Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-06-2010, 01:59 PM
TT Regular

Boat: xstar, 2004, mcx,
JimN , I did take the small purple and red wire off the alternator and they both have 12 volts on them when the ignition switch is on. The red 10 guage wire coming off the alternator to the black box in the picture above never gets 12 volts on it. Does that help diagnose it to the Alternator or black box?
I did check the ground on the alternator (and engine / battery) and all are tight and clean.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:39 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC 1999 Maristar 230 sport
The black box appears to be a battery isolator. It could possibly be your problem see link below. Can you find out what type of device it is and do a search on google for it.

http://www.bcae1.com/battiso.htm
Old 09-06-2010, 03:07 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmcalpin View Post
I tried to post a picture of the battery switch and the black box next to it.. The red wire in the middle is from the output of the alternator and I get 0 volts when I read it with the motor off and .34 volts when the motor is running.
I believe this is what you have.
http://www.bellrpg.net/bluewater/MA/...EC=055&GRP=875
Old 09-06-2010, 03:09 PM
MC Fanatic

http://www.bluewatermarinesvc.com/ht..._isolator.html
Basic wiring diagram
Old 09-06-2010, 06:23 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
JimN , I did take the small purple and red wire off the alternator and they both have 12 volts on them when the ignition switch is on. The red 10 guage wire coming off the alternator to the black box in the picture above never gets 12 volts on it. Does that help diagnose it to the Alternator or black box?
I did check the ground on the alternator (and engine / battery) and all are tight and clean.
Your isolator is bad. Do you need to use the second battery all the time? If not, and you want to test the alternator, remove the lead that goes to the alternator and mount the terminal on the stud that goes to the main battery. You need to have the key OFF when you do this. Once you start it, you should see about 13.6VDC on the charging lead and you can check it at the battery if you want. At about 2000 RPM, it should be at about 14.4VDC. If you don't see it increase when you're at high RPM, have the alternator checked.

This isn't an old motor and since it has all of the new electronics, it's not a good idea to remove the positive from the battery post. Removing it can cause a voltage spike and that can kill the ECM.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:38 PM
TT Regular

Thanks JimN , I will try that tomorrow, once I move the Alternator lug to the main battery lug I can run it that way until I get a new isolator , right?

John
Old 09-06-2010, 08:56 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Thanks JimN , I will try that tomorrow, once I move the Alternator lug to the main battery lug I can run it that way until I get a new isolator , right?

John
If you want, you can run it with both batteries on- the isolator is to keep one battery charged when the other is discharging and as long as you don't sit with accessories on, you'll be OK. Both batteries are charging normally, anyway.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:19 PM
TT Regular

Thanks , will try that..

John
Old 09-07-2010, 09:57 AM
TT Regular

JimN , one other question, If I should not remove the positive post from the battery , should I remove the negative post while doing this work, I usually do disconnect the batteries before doing any electrical work on the boat to make sure I do not damage anything ( I have already replaced the ECM once). Do you recommend removing the negative while moving the lugs on the isolator or not?

Thanks John
Old 09-07-2010, 12:14 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
JimN , one other question, If I should not remove the positive post from the battery , should I remove the negative post while doing this work, I usually do disconnect the batteries before doing any electrical work on the boat to make sure I do not damage anything ( I have already replaced the ECM once). Do you recommend removing the negative while moving the lugs on the isolator or not?

Thanks John
I was referring to the old test for alternators where the motor was started and the positive cable removed. If it still ran, the alternator was good and if not, it was bad. If you want to disconnect the battery while you reconfigure the cables, which is a good idea, yes- remove the negative.

Tags
alternator, charging