Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 07-06-2005, 10:49 PM
TT Regular

Leaking into the ski storage

Hi all you nice people,

I have now figured out what is the problem with my ski storage water problem. 1.) It is poorly designed: in that water flows foward when the boat is flat and goes into the ski locker. 2.) As suggested here by a knowingly full owner it is around the gasket. 3.) I cannot get it dry or oilless because of the boats design.

So, I need some help here. Are there any sealants that could adhere to both wet and oil(which I doubt, but must ask). Or is there a nut that connects the gasket, which holds the plug, which I could remove and caulk? I noticed that I can remove the floor boards behind the locker and see the rear of the locker where the "nut" might be. Maybe I am the "nut" but I am trying to fix this mess, which I believe originates from the packing leaking. But fixing that will not solve the long term problem.
ERGO, I turn to you, O' Wise ones for help.

The mechanically impaired,

George.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:58 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Former Prostar 205 owner upgraded to an 05 Malibu vRide
I hear ya, George. But the problem with plugging the hole would be the water that does get in there, won't ever get out.

You could get a stainless bolt & nut that would be long enough to go all the way thru the hole. Put stainless & rubber washers on each side, caulk it with RVT silicon & then just tighten it up.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:52 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2004 Prostar 209
My ski locker has a plug in it, but I leave it out. I usually keep the bilge on automatic so when ever I plane off, water should drain back to where the pump is located. If you want to plug the hole why not just use a cork???
Old 07-07-2005, 01:19 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '94 Prostar 205
I purchased a new plug with a tight fit only to discover the water was seeping in from under the 'dam' or plate between the locker and engine. I removed and recaulked a couple times, last year and again this year, with no success. The oily water eats through the caulk. Thought about a rubber gasket/seal but don't think I could get it tight enough to the hull and side to seal the water out. I was planning on removing the caulk again and fiberglass it in place unless anyone else has any other suggestions.

For now, only store the crappy skiis in there because of oily residue.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:47 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2000 Pro Star 205
Thats not a ski locker, its a location for a fat sack. Who cares if that plastic bag gets oily

I could see how it would be annoying that your skis were all grimy. I cleaned mine up pretty good with a biodegradable cleaner (Blastoff used by the NAvy on aircraft carriers) and blasted the whole locker out with water. Still a little greasy but much better.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

3 months and still dry !!

I may have found a solution to keeping the ski well dry. First removed the dam between engine compartment and ski well, cleaned it up real good, then "recaulked" it with an automotive gasket sealant.

Its been 3 months and the well is still dry! If stays dry I'll cross that off my pet peeve list.
Attached Images

Old 06-14-2006, 01:54 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
I thought that was a live well for fishing.

I take the shop vac to mine once a season and it stays totally dry for months (the winter months).

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 06-15-2006, 05:52 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 95 PS 190 EFI
Send a message via AIM to jimmer2880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash
I may have found a solution to keeping the ski well dry. First removed the dam between engine compartment and ski well, cleaned it up real good, then "recaulked" it with an automotive gasket sealant.

Its been 3 months and the well is still dry! If stays dry I'll cross that off my pet peeve list.
Did you caulk the whole shut, or just around the gromlet? I really need to do this to mine, but haven't figured out if I want to just "glass it in", or use some caulk.
"I kept a crabgrass free lawn"
It's time to SKI.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:19 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 Prostar 190
If you need a plug, go buy a nice bottle of wine with a real cork in it.

Drink wine

whittle the cork down until it fits snug in the hole

BTDTGTS
Old 06-15-2006, 12:20 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmer2880
Did you caulk the whole shut, or just around the gromlet? I really need to do this to mine, but haven't figured out if I want to just "glass it in", or use some caulk.
I left the hole through and plugged with a rubber plug, just in case....

But that fiberglass wall the hole is in was screwed to the boat hull and the seal around it was caulked. But the caulk had deteriated from the oily-water from the engine compartment and was continuously leaking. Until I used the gasket caulk which doesn't deteriate from petroleum products.