Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 08-24-2010, 01:37 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1976 Mastercraft Stars & Stripes 351W
Vinyl Stripes on hull original???

My '76 is in dire need of some buffing. But before I do that, the vinyl stripes above and below the main stripe on the hull are peeling off and look like...well...you know.

There is a white stripe adjacent to the main stripe, and then a red stripe outside that...is this original? If not, what should it be.

Also, where is the best place to buy this material?

TIA...

M-Funf.

Name:  129_2988.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  44.9 KB

Our '76 Stars & Stripes

Canis meus id comedit
Old 08-25-2010, 12:10 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1994 PS 190 TBI
Just spent 5 hours showing some love (clean and wax) to my 75. My S & S has a red stripe also, but it touches the metal flake. No white shows in between. Mine cleaned up like a dream. Several places it looks like I went back 35 years.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:17 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1978 Stars and Stripes, PCM 351 (60hrs)
Yup, it's supposed to be there. You should be able to pick up vinyl pinstriping on a roll from any auto body supply shop. I've got about 1/2 to 3/4" of space between the vinyl stripes and the metalflake like yours.

Looks like you need the flag shield stickers just like I do. I'm going to try making some with a vinyl cutter, but better would be to have them screen printed.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:26 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1988, ProStar 190, 351w
I found a pinstripe removal tool like this one is worth its weight in gold. You can find them at a local auto body shop as well, I think I paid about $11 - was not 3M like the one in the link but worked fantastic.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:56 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 Prostar 197 TT #11
Hair dryer works pretty well at assisting in vinyl decal removal too.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:58 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
I did some stripe removal on my boat. Heat gun on low or a hair dryer works well. Watch the stripe as it comes off. If it starts to stretch, take a break because it is too hot and is about to snap. If you can get your heat and pull just right, you can get long strips off in one pull. It's tedious, but relatively easy work to remove it.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:30 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1976 Mastercraft Stars & Stripes 351W
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellinghamster View Post
Yup, it's supposed to be there. You should be able to pick up vinyl pinstriping on a roll from any auto body supply shop. I've got about 1/2 to 3/4" of space between the vinyl stripes and the metalflake like yours.

Looks like you need the flag shield stickers just like I do. I'm going to try making some with a vinyl cutter, but better would be to have them screen printed.
Thanks, that helps. I've got the flag decals in my drawer waiting to be put on. Just want to get it buffed and waxed before I put them on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier View Post
I did some stripe removal on my boat. Heat gun on low or a hair dryer works well. Watch the stripe as it comes off. If it starts to stretch, take a break because it is too hot and is about to snap. If you can get your heat and pull just right, you can get long strips off in one pull. It's tedious, but relatively easy work to remove it.
Good info, ETS. Thanks.

Our '76 Stars & Stripes

Canis meus id comedit
Old 08-25-2010, 12:22 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1988, ProStar 190, 351w
Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier View Post
Heat gun on low or a hair dryer works well. Watch the stripe as it comes off. If it starts to stretch, take a break because it is too hot and is about to snap. If you can get your heat and pull just right, you can get long strips off in one pull. It's tedious, but relatively easy work to remove it.
I have used heat in the past with success; however, I tried the heat method on my 88 that spent a LOT of time in the sun. It did not work well at all on the stripes, they were really stuck on there and were so deteriorated that they would break even when heated. Try the heat, if it is not easy, get a pinstripe removal tool and stick it in your drill.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:45 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1980 Mastercraft S&S Powerslot, 351 Windsor
Send a message via AIM to americanskierJim
Hello M-Funf,

Here I found the side flag not sure if it the same one but thought I might help you out. It is a Correct Craft Boat sticker but might be that same one that was used on your MC.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...d=150372445965
Old 08-26-2010, 12:19 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1978 Stars and Stripes, PCM 351 (60hrs)
I'd found a couple places that sell them. The closest to the original (gold USA instead of white, square periods instead of round) are at: http://www.shopwhitelake.com/decalusaflag.html for $12.50 ea.

A pair for $20 at http://www.garzonstudio.com/CorrectC...rectcraft.html, but it's not an exact match to what I think was original on my boat