Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-22-2010, 09:17 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1995 prostar 190 lt1 powerslot
Another raw water pump question

i have noticed a very small drip from the rear(engine side) of my raw water pump. i have the lt-1 and the pump number is 68-5020. i am sure this has been happening all of this season. there is no cooling issues to speak of only a drip every 3 seconds or so. i checked skidim and found a replacement pump for $244.00 . i hate to replace when i have zero cooling issues. is there a seal/rebuild kit available?
Old 08-23-2010, 09:12 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1988, ProStar 190, 351w
Did you see that skidim also sells just the seals/bearings? I don't know which seal is for your particular pump, but I am sure they will if you just give them a quick phone call. I think they are standard seals, so you can probably order one from any number of sources once you know the dimensions or part # (which is usually stamped on the seal).
Old 08-23-2010, 09:27 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X-Star, 2001 5.7L LTR
NAPA sells all the parts to rebuild the pumps also. I would bet that NAPA sells them cheaper and you don't pay shipping.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:36 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 ProStar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95prostar View Post
i have noticed a very small drip from the rear(engine side) of my raw water pump. i have the lt-1 and the pump number is 68-5020. i am sure this has been happening all of this season. there is no cooling issues to speak of only a drip every 3 seconds or so. i checked skidim and found a replacement pump for $244.00 . i hate to replace when i have zero cooling issues. is there a seal/rebuild kit available?
I had the same issue a couple years ago and everyone here said replace the pump but I got this first for $19 before buying the entire pump and I haven't had a problem since. I don't have the LT-1 so I don't know if this will work....call skidim and ask.

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=68-5004

Quote:
If your pump is leaking from the back side it is normally caused by this seal being worn or deformed. Be carefull when removing or installing your impeller and dont let the impeller **** to one side and try to force it in. If you put lateral pressure on the impeller shaft it may distort this seal causing a leak.
Funny! I copy and pasted this from skidim and where the stars are in the quote says "don't c o c k it to one side"...I'm more that sure skidim had no sexual inuendos in mind when describing this part but TT thinks so
Old 08-23-2010, 08:54 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1995 prostar 190 lt1 powerslot
7.4 There is a small amount of water dripping from the water-circulating pump on the front of my engine. Is this normal?
Yes, it is not unusual for a small amount of water to drip from the weep hole on the underside of the water-circulating pump. The seal in this pump is cooled and lubricated with water so a small amount of water leaking from the pump is possible. Leak rates of a drop of two every 5-10 seconds is not excessive. Leak rates higher than that or a steady stream of water indicated that the seal has been damaged and the pump should be replaced with a new or remanufactured marine circulating pump.

If you run your boat in extremely shallow water or run it aground, it is possible to draw sand or other debris into the engine, which could damage the circulating pump as well as the seawater pump.
Is this normal? sounds like my issue. is this really normal? does your pump drip?

Last edited by 95prostar; 08-23-2010 at 09:02 PM.