Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 07-06-2005, 12:53 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '94 Prostar 205
PS205 Vinyl Needs Help

I need some new vinyl skins for my '94 205. Just the observers seat and back seat need to be replaced. How hard is to do this? Anyone have an idea on how much $ to expect? Should I sub it out or do it myself? Any opinions? Also, where is the best place to get them?

BTW - Been a MC owner for long time but just found TT ... this place is great. MC needs to market this better.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:55 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 PS205/1999 Manitou 24' party barge
Order the skins from your MC dealer and have a local shop do the install.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:12 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Assuming you're just talking about the seat bases/bottoms, MC should be your best bet as they are still offering white skins for that year (possibly the accent colors, but that's not what they said in January). The observer seat base will run about $100. The rear seat base will run over $300, which is why I leave mine at the house because nobody ever sits back there and it just becomes an expensive step to get to the platform).

If you have a staple gun with stainless staples, both of these are skins you could easily install yourself and couldn't tell the difference over a professional install.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:30 PM
MC Devotee

Thanks guys ... just ordered from my dealer. $200 for the observer and $230 for the rear bench. Will be delivered in 4-6 weeks and then the fun starts.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:43 PM
MC Hero

Was that $200 for the base only? Should've mentioned that this is one of those items that should be shopped around. Prices on skins, in my experience, vary from dealer to dealer. Still, looks like you did a little better than my guess on the rear seat though.

This price list is a few years old and may be 190 specific.

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/sh...ighlight=skins

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.

Last edited by east tx skier; 07-06-2005 at 05:53 PM.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:27 PM
MC Devotee

yea ... $200 for the base only. He is throwing in new foam. Probably not a great deal but hey cheaper than a new 197. I can not stand to have the cushion seams tearing out.

Anything special about the staples other than they are stainless?
Old 07-06-2005, 06:31 PM
MC Hero

I just used stainless arrow staples in my staplegun and have had no problems. Just start from the middle of a side, stretch it good, and get after it.

Use a flat head screwdriver to remove the old staples. There are a ton of them!

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Old 07-07-2005, 09:30 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1993 190 with LT1
What dealer did you use ? And, what did they say about availability...only white or are other base colors available ? etc

Thanks and good luck with the boat. Be sure to post plenty of before and after pics !
Old 07-07-2005, 11:19 AM
MC Devotee

Availability is 4-6 weeks and said they can get all the original '94 colors. Mine was platinum. I was told by one of the sales guys that they now have a 1990 cutoff for skins. Do not know if that is true as a guy I was talking to yesterday got all new skins from MC for his '88 190.

Made me think to order an entire set instead of just the 2 pieces. hmmmmmm
Old 07-07-2005, 11:45 AM
MC Hero

It's gotta be a scam to sell more skins.

I didn't buy a full set, but pretty close to it. Figure better to have them when I ultimately need them.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club