Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 07-27-2010, 01:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1985 19 Skier "Stars & Stripes" 351W, Velvet Drive 1:1
Slalom ski questions.

Hey all, getting better and better with slalom skiing, but still learning. Right now I'm using an older O'Brien that came with the boat, and it seems to do pretty good for now. I'm wanting "my own" ski maybe later this year and I'm wondering what would be a good ski that would be good for a beginner like myself, but also be kind of an "intermediate" ski that I could still be using as I got better. Something I won't outgrow in a single season.

Also, what are the thoughts on two bindings or a RTP. I'm REALLY getting to like this, and while I know I'll never be a world champion, it seems all the serious guys all use two bindings. Should I go that route?

What would be a reasonable budget to expect to spend on a decent ski with two bindings? I see "professional" skis in the multi-thousand range and bindings are hundreds of dollars each, but those are well above my level, both in skill and price. Can a decent ski and bindings be had for say, 5-600 bucks?

Also, I find it easier to start with the "drag a leg" one foot start, but obviously, if I go with two bindings, I'll have to start with both feet in. Should I just start practicing with both feet in all the time? I can do that start, but I find it easier to drag a leg on takeoff.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 07-27-2010, 02:01 PM
TT Regular

Boat: MasterCraft, Stars and Stripes, 1985, 351W, Powerslot
Practice with both feet in for a while before you pull the trigger on a new double boot set up. A trick is to pelvic thrust hard just before the ski pops up and you will pop on top of the water a lot easier.

I personally prefer the double boot over an RTP, much more stable and no chance of my back foot coming out which I had at one time had a problem with as I was becoming a stronger slalom skier. I use a Connelly Concept with double boots, its a great ski, fast across the wakes and stable, but I just wish it cornered faster. I'm fine as long as I time the bouys right, but if I get behind at all, its really tough to make up ground.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2012 MasterCraft Prostar 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeMineaS&S View Post
Hey all, getting better and better with slalom skiing, but still learning. Right now I'm using an older O'Brien that came with the boat, and it seems to do pretty good for now. I'm wanting "my own" ski maybe later this year and I'm wondering what would be a good ski that would be good for a beginner like myself, but also be kind of an "intermediate" ski that I could still be using as I got better. Something I won't outgrow in a single season.

Also, what are the thoughts on two bindings or a RTP. I'm REALLY getting to like this, and while I know I'll never be a world champion, it seems all the serious guys all use two bindings. Should I go that route?

What would be a reasonable budget to expect to spend on a decent ski with two bindings? I see "professional" skis in the multi-thousand range and bindings are hundreds of dollars each, but those are well above my level, both in skill and price. Can a decent ski and bindings be had for say, 5-600 bucks?

Also, I find it easier to start with the "drag a leg" one foot start, but obviously, if I go with two bindings, I'll have to start with both feet in. Should I just start practicing with both feet in all the time? I can do that start, but I find it easier to drag a leg on takeoff.

Thanks for the advice!
Are you doing only free skiing, or also shredding some buoys? If you feel more comfortable with dragging that foot, go with the RTP. Great skiers like Will Asher and Danyelle Bennett still ski with RTPs!
Old 07-27-2010, 04:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Free skiing for now, since I'm still learning, but I'm planning on joining the local ski club and start actually running the course.

Didn't know that top skiers were still using RTPs. Interesting. Read a number of posts here about how how two boots are "that much better" for skiing. However, there's the old saw, "Good enough for them..."

Won't be buying until the fall, most likely, so hopefully I'll be much better by then, and can be better able to exploit a better ski.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:24 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawagaskier View Post
I personally prefer the double boot over an RTP, much more stable and no chance of my back foot coming out which I had at one time had a problem with as I was becoming a stronger slalom skier. I use a Connelly Concept with double boots, its a great ski, fast across the wakes and stable, but I just wish it cornered faster. I'm fine as long as I time the bouys right, but if I get behind at all, its really tough to make up ground.
I'll check out that Connelly.

I'm no where close to "needing" a double boot, but I hear it does help stability. Just gotta log more water time, RTP or Boot. That's what it takes to get better.

Slightly off-topic:

I noticed your signature with the mods you had done to your S&S. I've got an '85 S&S, but with the 1:1 tranny.

I'd like some more "guts" from the thing, and your mods are exactly what I am planning for the off-season. I'm also going to re-prop with a new CNC OJ, maybe a 13x11.5.

What are your thoughts on the mods? I've heard the heads alone can unlock lots of power, up to the "HO-spec" 285 of early-90s carbed Prostars.

I don't have a Powerslot, (though I DO have a case of Powerslot-envy), so I'm trying to beef up the engine to get close to the Powerslot's stronger pull. Less throttle manipulation on takeoff and combined with the new prop, a steadier, stronger pull, and one that a strong skier can't "stop". (I read on this forum that back in the day, strong skiers like Bob LaPoint could nearly "stop" a 1:1 boat in its tracks, hence the development of the Powerslot.)

Again, I'm no where NEAR over-skiing the boat, but I'm a red-blooded American male, and "more power" is always a good thing!
Old 07-27-2010, 04:30 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
I'll check out that Connelly.

I'm no where close to "needing" a double boot, but I hear it does help stability. Just gotta log more water time, RTP or Boot. That's what it takes to get better.

Slightly off-topic:

I noticed your signature with the mods you had done to your S&S. I've got an '85 S&S, but with the 1:1 tranny.

I'd like some more "guts" from the thing, and your mods are exactly what I am planning for the off-season. I'm also going to re-prop with a new CNC OJ, maybe a 13x11.5.

What are your thoughts on the mods? I've heard the heads alone can unlock lots of power, up to the "HO-spec" 285 of early-90s carbed Prostars.

I don't have a Powerslot, (though I DO have a case of Powerslot-envy), so I'm trying to beef up the engine to get close to the Powerslot's stronger pull. Less throttle manipulation on takeoff and combined with the new prop, a steadier, stronger pull, and one that a strong skier can't "stop". (I read on this forum that back in the day, strong skiers like Bob LaPoint could nearly "stop" a 1:1 boat in its tracks, hence the development of the Powerslot.)

Again, I'm no where NEAR over-skiing the boat, but I'm a red-blooded American male, and "more power" is always a good thing!
My dad used to ski on a concept but switched the a Radar Senate. I would really suggest it
Old 07-27-2010, 04:50 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC/BROUSSARD/LA View Post
My dad used to ski on a concept but switched the a Radar Senate. I would really suggest it
I'm on the Radar website right now. Also looking at the Connelly website, HO, O'Brien and Goode. In information-gathering mode.

On the Radar line, I also like the look of the Theory model. A little wider and less aggressive than the Senate, and it looks pretty forgiving. Of course, the Senate looks awesome too.

Then the other makers...

They ALL look so good! LOL!
Old 07-27-2010, 04:58 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
I'm on the Radar website right now. Also looking at the Connelly website, HO, O'Brien and Goode. In information-gathering mode.

On the Radar line, I also like the look of the Theory model. A little wider and less aggressive than the Senate, and it looks pretty forgiving. Of course, the Senate looks awesome too.

Then the other makers...

They ALL look so good! LOL!
I agree! Maybe look at the HO CDX
Old 07-27-2010, 05:00 PM
TT Enthusiast

You in the course any? If so what percent?
Old 07-27-2010, 05:10 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC/BROUSSARD/LA View Post
You in the course any? If so what percent?
Never run the course yet. I am a definite n00b. Still working on wake crossings, and general "stability".

Hell, I could be riding a 1x6 board from Lowe's with duct-tape bindings and wouldn't be doing any worse than I am now, but you gotta start somewhere right?

The skis I'm using came with the boat, (an O'Brien slalom ski, a Phazer "EP" Combo set and a super-wide set of HO combos that can be connected for teaching kids or newbies) so they're older, the adjustable bindings are a little worn, and while they work fine, they just seem a little "tired". Fine for just playing around, and teaching friends how to ski, but later this year, I'll be better and I'd like a quality ski. And it'll be "mine" as it were. If the wife wants to slalom, she can use the "beater skis" we have or I'll get her her own ski, but this will be mine. Sized to my weight and the boots sized to my feet.

(I'd never even HEARD of "Phazer" skis, but here's a set exactly like mine on eBay. Not exactly state-of-the-art, but good for screwing around.)

http://cgi.ebay.com/PHAZER-COMBO-WAT...-/320566794890

Edited to add: Going from memory, I think the O'Brien is not a "slalom" ski per-se, but half of a "Celebrity" combo set. Got some Heinz-57 mutt action going on there.

Last edited by MakeMineaS&S; 07-27-2010 at 05:14 PM.