Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-05-2010, 09:29 PM
strickland03 strickland03 is offline
TT Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Boat: 2002 Sammy Duval 209
Location: southwest
Posts: 19
2002 MasterCraft 209 Sammy Duval question

So I screwed up, I added a battery and ran it parallel with no capacitor and now it doesn't fire( I know, stupid) . It turns, but no fire. I have removed the second battery and found that one of the 3 relays under the black cap by the ECM is hot and clicking. Is there any way I got lucky and only burned up this part, or did I really mess something up? Any help appreciated!

Also, once I get this figured out, running the batteries in series will work correct? + +- - right?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-05-2010, 09:39 PM
JohnE's Avatar
JohnE JohnE is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
Location: Boston 'burbs
Posts: 8,708
Running batteries in parallel is fine. Running them in series will give you 24 volts and will likely fry everything.
__________________
'97 Prostar 190 - LT-1

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-05-2010, 10:10 PM
strickland03 strickland03 is offline
TT Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Boat: 2002 Sammy Duval 209
Location: southwest
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
Running batteries in parallel is fine. Running them in series will give you 24 volts and will likely fry everything.

I ran the +'s together and the -'s together, so I ran them series I guess. What all did I fry?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-05-2010, 11:01 PM
strickland03 strickland03 is offline
TT Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Boat: 2002 Sammy Duval 209
Location: southwest
Posts: 19
Any other thoughts on what I might have screwed up? ANy chance it was just the heated relay?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-05-2010, 11:23 PM
JimN's Avatar
JimN JimN is online now
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 11,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by strickland03 View Post
So I screwed up, I added a battery and ran it parallel with no capacitor and now it doesn't fire( I know, stupid) . It turns, but no fire. I have removed the second battery and found that one of the 3 relays under the black cap by the ECM is hot and clicking. Is there any way I got lucky and only burned up this part, or did I really mess something up? Any help appreciated!

Also, once I get this figured out, running the batteries in series will work correct? + +- - right?
NO- DON'T CONNECT THE BATTERIES IN SERIES! That would give you 24VDC and these use 12VDC.

Check your fuses, check all of the battery terminals, connections and the ground point on the back of the motor.

Why did you do this- to add current for the stereo? If you didn't have adequate cabling and had too much resistance on the ground cable, you had current trying to find ground through things that don't want it going through them. If you aren't familiar with how to do this kind of connection properly, find out how before you try. The ECM is expensive and if the voltage is too high or reversed and the key is turned ON, you'll fry it.

Putting positive voltage on both of the relay coil's terminals makes a great buzzer. Unfortunately, it won't last long.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-05-2010, 11:35 PM
strickland03 strickland03 is offline
TT Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Boat: 2002 Sammy Duval 209
Location: southwest
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
NO- DON'T CONNECT THE BATTERIES IN SERIES! That would give you 24VDC and these use 12VDC.

Check your fuses, check all of the battery terminals, connections and the ground point on the back of the motor.

Why did you do this- to add current for the stereo? If you didn't have adequate cabling and had too much resistance on the ground cable, you had current trying to find ground through things that don't want it going through them. If you aren't familiar with how to do this kind of connection properly, find out how before you try. The ECM is expensive and if the voltage is too high or reversed and the key is turned ON, you'll fry it.

Putting positive voltage on both of the relay coil's terminals makes a great buzzer. Unfortunately, it won't last long.
Too late, I already did it. I had two in my Nautique that I ran, but I ran a capacitor, for some reason I brain farted and thought it would be fine. Anyway, I did it, and it started once, then the second time I tried to turn it over no fire. It turns but no fire. One of the 3 relays was clicking and hot, I checked the 3 fuses by them and they were fine. Are there any fuses under the steering? I know I screwed up, I just dont know where to start. You think I fried the ECM? How would I check it?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-05-2010, 11:49 PM
JohnE's Avatar
JohnE JohnE is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
Location: Boston 'burbs
Posts: 8,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by strickland03 View Post
I ran the +'s together and the -'s together, so I ran them series I guess. What all did I fry?
Quote:
Originally Posted by strickland03 View Post
Too late, I already did it. I had two in my Nautique that I ran, but I ran a capacitor, for some reason I brain farted and thought it would be fine. Anyway, I did it, and it started once, then the second time I tried to turn it over no fire. It turns but no fire. One of the 3 relays was clicking and hot, I checked the 3 fuses by them and they were fine. Are there any fuses under the steering? I know I screwed up, I just dont know where to start. You think I fried the ECM? How would I check it?
Sounds like you connected them in parallel which is OK. + to + and - to - is parallel not series. Series would be + to - . Aside from that I dunno what your problem is. Jim should be back soon..
__________________
'97 Prostar 190 - LT-1

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-06-2010, 12:00 AM
strickland03 strickland03 is offline
TT Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Boat: 2002 Sammy Duval 209
Location: southwest
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
Sounds like you connected them in parallel which is OK. + to + and - to - is parallel not series. Series would be + to - . Aside from that I dunno what your problem is. Jim should be back soon..
Yea, I jumped a cable from the +'s to +'s, and another cable from the -'s to -'s
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-06-2010, 12:01 AM
strickland03 strickland03 is offline
TT Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Boat: 2002 Sammy Duval 209
Location: southwest
Posts: 19
The one relay had moisture in it, the one that was hot. Maybe they are not related at all and it's just a bad relay
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-06-2010, 12:04 AM
JimN's Avatar
JimN JimN is online now
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 11,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by strickland03 View Post
Too late, I already did it. I had two in my Nautique that I ran, but I ran a capacitor, for some reason I brain farted and thought it would be fine. Anyway, I did it, and it started once, then the second time I tried to turn it over no fire. It turns but no fire. One of the 3 relays was clicking and hot, I checked the 3 fuses by them and they were fine. Are there any fuses under the steering? I know I screwed up, I just dont know where to start. You think I fried the ECM? How would I check it?
A capacitor doesn't work in series unless it's non-polar, which isn't what stiffening caps are- they're electrolytic. Either way, caps don't pass DC unless they have shorted.

Either show a photo of the wiring, batteries and the cap or post a diagram. This is potentially dangerous stuff. When you connect two batteries (let's assume 750 CCA) in parallel and have a possible short on the + connection, you have 1500 Amperes at your disposal. You can do a lot more than weld with that. If you think you did it wrong, remove everything you installed and find out how to do it correctly. Several threads are here with all kinds of diagrams- there's no reason it should be done wrong with a little searching.

Last edited by JimN; 09-06-2010 at 12:08 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:14 PM.