Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 08-30-2010, 06:56 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2008 X Star
If I were to get a new diesel for a tow vehicle I would look at the cummins.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:18 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: none
You wont get as good of mileage with a new TD as the older ones due to all the emissions bs that the govt has made manditory as of 2007

I stripped my 2006 Duramx of all emissions, added efi live and a some other goodies and can easily get 23 mpg FLYING down the highway at 80mph unloaded, put the Maristar 230 on the back and it drops a bit - 19-20mpg. Im a very aggrissive driver and I do use all of the 500+ hp on tap. If I had a light foot im sure id see much better #'s

You will be able to do pretty much the same once the aftermarket catches up with the '11 stuff..but you will have more items to get rid of such as the DPF

Id second not touching a new ford TD until they have been proven, they just havent got them right since the 7.3l

Cummings, yeah they make a great motor...too bad the truck is just an expensive shipping crate for it.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:31 AM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
I've heard good reports about the Duramax. One friend pulls a 42 foot Sonic offshore and I have another that pulls a 12K lb. 5th wheel trailer with his '06 Duramax. The new ones have even more torque.

Ford 7.3 is the only one to have according to my friend (shop foreman) at the dealer. Ford tried to increase hp on the 6.0 buy upping the turbo boost, which causes some issues (blown head gaskets). The older automatics were too weak, that's why they came out with a new trans.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:40 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: maristar 230
I heard the option is 7k fr the diesel. I also heard they are pushing 26 arund town and 29 on a long trip on interstate. I have not seen it with my own eyes yet, but if I do it sounds like a truck to have. You go gas and you just do not have that pull of a diesel. Nothing like coming into a hill and just call on the engine and have it pull to the top. Nothing like a diesel. Miss it and use my fathers as much as possible for the tow vehile and his is an 2010
Old 08-30-2010, 08:42 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X30
You shouldn't need anymore than a 1/2 ton to tow these boats. Most can tow over 11klbs. We down graded from 250's to 150's for tow vehicles because they were so much nicer to drive and parking them in tight places was much less hassle.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:14 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlcrichardson View Post
I heard the option is 7k fr the diesel. I also heard they are pushing 26 arund town and 29 on a long trip on interstate. I have not seen it with my own eyes yet, but if I do it sounds like a truck to have. You go gas and you just do not have that pull of a diesel. Nothing like coming into a hill and just call on the engine and have it pull to the top. Nothing like a diesel. Miss it and use my fathers as much as possible for the tow vehile and his is an 2010
The 7k adder is about right, but change 26/29 to 16/19 and that would be closer.
Oh yeah and nothing like a diesel.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 08-30-2010, 10:56 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 Prostar 195 w/ LTR
Eric -

2011 GMC/Chevy HD has a new frame, suspension, steering, diesel, slight sheet metal and cosmetics. I have driven a captured test fleet vehicle and ride quality is tremendous for a HD truck - definitely better then the 2010. Yes, a denali package is now available on the HD. The diesel I drove got low - to mid 20's on the hwy and I'm an average to aggresive driver. Around town mid-upper teens. The 6.0 gas engine has improved slightly for MPG, but the diesel will get better mpg's. The 6.0 liter will be around 15 mpg's, maybe 16 - 18 if you take it easy. Like many on here I am not a fan of the DPF, but necessary evil to comply with today's tough EPA standards. Two small issues on initial launch - but already corrected and changes made at the plant. By the time you order any early issues will be resolved. 'm looking to order a 3/4 ton diesel to tow our 30 foot travel trailer. Hope this helps.

MIMC
Old 08-30-2010, 11:12 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 1991 Prostar 190, fuel injected 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott023 View Post
I wouldn't touch a new Ford with a 10 foot pole. Give them a couple years to get the new diesel figured out.
agreed, in fact I know of quite a few companies that went from ford diesels to the gas engines because the diesels are such piles. Our company has ran ford diesels in the field long as I can remember, and we just bought a whole load of gassers

'91 prostar 190
Old 08-30-2010, 12:03 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Used to have 2006 X-45....
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1redTA View Post
I see gmc has a Denali edition of the duramax now. has to be NICE
Nice!!!!!!!!! I hope to see one soon. Since the Ford Excursion with diesel is no longer being made, it has been impossible to find a Diesel that holds more than 6 persons. That is huge and I know in Utah (big families) these things will sell like hotcakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barritia View Post
You shouldn't need anymore than a 1/2 ton to tow these boats. Most can tow over 11klbs. We down graded from 250's to 150's for tow vehicles because they were so much nicer to drive and parking them in tight places was much less hassle.
'These boats'...I would not include my X45 in that. My 2005 Ford Excursion pulls my X45 so much better than my Toyota Tundra, which is rated to pull nearly 10K. The Ford F150 has towing capacity of around 9K so I doubt it would pull it any better. And my diesel is the old 6.0. The big difference is on the highway. I thought there was very little difference at first, until I took the boat on the highway going more than 55 MPH. That is where having a diesel really makes a difference.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:44 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallRedRider View Post
Nice!!!!!!!!! I hope to see one soon. Since the Ford Excursion with diesel is no longer being made, it has been impossible to find a Diesel that holds more than 6 persons. That is huge and I know in Utah (big families) these things will sell like hotcakes.
He means the Denali Silverado..