Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 08-27-2010, 10:42 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2003 MC X-9 350 MCX
need hints on skiing position on Podium

Normally I ski a Maja ski, which is a great piece of wood and really quick for a large ski. At 6-3 and 210 pounds, I need a large ski.

Tried out a new O Brien podium yesterday, and a couple of things I need help on:

A: I got a lot of spray from my ski. Should I change my position? I upped the speed from 32-34 and that maybe helped a tiny bit.

B: it was exhausting compared to skiing on the maja. Any hints?

C: starts were a bit tougher than a maja -- which makes sense based on size. I used a quicker throttle on the Podium and that seemed to help. I assume that makes sense.

Thanks. I am a free skier and not that great -- did not start til I was 46.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 ProStar 190/454HO
I can only answer A from my own experience, not being familiar with your skis. I spent a year skiing with spray at 32.5 mph, and found out when I went to 34 that all the spray went away. Given your height and weight, i'd think 34 would be sufficient -- is that GPS or speedo? I'd try pushing your speed another mph or so. it takes some getting used to faster speeds, but I find the spray problem completely goes away

Also on tired -- the faster speed really took the wind out of my sails -- you get used to it though, and condition for it. I think it is just about managing your energy expenditure differently... dunno if that makes sense... basically, training at that speed builds stamina at that speed.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

Another thought: can you adjust your binding placements at all?
Old 08-27-2010, 02:30 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconover View Post
Another thought: can you adjust your binding placements at all?
Thanks for feedback -- and yes I believe I can adjust -- which is why I wanted to know if I should move up, or back, on the ski.

As for the speeds---we have GPS speed. I saw little difference in the spray at 32 versus 34. Then again, the water conditions were sloppy so I never did get any kind of long run through glass and could never get in any kind of groove.

As for the ski's -- the maja is longer and is equally wide from stem to stern.
The Podium is a little wider near the front foot boot but narrower aft of that and shorter over all as well than the maja.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:45 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
I bought a Obrien Mapple a few years ago (not sure if the Mapple was renamed the Podium or not) and found it took a lot of fine tuning with the binding locations and fin settings to get it to ski the way I wanted. It does take more effort to ski and it will tire you out sooner, especially if it is not setup correctly.

I also have a few old woody Mahas, fun and forgiving to ski on. I even ran mine thru the course a few times.

I dont have problems with spray at any speed, but I am about 50 or so pounds lighter.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:41 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: mastercraft, X-30, 2004, MCX.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski_king View Post
I bought a Obrien Mapple a few years ago (not sure if the Mapple was renamed the Podium or not) and found it took a lot of fine tuning with the binding locations and fin settings to get it to ski the way I wanted. It does take more effort to ski and it will tire you out sooner, especially if it is not setup correctly.

I also have a few old woody Mahas, fun and forgiving to ski on. I even ran mine thru the course a few times.

I dont have problems with spray at any speed, but I am about 50 or so pounds lighter.

6'3" and 160 is light.........
Old 08-27-2010, 03:51 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski_king View Post

Thanks -
I would not think the Podium is the Mapple -- not sure, but I would think the Mapple would have been a more advanced ski than the Podium. Having said that, the comments about fatigue, bindings, etc are probably all true.

And yes, the maha's are fun skis and very nimble for their size I think. Stunning looking too.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:52 PM
MC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX.X-30 fan View Post
[/b]

6'3" and 160 is light.........
I should have added 5'9, 160#
Old 08-27-2010, 03:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

I am right at your weight, Age, and I do share your spray problems - -I ski an O'Brien Siege 68 right now. I have the added challenge of supporting two other guys that are 70 lbs lighter than I, since we ski together. I could do some measurements for what it is worth, if you want to try some different settings.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:18 PM
MC Addict

You may want to take a look at the Obrien Sequence. I believe this replaced the Syncro. I also have one of those and I love that ski. You can ski it as agressive as you want and it is still forgiving.

My Mapple dosn't get used much since I found out how nice the ski rides. Plus it is a little wider and easier to get up on.