Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 10-14-2014, 09:49 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
long distance craigslist transaction

I have listed an industrial welder on Craigslist, only serious interest has come from a gentleman in Maine.

No red flags after some texts and a phone conversation, we have agreed on a price and he is handling freight with my responsibility to be packaging on a small pallet.

The only issue is how to handle payment without exposing either of us to significant risk.
Paypal is 2.9%, and I've not sure of the protections afforded- if the protections are acceptable I may offer to split it with him.

Any other options I may not be aware of?
Old 10-14-2014, 09:54 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
I wouldn't negotiate on the payment issue. You have the product, he needs to pay for the product to receive it. You're an honest guy, but never assume the other person is.

That's how I'd handle it anyway. If he doesn't want to pay for it, he can find another welder. You don't buy something from ebay and expect to receive it before you pay for it... same thing here IMO.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:06 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 mastercraft p190
Set up a separate bank acct to have him transfer money into and then pull the money/ close acct?

Thought I'd heard of that before.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:08 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft,205,1996
You should send him an invoice through Paypal. He is then protected if you didn't send the item (you will already have his money). I am not sure what the $ limit is for protection, but you should be able to check pretty easily. I purchased a computer from a seller that didn't ship, and I received my refund in 2 weeks.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:09 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1981 mastercraft S & S 351W PowerSlot
Craigslist has too many scammers. Payment up front. Remember the old saying---No Tickey, No Wash.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:25 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
Yea, payment up front.

I've sold two bigger items:

A Wolf Microwave oven that I boxed up and shipped down to Texas. $350 for microwave and $200 shipping. Had the guy pay me Via PayPal $550. I felt comfortable with him via emails, texts and phone calls. Shipped it off and recieved without any issues. Still cost me time to box it up, pad it, etc.....kind of a pain.

A Kohler Bathtub. I am in the process right now but buy is 5 hrs away. They have sent me a postal money order for half ($350) and they will pay the other half upon pickup next week.

These are smaller dollars and I can risk it because they've been for sale a long time. Just got to weigh your risk factor....

1994 205, LT1
Old 10-14-2014, 11:12 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
Absolutely I expect payment up front. I can understand why the buyer is reluctant to mail me a check, and I have heard enough about bad checks that clear and then "un-clear" a few days later to be a little concerned about it.

Sounds like paypal at 2.9% is the way to go, but the "send an invoice" option looks like it is for business customers, and this is a private party transaction (no taxes involved).
Was wondering if there were any other options.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:48 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft,205,1996
I do not believe the Paypal invoice is only for business customers. I have used it for car parts, a computer, etc and I do not have a business account.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1985 stars&stripes
A little off subject, but what kind of welder is so special he cant find one between here and maine? Seems like the cost of shipping would make one closer alot cheaper!
Old 10-14-2014, 03:07 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
I think you can just send an invoice to him via PayPal or he can pay you with just your email. You have the option to call it some type of eBay transaction or something else (where you get hit with the 2% fee), or he can call it some sort of gift (and no fees apply).

1994 205, LT1