Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 12-28-2014, 09:19 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Diehard Rock 'N Roll but now country??

So I've been a fanatic of rock music all my life but now I'm starting to like some of the newer country music (Luke Bryan, Jason Aldean, Thomas Rhett, Miranda, Florida Georgia Line)

I think its because newer country has gone with more electric guitar and drums and gotten away from banjo and fiddle. I'm a farm boy at heart but I hated country music for the longest time, now it's growing on me. Do I need therapy?

(Don't get me wrong, still love rock n roll......going to see Foo Fighters in July!)

What do you guys like?
Old 12-28-2014, 09:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: pontoon
I grew up with 70's and 80's rock. Now, there is no new rock, but only pop, so I started listening to country. Now, alot of the so called "country" stars, are boarder line pop singers. Take Taylor Swift for one. They say her new album is pop! Chitl, she's been pop for years now!. I like Garth, Brooks n Dunn ( broke up), Jamie Johnson and a few others that are post twangy "country western" and pre pop.

I do like Hootie and Blowfish better that Darius Rucker by himself as a country singer

I do also listen to a lot of pop music as well.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:34 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
I think most country music produced after 1979 should be killed with fire. Before that, I'm okay with it and even tend enjoy it. Mostly rock in my music world. I haven't heard of any of the people you mentioned, but suspect I would not enjoy them were I tied down and forced to listen to them. There are clear exceptions to my rule of thumb, such as a choice few songs involving Willie Nelson, who is almost not country, and Johnny Cash.

Enjoy what you enjoy, of course. But you asked.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X15 350 MCX
I grew up on Def Leppard, ZZ Top, Metallica, etc. As that type of rock started dying in the mid '90s , I moved over to country music. I listen to all the guys that JerseyDave mentions. My best friend's parents were die hard country music listeners in the 70s and 80s. Whenever I had to ride in the car with him, I thought my ears would start bleeding. Conway Twitty and George Jones were definitely not my style back then. I still don't like very much of the 70s and 80s country.

I grew up and still live in the heart of bluegrass country. The modern bluegrass is also something that I love. Some of my favorites are Lonesome River Band, Don Rigsby, Ronnie Bowman, and Dan Tyminski.

CNC routing, Signs, Plaques, 3D carving/turning, Custom Millwork
Old 12-28-2014, 10:59 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft Pro V 205
Send a message via AIM to jss101
I'm with you, Jerseydave! I've always been a fan of The Who, and the Stones, and classic Rock. I got into Charlie Daniels and Lynrd Skynrd which sort of border on country. Lately though I've been into Jason Aldean, Dirks Bentley, Miranda Lambert, Luke Bryan, Carrie Underwood, and, yes, a little Taylor Swift before she went pop. I find the country music is about real themes - women and living and trucks and normal stuff. Go and listen to the lyrics of some rock and roll and it's some pretty weird stuff sometimes!
Old 12-29-2014, 11:29 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
I like pretty much everything except heavy rap and twangy country. (most country) Favorite bands: Def Leppard, Linkin Park, Glitch Mob. Channels programmed on SiriusXM: (in number order) Hits one, 70's, 80's, 90's, New Wave, Octane, Hair Nation, BPM...

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 12-29-2014, 11:46 AM
jgraham37128

Country is pretty easy to relate too. A lot of music gets so far out there over time no one relates therefore no one buys the music anymore and ultimately it ends up dying. I still have AC/DC. Motley Crue. Guns and Roses in my playlist too though!
Old 12-29-2014, 01:07 PM
MC Addict

Boat: nothing worth mentioning...
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawk View Post
Whenever I had to ride in the car with him, I thought my ears would start bleeding. Conway Twitty and George Jones were definitely not my style back then. I still don't like very much of the 70s and 80s country.
Haha! I worked on a construction crew in the early 80s and they always played that music. I think my ears were bleeding! Remember "Tight Fitting Jeans?" I was a die-hard rock and roller back then (played bass in a few rock bands), but my musical tastes have expanded a lot since. That 70s and 80s country music still makes me nauseous, though. I do enjoy the old stuff like Cash and Hank Sr. and I appreciate the newer "country" music now since it rocks a lot more than before. I still can't bring myself to tune in the country station on the radio or Pandora yet.

Former boats:
2003 Prostar 197 35th Anniversary
1990 Prostar 190
Old 12-29-2014, 02:47 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
I canít stand pop... The only thing worse than pop is pop country! Keep it pure, stop with the cross over one size fits all because IT DOES NOT WORK... Not for me anyways.

I want the rock hard, I want the blues blue, I want the coutry as redneck as it gets, and I want pop and pop country made ILLEGAL. New country for the sensitive man is garbage!!!

So to answer your question, yes, if youíre listening to pop country, you need serious therapy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier View Post
I think most country music produced after 1979 should be killed with fire. Before that, I'm okay with it and even tend enjoy it. Mostly rock in my music world. I haven't heard of any of the people you mentioned, but suspect I would not enjoy them were I tied down and forced to listen to them. There are clear exceptions to my rule of thumb, such as a choice few songs involving Willie Nelson, who is almost not country, and Johnny Cash.

Enjoy what you enjoy, of course. But you asked.

^^^^NAILED IT

This pretty much captures it as well:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VTk3fGpo2Lk

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 12-29-2014, 05:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 ProStar 209
Sorry, I must say: Yes, you do need therapy. Start playing hard rock immediately! No more than 10 minuets of country music daily.