Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 07-06-2005, 11:18 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: What ever floats your.....
Trailer Brakes

I can say I have never owned a trailer with hydraulic disc brakes before this one. I have trailers with electric brakes so I am confused. Is it somewhat normal to get a slight squeak out of them as you are going down the road? I can not seem to get it to go away. It is not from sitting, because it doesn't sit much. The brakes work fone and don't seem to stick, they roll freely. Is there some sort of maintenance I need to do becuase there may be corrosion or the like. Please advise.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:42 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Probably just a pebble or some other crap wedged in the brakepads. If they work fine, I wouldn't sweat it. Worst case, take the brake pads off and clean up the pads/rotors w/ some brake cleaner.
Other possibility is the pads are wore down to the indicators (squeal when brakes applied). Not too likely w/ a newer trailer unless you have a ton of miles on it.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:56 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall
Probably just a pebble or some other crap wedged in the brakepads. If they work fine, I wouldn't sweat it. Worst case, take the brake pads off and clean up the pads/rotors w/ some brake cleaner.
Other possibility is the pads are wore down to the indicators (squeal when brakes applied). Not too likely w/ a newer trailer unless you have a ton of miles on it.
4000miles if I had to guess. But they only squeek when traveling with no brakes applied. Just very annoying.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:52 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MasterCraft Prostar 205V "wakeboard edition", 2004
Forgive the partial thread hijack, but I'm looking into my brakes b/c I thought they might be hanging up (delayed release). It doesn't appear the caliper pistion is releasing smoothly. I greased the guide pins, but is there a way to lubricate the caliper piston too?
Old 07-20-2005, 02:20 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: maibu sportster
Workin, are you sure its the breaks squeaking and not the tongue and actuator? My trailer will squeak from the actuator area on some roads. Lube the pins and all moving parts on the hitch area.

P-Hat: do a web search for the company that made you trailer actuator. Manual should tell you. You can get detailed drawings andservice info from them. You may need a rebuild kit for you master cylinder.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:26 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedog
Workin, are you sure its the breaks squeaking and not the tongue and actuator? My trailer will squeak from the actuator area on some roads. Lube the pins and all moving parts on the hitch area.

P-Hat: do a web search for the company that made you trailer actuator. Manual should tell you. You can get detailed drawings andservice info from them. You may need a rebuild kit for you master cylinder.
It is fine now. All I did was jam on the brakes a few times and it stopped. I guess I was nervous after reading the brake issues before, that I had an issue with brakes sticking. No more noise now. Thanks.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:05 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MasterCraft Prostar 205V "wakeboard edition", 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedog
I think it's something to do with the caliper and not the actuator. I just took off the starboard side tire and it spin free as can be. The port side tire is the one sticking and showng unusual amount of brake dust.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:22 AM
MC Master Poster

In a few weeks I am going to go through the entire system, and clean and check everything. I am new to the hydraulic trailer brake systems. Not sure so far how much I like them as opposed to the electric with the adjustable brake controllers.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:09 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-hat_in_Cincy
I think it's something to do with the caliper and not the actuator. I just took off the starboard side tire and it spin free as can be. The port side tire is the one sticking and showng unusual amount of brake dust.
What did you do to fix this?
Old 08-01-2005, 08:27 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin' 4 Toys
In a few weeks I am going to go through the entire system, and clean and check everything. I am new to the hydraulic trailer brake systems. Not sure so far how much I like them as opposed to the electric with the adjustable brake controllers.
I HATE surge brakes. I'd much rather have electric brakes. On my vehicle an electric brake controller is completely plug-and-play and I've got a Tekonsha Prodigy computerized controller already installed for the horse trailer. Only problem I can see is that electric brakes require a back-up battery on the trailer that activates the brakes if the trailer becomes disconnected, so I'd have to find someplace to place that battery on the boat trailer. The cable actuator for the surge brakes is simpler.

One other problem with electric brakes is that the settings on the controller would be a lot different on a boat trailer loaded compared to unloaded. Some less sophisticated controllers than the Tekonsha can be touchy to adjust.