Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 08-23-2004, 12:00 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 MariStar 210VRS 330hp Tower, Ballast, Bimini, 400w Clarion
I'm Back

Well, I'm back from 3 weeks vacation in the BC interior. You guys have been busy -- 23 PAGES of unread TOPICS, some of which have dozens of posts, to read thru... it's gonna be a long time before I get caught up.

Brian - any day now?
Andre - survived your 4 weeks?
Doug - still the man - leadin the way.
Lakes Rick - still keeping smiles on everyone's faces?
MarkP - I assume you got some great skiing in this summer?
JimN - still the mystery man
(too many members to mention - sorry)

I'll try to get caught up over the next couple of weeks - talk about prolific - nothing like last year...

- - - - - - - - -

We had a great 3 weeks - total of two and a half days of rain -- only two and a half days where temps dropped into the high 70's from the 90's...

Some stuff that might be of interest:

- Doug, I ended up buying a 68" Mapple - it's a little too much ski for me, but my son's improvement was amazing once he had a few sets on it. I'm sure I'll get used to it - it sure is 'twitchy'..

- I also gave up on the 'CIPA Extreme' mirror - broke down and bought the MasterCraft Tower mount & mirror - the 'Extreme' was always in the way of the Walk-through

- dealer installed Stainless Steel inserts ("keenserts") in the threads for the tower mounts - risk of cross-threading greatly reduced.

- replaced two ballast pumps under warranty - new ones seem to work better.
- except for the 2.5 days of rain, we burned 20 - 30 gallons a day . Marina was still charging $105.9 / litre [bandits!] for marine 91 Octane, so I filled up from jerry cans for $0.825 / litre - saving me $30 per fillup

- I still have 12 of the 27 warranty items outstanding, so I'm gonna take it back to the dealer at the end of the season to get them finished. The weather was just too good to give the boat up for several days.

- Wakesurfing is a great pasttime when the water gets too choppy for skiing or wakeboarding. I couldn't believe how many people I saw wakesurfing behind I/O's All of us (wife, son, daughter, self) managed to toss in the handle and surf for at least some distance.

- Upgraded the stereo to the Clarion XMD3 - it has aux inputs and does a way better job of playing burned CD's than the XMD1 that was in it before. It also has an LCD display (instead of LED) so you can read it in sunlight

- If you've been following my thread on MyMasterCraft, you'll note that the re-location of thepaddlewheel hasn't been without problems... I'm pushing the dealer to move it again.

- 3 weeks in 80-degree water sure puts a green scum on the boat.. This is the first time I've left a boat in the water for the full 3 weeks without taking it out for a couple of scrubdowns.. My old faithful cleaners didn't work - I'm gonna look through the forums for what you guys use.

- The bimini was a lifesaver - no way I could have spent as much time on the water (even with SPF 30) without it.

- We put 88 hours on the boat in 3 weeks! - almost double what I usually put on in a whole season (season is short here).

- Witnessed zero accidents on the water this year, although we did get into a fist-shaking and name-calling exercise with a couple of brain-dead Sea Doo owners who were jumping the wake while I was wakeboarding (I suck at it and fall a lot - I would have got run over)

- This was my first full vacation with a MasterCraft (bought it nearly at season's end last year). I only wish I would have bought one years ago.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pristine, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "-- WOW--What a Ride!"
Old 08-23-2004, 12:10 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 09 214 Prostar
Cool Welcome Back

Neil,
Welcome Back, we just back from a week of vacation also, tons of fun. We had a minor prop problem putting her in the water , glad we had a spare!
But more important I'm back skiing again after a three month hiatus .
Old 08-23-2004, 12:11 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: MC Maristar 225 VRS 1994 350TBI
OK OK Now shut up and put some pics on the "bathing suit " thread.......
Old 08-23-2004, 12:13 AM
MC Devotee

Geez Rick, my kids keep telling me I don't look too good in my speedo..

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pristine, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "-- WOW--What a Ride!"
Old 08-23-2004, 07:15 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft ProStar 205 DD
Hey Neil,

Sounds like you guys had a terrific vacation. Did you stay in the camper for 3 weeks? 88 hours on the boat that is awesome! I'm not sure what to tell you about the scum line. Becareful though you don't want to hurt the gel coat. Yes, we're getting really close with the baby. Anytime now is right. However if she doesn't having it by 2 Sept they're going to induce her. Thanks for asking.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:53 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: It's always changing! X-Star-Prostar190/205-Maristar
Neil,
I have been using "SNo-Bowl" Liquid (not the gell stuff!!) for years to remove stains from the bottom of my boat. Works great and is very inexpensive. Just put it in a spray bottle, spray it on, wait about 10 minutes and rinse. You'll be amazed at what $1.89 worth of toilet bowl cleaner can do.

Tom
Old 08-23-2004, 08:58 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: ProStar 190 1996 LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Scott
Neil,
I have been using "SNo-Bowl" Liquid (not the gell stuff!!) for years to remove stains from the bottom of my boat. Works great and is very inexpensive. Just put it in a spray bottle, spray it on, wait about 10 minutes and rinse. You'll be amazed at what $1.89 worth of toilet bowl cleaner can do.
T Scott what does it do to the paint on your trailer??
Old 08-23-2004, 09:17 AM
Leroy

Great vacation story Neil! Sounds like you had a great one! Will be looking for some pix from the adventure!

The new message board is great, seems to be even more messages and people joining, I'm worried about this winter when people really get time on their hands!
Old 08-23-2004, 11:09 AM
MC Devotee

Brian, yup, three weeks in the trailer, about 200 yards from the waterfront. Keep us posted... have you started a pool for birthweight, birthdate / time, and sex (of the newborn, I mean!)?
Tom, thanks - I tried "Toilet Duck", but it's not aggressive enough - I'll look for Sno-Bowl.

Sully, glad to hear you're back at it. Somehow, we managed to survive all 3 weeks with no prop damage. My wife took a nasty tumble - foot came out of the rear toe plate on a cut and she did the splits real bad (damaged the hamstring) and will take several weeks to mend - hopefully in time for the Victoria Marathon in October.

Leroy, you're right - I still gotta work for a living and this board consumes a lot of time (albeit, for the most part, 'time well spent')...

Old 08-23-2004, 12:40 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Welcome back, Neil! Sounds like a great vacation. What you said about the Mapple is why I'm on a CDX. I've since been told that you can improve your experience on it by tweeking the fin quite a bit. Glad your son likes it though. "Twitchy" ... my thoughts exactly. Glad to have you back.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.