can't do the trouble light trick because there is no power during the winter.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:15 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
I use JimN's method of running the boat in the driveway and putting three gallons of RV antifreeze through the engine, then drain out as much as possible and removing the four engine plugs and two in the exhaust manifold. Then removing the front hoses from the lower connection point. Cold enough here in MN and I have had no problems.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $125 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 09-16-2010, 04:30 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2002 X30 ltr
i pour atinfreeze into the raw water hose till it comes out the exhaust. familyt has been doing it for years.

Resident TeamTalk Jacka$$
2002 black X30
1973 s&s project
Look for me on CHL!! I am in the black X30 with the stars and stripes flying off the tower!!!
Old 09-17-2010, 03:09 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: PS 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Star View Post
I've been doing a lot of reading on here about various winterization procedures. I want to do the winterization myself, because my local dealer charges $300+ to drain the block, fog cylinders, and add fuel stabilizer.

So, my question is: do any of you use compressed air to blow the water out, rather than just draining the block or adding RV antifreeze. Is this a good way to winterize?

My local dealer claims they do not use antifreeze as it can cause corrosion over time. They say they blow the block out with air.

I've searched around and found lots of threads on adding RV antifreeze, but really nothing on blowing the block out with air.

This is my 1st winterization on my '02 X-Star (just bought it a month ago), so I want to make sure I don't cost myself a short block (or any other damage, for that matter).

Thanks in advance.

For open cooling systems;
Drain block and manifolds of all water (remove plugs).
Re-install all plugs
Remove freshwater inlet hose and insert big *** funnel.
Start engine and begin pouring RV anti freeze into funnel (at same time).
When you get pink liquid coming out exhaust --- shut everything down (takes about 3 gals.)
Drain block and manifolds of all RV anti-freeze (remove all plugs/hoses etc).
You're done - takes me about 10 mins and my boat has seen -45'F in the winter.

Last edited by JDK; 09-17-2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:17 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
I just drain everything and put a funnel on the raw water hose going to the thermostat. Hold that hose up as high as I can and pour rv antifreeze into it. Usually about three gallons or less. Works like a charm.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.

Last edited by east tx skier; 09-28-2010 at 02:28 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:00 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1993 190 with LT1
Quote:
the plug at the bottom of the silencer.
Wha' dat???? Suppose that you mean the mufflers? If so, I have never done that, and have never had a problem.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:01 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: PS 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier View Post
I just drain everything and put a funnel on the raw water hose going to the thermostat. Hold that hose up as high as I can and pour rv antifreeze into it. Usually about two gallons or less. Works like a charm.
Doubtful if your getting much (or any) antifreeze into the block if you're not running the engine while it's hot (thermostat will be closed, and you'll have huge air bubbles unless circ. pump is moving water).