Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 08-10-2010, 10:23 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '00 MariStar 230VRS
1986 Tristar Project Boat????

Long story and I know: UWOP.

Buddy is working in Hawaii and it'll be a couple months before he's back stateside. Last night he asked me if I want (or know of anybody) wanting a MC project boat. Apparently he has an '86 22-foot Tristar with the 351 Windsor.

The original owner hit a sand bar with it in the river and bent the shaft and damaged the prop and then never did anything with it other than let it sit for 14-years before selling it to my friend. According to my buddy it needs a new interior, shaft, prop fixed, and some trailer work. It's in his dad's tractor yard somewhere in the San Diego area and his dad is gonna see about getting me some photos.

I'm up to my eyeballs in 4x4 projects and don't really want a boat. If it's a relatively easy fix I may grab it. If not, maybe somebody here will want it. I'll post up some pics when I get 'em, but for my question:

I realize interior, trailer, and prop are easy, but what about the rest of the boat? Shaft, strut, rudder parts still available? Dealer-only, luck into 'em used, or other source?
Old 08-11-2010, 10:23 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 X2
All of the running gear stuff is available. I bent and replaced the strut on my 91 TriStar last year before I sold it. It was $150 or so. Keep your eye on Ebay or buy new from several of the MC dealers or marine suppliers that get mentioned regularly on this board.

As for the interior, original skins are no longer available but any good upholstery shop can do up something close to OEM or custom but be prepared to pay around $1500 - $2000, depending on whether or not you pull and reinstall the skins yourself.

If you're needing actually interior parts -- dash, seat bases, compartments, windshield, etc. those are really hard to come by. To my knowledge, no one makes these. They either need to be fabricated from scratch or scrounged from a wrecked donor boat.

Best of luck.