Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-07-2010, 04:37 PM
TT Regular

Boat: xstar, 2004, mcx,
ah, got it.. I was thinking of doing that test over the weekend and was smart enough not to.. I have heard it can damage things like regulators and ECMs.. so I will definitely not pull the positive terminal while running..
Thanks , I am going to try moving the lugs on the isolator today and will let you know how it goes,
John
Old 09-07-2010, 09:52 PM
TT Regular

I went to the boat today and took the wire that comes from the alternator to the battery isolator and I moved it to the battery 1 and then batter 2 post on the battery isolator. I only got 12 volts even with the engine running at 2k rpm. I think that means I need a new alternator.. Any other ideas before I order the alternator?
Old 09-07-2010, 10:53 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmcalpin View Post
I went to the boat today and took the wire that comes from the alternator to the battery isolator and I moved it to the battery 1 and then batter 2 post on the battery isolator. I only got 12 volts even with the engine running at 2k rpm. I think that means I need a new alternator.. Any other ideas before I order the alternator?
I would take the alternator and isolator to a NAPA or other shop that can test it. If it's bad, I would have it rebuilt to the maximum output for that case, which is 105A, IIRC. If you do upgrade it, you'll need to increase the gauge of the charging lead but it's usually well worth doing.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: * Mastercraft * Stars & Stripes * 1985 * 351 Winsor *
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
I would take the alternator and isolator to a NAPA or other shop that can test it. If it's bad, I would have it rebuilt to the maximum output for that case, which is 105A, IIRC. If you do upgrade it, you'll need to increase the gauge of the charging lead but it's usually well worth doing.
I second that !!!!!

1985 Mastercraft S&S 351w 1:1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95FBtsKj3b4
Old 09-07-2010, 11:21 PM
TT Regular

Thanks I will do that... John
Old 09-08-2010, 07:45 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: none
And let us know where you get it rebuilt...Im thinking on doing the same but would like a decent shop to send it to
Old 09-11-2010, 12:17 PM
TT Regular

Ok, so I took them to the Napa store and it was a bad alternator, the new one was $174 so I bought a new one instead of rebuilding it. This also got me back on the boat yesterday and went star gazing till 1am, saw a few great shooting stars.. I also put new battery terminals on since the old ones were cracked and I couldn't get them really tight...The voltage read 13.6 at idle and 14.4 running so I think I am all set. Going back out today and take a ride on the air chair, that should charge up the batteries... Thanks for all the help. John

Tags
alternator, charging