Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-05-2010, 09:29 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2002 Sammy Duval 209
2002 MasterCraft 209 Sammy Duval question

So I screwed up, I added a battery and ran it parallel with no capacitor and now it doesn't fire( I know, stupid) . It turns, but no fire. I have removed the second battery and found that one of the 3 relays under the black cap by the ECM is hot and clicking. Is there any way I got lucky and only burned up this part, or did I really mess something up? Any help appreciated!

Also, once I get this figured out, running the batteries in series will work correct? + +- - right?
Old 09-05-2010, 09:39 PM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
Running batteries in parallel is fine. Running them in series will give you 24 volts and will likely fry everything.

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:10 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
Running batteries in parallel is fine. Running them in series will give you 24 volts and will likely fry everything.

I ran the +'s together and the -'s together, so I ran them series I guess. What all did I fry?
Old 09-05-2010, 11:01 PM
TT Newbie

Any other thoughts on what I might have screwed up? ANy chance it was just the heated relay?
Old 09-05-2010, 11:23 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by strickland03 View Post
So I screwed up, I added a battery and ran it parallel with no capacitor and now it doesn't fire( I know, stupid) . It turns, but no fire. I have removed the second battery and found that one of the 3 relays under the black cap by the ECM is hot and clicking. Is there any way I got lucky and only burned up this part, or did I really mess something up? Any help appreciated!

Also, once I get this figured out, running the batteries in series will work correct? + +- - right?
NO- DON'T CONNECT THE BATTERIES IN SERIES! That would give you 24VDC and these use 12VDC.

Check your fuses, check all of the battery terminals, connections and the ground point on the back of the motor.

Why did you do this- to add current for the stereo? If you didn't have adequate cabling and had too much resistance on the ground cable, you had current trying to find ground through things that don't want it going through them. If you aren't familiar with how to do this kind of connection properly, find out how before you try. The ECM is expensive and if the voltage is too high or reversed and the key is turned ON, you'll fry it.

Putting positive voltage on both of the relay coil's terminals makes a great buzzer. Unfortunately, it won't last long.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:35 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
NO- DON'T CONNECT THE BATTERIES IN SERIES! That would give you 24VDC and these use 12VDC.

Check your fuses, check all of the battery terminals, connections and the ground point on the back of the motor.

Why did you do this- to add current for the stereo? If you didn't have adequate cabling and had too much resistance on the ground cable, you had current trying to find ground through things that don't want it going through them. If you aren't familiar with how to do this kind of connection properly, find out how before you try. The ECM is expensive and if the voltage is too high or reversed and the key is turned ON, you'll fry it.

Putting positive voltage on both of the relay coil's terminals makes a great buzzer. Unfortunately, it won't last long.
Too late, I already did it. I had two in my Nautique that I ran, but I ran a capacitor, for some reason I brain farted and thought it would be fine. Anyway, I did it, and it started once, then the second time I tried to turn it over no fire. It turns but no fire. One of the 3 relays was clicking and hot, I checked the 3 fuses by them and they were fine. Are there any fuses under the steering? I know I screwed up, I just dont know where to start. You think I fried the ECM? How would I check it?
Old 09-05-2010, 11:49 PM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
Quote:
I ran the +'s together and the -'s together, so I ran them series I guess. What all did I fry?
Quote:
Too late, I already did it. I had two in my Nautique that I ran, but I ran a capacitor, for some reason I brain farted and thought it would be fine. Anyway, I did it, and it started once, then the second time I tried to turn it over no fire. It turns but no fire. One of the 3 relays was clicking and hot, I checked the 3 fuses by them and they were fine. Are there any fuses under the steering? I know I screwed up, I just dont know where to start. You think I fried the ECM? How would I check it?
Sounds like you connected them in parallel which is OK. + to + and - to - is parallel not series. Series would be + to - . Aside from that I dunno what your problem is. Jim should be back soon..

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:00 AM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
Sounds like you connected them in parallel which is OK. + to + and - to - is parallel not series. Series would be + to - . Aside from that I dunno what your problem is. Jim should be back soon..
Yea, I jumped a cable from the +'s to +'s, and another cable from the -'s to -'s
Old 09-06-2010, 12:01 AM
TT Newbie

The one relay had moisture in it, the one that was hot. Maybe they are not related at all and it's just a bad relay
Old 09-06-2010, 12:04 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
A capacitor doesn't work in series unless it's non-polar, which isn't what stiffening caps are- they're electrolytic. Either way, caps don't pass DC unless they have shorted.

Either show a photo of the wiring, batteries and the cap or post a diagram. This is potentially dangerous stuff. When you connect two batteries (let's assume 750 CCA) in parallel and have a possible short on the + connection, you have 1500 Amperes at your disposal. You can do a lot more than weld with that. If you think you did it wrong, remove everything you installed and find out how to do it correctly. Several threads are here with all kinds of diagrams- there's no reason it should be done wrong with a little searching.

Last edited by JimN; 09-06-2010 at 12:08 AM.