Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-22-2010, 06:28 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2010 X45
B.I.G Help (ballasts)

Hey, I just bought a used x-45 2010. The previous owner installed fat-sacs on the overflow of the original ballast tanks which I understand is common practice.

I was also informed that on the BIG settings, on the Ballast configuration settings, the port & starboard values where changed from 4 to 6.

What I want now if to understand what is going on exactly. The previous owner says that on the BIG display, when port & starboard ballasts are displayed, 100% refers to the ORIGINAL factory ballast only and is measured using a float gage in the tank, however when filling up the tanks, the switches on the right side of the helm will ONLY start flashing once the fat-sac is ALSO full.

This to me sounds conflicting.

My ideal would be that the fat-sacs are now an integral part of the system, meaning when BIG displays 100% it is both ballasts full (factory and fat-sac), and if it says 60%, then that means ONLY the factory tank is full.

Can anyone shed any light on this issue?
Old 09-22-2010, 07:07 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 X Star, 2005 X2
Do not have a BIG or a 2010, but I suspect what you were told is correct.

The relays that control the ballast pumps have had a combination of built in timers and amp load sensors built into their function for the last few years. Blinking, or timing out of the pump, can occur for many reasons and in the 07 - 09s the number of blinks told you the reason for why the ballast pump stopped. I do not know if the 10s are the same. I am sure someone with a 2010 will chime in.

Once the relay reaches its maximum set time, it shuts down and blinks. It may also shut down when there is exceesive current draw due to the pump trying to push more water into a ful system. But if your system is still vented, this is likely not occurring.

Likewise, the pumps usually shut off automatically when emptying when the load suddenly decreases (tank is empty) or the preset time is reached.

The BIG gauge, like the display in the VDIG and the older analog gauges, are simply reading the level of water in the built in tanks. They do not read the level of water or weight in additional sacs as their are no gauges in the fat sacs. The ballast graphical display and the operation of the pumps are not, or at least have not been in the past, linked to each other.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:14 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2010 X45
Thanks for the info, I understand what you said and makes perfect sense for the analog gages, but I hope that in the BIG system the display IS somehow related to the pumps. I know it cannot be directly because there is no measuring "thingy" in the fat-sacs, but I'm hoping that it is via the timer, meaning a display of 80% full would mean the pumps have run for 80% of the timer's preset time.

But let's assume for a second that the BIG thing works like the analog gages as you say, that means that filling to 100% will be based on the timer, which means it includes the fat-sacs. What happens if I tell the BIG thingy to fill up to 90%, would that be pump for 90% of the timer preset time? or pump until 90% of the original tank is full?
Old 09-23-2010, 07:50 AM
TT Regular

Boat: X15 2010
Has anyone ever chanced the pumps to fill the external tanks first and then fill the inboard tanks. That might be an idea, I am just not sure how they would get emptied.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:53 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 X25 - 6.2 Ilmor Baby
I can only speak to VDIG, however I would bet the controller for the BIG is the same! The timers are only relavent to fill time, not empty. If you use overflow install or plug and play, the VDIG/BIG system only tracks the factory hard tanks using a float in the tank, like a gas gauge.

The timers and voltage sensors are there as a fail safe to keep you from burning up a pump.

I prefer the overflow method, with extending the fill time. When we fill ballast it is pretty easy, while filling, just watch the screen, when it says full the hard tannk is full, keep it running and when water flows out the overflow, the bag is full. On empty, since the bag drains into the tank, when the system says empty, everything is drained. This is why I think the overflow method is better than Plug & Play, which does not vent the bags!

Also keep this in mind, per MasterCraft manual, you should fill and empty running the engine at 1500 RPM's to get proper voltage to the pumps to keep from burning them up! We fill standing still and plow at 1500 to empty, this keeps the pumps from timing out.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:31 PM
TT Regular

Boat: X-45 2011 Ilmor 6.0
That's funny, I sold him that boat

webmaster - www.wake.co.il