Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 08-19-2010, 07:47 PM
TT Regular

Boat: MC, ProStar 190, Indmar
Tiny Gas drip from TBI overflow outlet

Hi guys happy week end up coming, I have a tiny drip, drip, drip of gas from the connection valve for the overflow of gas from the TBI, newt to the fuel pump supply line hook up to the top of the engine. How dangerous is it? obviously its not optimal but can i live with it for the week end? thanks for your experienced opinions. Is there product sealant or jb weld that i can put at the connection instead of having to take the line appart to stop the drip?

Last edited by wakesurfer; 08-19-2010 at 07:51 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:49 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1991 Prostar 190, fuel injected 302
I wouldn't....gas vapor in an engine compartment plus spark when starting or something equals big bang and you plus all your chit go flying.

'91 prostar 190
Old 08-19-2010, 07:50 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakesurfer View Post
Hi guys happy week end up coming, I have a tiny drip, drip, drip of gas from the connection valve for the overflow of gas from the TBI, newt to the fuel pump supply line hook up to the top of the engine. How dangerous is it? obviously its not optimal but can i live with it for the week end? thanks for your experienced opinions.
It's dangerous. ANY fuel dripping is dangerous and when it comes in contact with a hot motor, it's more dangerous.

I doubt that I'm the only one here who doesn't want to read about your boat blowing up this weekend. Fix it.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:03 PM
TT Regular

Thank you very much for your good intelligent input, is there anything to caulk or seal the connection without having to remove the metal line?
Old 08-19-2010, 08:37 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Thank you very much for your good intelligent input, is there anything to caulk or seal the connection without having to remove the metal line?
No. If there was, they may have used it from the factory. The rubber O rings are what you need and these have a special double O ring design.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:41 PM
TT Regular

thanks for the double o ring info never heard or saw that ? any idea of part number or link to get it? thanks for your time
Old 08-19-2010, 10:38 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
thanks for the double o ring info never heard or saw that ? any idea of part number or link to get it? thanks for your time
If you remove a short section of the fuel line with the fittings and go to NAPA or other good auto parts store, they should be able to set you up.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:55 AM
TT Regular

thanks for the heads up, i unscrewed the valves and wrapped the threads with teflon tape, screwed them back in and no more drip!, I just have a tiny bit of "sweating" at the supply line connection when the engine is running? is that normal? i wipe it with my finger and it does smell of gas but no drip anywhere else . thanks
Old 08-21-2010, 09:24 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
thanks for the heads up, i unscrewed the valves and wrapped the threads with teflon tape, screwed them back in and no more drip!, I just have a tiny bit of "sweating" at the supply line connection when the engine is running? is that normal? i wipe it with my finger and it does smell of gas but no drip anywhere else . thanks
Do this at your own risk but at some point, it needs to be repaired properly. Teflon tape doesn't fall in that category. Gas eats through many materials and fuel lines, seals and O-rings need to be made of Neoprene. If you can smell gas, it can and will combust when it meets spark/flame if it's in the correct ratio with the air.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:03 PM
TT Regular

thanks
ran the boat today and wakeboarded for 5 hours, no leak or drip just tiny sweating from that supply connection, we checked it every twenty minutes or so, it didnt get worse, ran the fans the whole time and removed the drink holders on engine cover to relieve any fumes.
Your recomendation is taken seriously and the voice in my head agrees that what we've done can not be permanent. Thank you again.