Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 08-23-2004, 11:04 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 Master Craft X2 MCX
Winterization Procedure

I just purchased my first Mastercraft this spring - a 1992 Pro Sport 205. As we approach the end of summer, I would like to get some opinions on how Winterize the boat. I live in Wisconsin and the winters are cold so I want to make sure I do a good job. Does anyone have a step by step procedure for winterizing - I am obviously most concerned about getting all of the water out of the motor.

Thanks,

Brandon
Old 08-23-2004, 11:32 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
If you look in the maintenance archives on the old board, Jim N posted one. There's also a good article on it on www.aquaskier.com that, if memory serves is from MasterCraft.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.

Last edited by east tx skier; 08-24-2004 at 11:25 AM.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:12 PM
TT Regular

Boat: ,88 Prostar 190
Brandon,

Here's a list and procedure I put together for myself and some friends. I had to .txt it to make it small enough to upload, so sorry for the formatting. Its pretty thorough and I'll admit I don't do everything every year. I got some feedback not to spray everything with silicone, but some people still reco that. The bare minimum is to fog the engine and drain the water from the block. A lot of people don't fill it w/ AF, but I do it for 1) corrosion resistance and 2) piece of mind -- any water in there after draining the block has been mixed in with the anti-freeze. By the way, if you're in WI, you may want to use stronger than 50/50 mix on the AF.

One watchout -- if you use this method, make sure you have a good connection between the engine hoses and the hoses going to your bucket -- I've blown a connection and ended up spewing hot A/F all over. Makes for a good reason to hose down the interior
Old 08-23-2004, 01:44 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: none
I have always used my local MC dealer for winterization. They do all the fluid changes and winterize for about $175. In four years, I have never had a problem and it starts right up in the spring. They tell me that they usually get a couple of boats every spring with cracked blocks from people that didn't get all of the water out. It's worth it for me.
If my dealer weren't so close I would probably do it myself but I'm not very mechanically inclined.
They also make recommendations for preventative maint. and do all the work.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:03 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 205V
http://www.mymastercraft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=337

Should answer any questions you have.

Les Grossman
Old 08-30-2004, 12:44 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 95 PS 190 EFI
Send a message via AIM to jimmer2880
Because I'm paranoid I won't wait until the thermost is open (waiting till temp is 140/160) - I pull my thermostat, drain the block, then start motor to run the anti-freeze through the block. After I have sucked 5 gallons of anti-freeze through the motor, I re-insert thermostat & re-drain block.

Also - on my check-list, I have a list of every tool I need at the top, then also list each tool needed on the line it's needed. That saves from grabing both the 9/16 & 5/8" wrenches when only the 5/8 is needed, etc.

list looks good though. Especially the part about taping the exhaust & jacking up the trailer for the tires.
"I kept a crabgrass free lawn"
It's time to SKI.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:46 PM
MC Hero

Good info. I have a couple of questions though?

1. My drain plug is near the front of my bilge. Although raising the bow is good for getting the water from the ski locker to the bilge, lowering the bow would seem to be more effective at draining most of the water, correct?

2. No reference is made to flushing with antifreeze on raw water-cooled engines. I've always heard mixed reviews as to whether this was really necessary (especially in Texas), but have also heard it helps prevent corrosion in the block. My local dealer has always put antifreeze in my block for winter storage (not a MC dealer). Is it MC's position that the use of antifreeze is not necessary for raw water-cooled engines?

3. And this may be a dumb question, but ... Assuming I do put antifreeze in there, I wouldn't be leaving the engine/manifold plugs out, right?

Thanks.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:57 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 205V
East,

You are correct about the bow position...I would move it in whatever direction that would drain best. Most MC's have rear drain plugs so I believe that is where the comment came from and the procedure is outlined for all models (generic).

As to the great debate over anti-freeze...we use it here as it does get cold enough to freeze blocks solid and we believe that it does aid in decreasing corrosion.

We put the plugs back in and fill the engine with the anti-freeze/water solution. Since it is "enviro" friendly there is no worry at start up time and no mess in the bilge.

Les Grossman
Old 08-30-2004, 12:59 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 95 PS 190 EFI
Send a message via AIM to jimmer2880
I like the added re-assurance of knowing that I not only drained the water out, but put anti-freeze in it's place "just in case all the water didn't drain out".

Also - I put all plugs back where they belong. Theoritically I could drop the boat in & go in the spring (although I do have a de-winterization procedure which involves removing the spark plugs).
"I kept a crabgrass free lawn"
It's time to SKI.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:12 PM
MC Hero

Thanks for the replies. Is any propylene glycol (sp) anti freeze "enviro friendly"?

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club