Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-04-2010, 02:31 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1983 Skier 190 Stars and Stripes
Question Looking for some guidlines/things to look for (searching for boat to purchase)

New to the site, have looked around a bit seems like a great place with tons of info. Grew up on a slalom ski and have been behind a mastercraft most of my life with family but I finally can afford my own and have a place to use it so I am in the market.

Not a huge budget by any means but I am interested in a boat that runs, floats and can get my little guys out of the water for now. 1980-1985 190 stars and stripes is what I have found in my price range but wanted to see what you guys would recommend looking for as red flags or problems that are common. I am a certified Ford nut so the 351 is no problem for me to look at, but other things like the hull, running gear, trans ect are what I need some help with.

Going to look at an 83 Cream and Red stars and stripes 190 with a huge maintenance book filled and local history. Boat is on the water so I can drive it and still being used.

Any help you guys could offer would be huge and thank you in advanced.

JTR
Old 08-04-2010, 02:34 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1979 stars and stripes
Rotten stringers !!!! everything else is just superficial really
Old 08-04-2010, 02:48 PM
TT Regular

Boat: MasterCraft Skier
If it is an 83 the stringers might be fiberglass. When I was looking, I looked at an 1980 and the 1984 that I ended up buying. The sole reason I bought the 1984 was because of the fiberglass stringers. I actually liked the rounded windshield and the bubble style dash better but I didnt want to deal with wood stringers. Just my $.02
Old 08-04-2010, 02:49 PM
TT Regular

Boat: MasterCraft Skier
I think some 83's had fiberglass stringers. Check that out. They switched mid year I think
Old 08-04-2010, 02:50 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
JTR, this is something a group of us worked up a few years ago. I found it helpful when inspecting a used boat.

Used Ski Boat Checklist

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:43 PM
MC Devotee

Guys great stuff and thank you!

I am assuming stringers are viewed under the floor in the hull? Correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you.

JTR
Old 08-04-2010, 03:51 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
Things specific to 83's with fiberglass stringers as well as 84, 85 and I think 86's to check on.

Floors can become delaminated from fiberglass stringers: Feel floor between engine and sides of the boat.

Foam below floor becoming saturated with water: Check how it floats at rest. Platform should be about a inch or 2 out of water when boat is empty.

Swim Platform Mounting: Check for tightness.

And on the wooden stringer boats check floor, motor mount bolts, platform mounts, etc, etc.

No way to really view the stringers in a wooden boat, just look for taletell signs there may be a problem.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:08 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 Prostar 214, MCX, Mini-Tower
Hey man .... good luck ... I am not sure what your budget is but there are some really good purchases out there in the 91-93 Prostar 190 range .... just letting you know to maybe extend your reach a little bit ... that is a great start boat with an awesome ski wake and versatility .... just my $0.02 .... I miss mine and I have a 2008 now ...... best of luck to you.

"Left Foot Forward and preferring girls."
Old 08-08-2010, 05:04 AM
MC Devotee

Thanks again for the help guys.

Took her for a spin today and so far everything checks out. Hours are up there but its been on one lake its entire life and all it has done is what these boats were made for pulling people. Lake is very small, just a ski lake, boat was surprisingly better then I thought. Interior and carpet are the number one things it needs but other then that it was pretty solid. They just bought a newer MC with an open bow and I saw it there, very nice boat and only reason for selling.

Here are a few notes that I wanted to check on....

Platform is 2" out of the water when no ones in the boat, good right?

Water temp was a consistent 140 idling or cruising.

Oil was 25-30 idle and 60 cruising, didnt see it at WOT.

Boat tracked to the right if you were going faster then 20 and let off the wheel, otherwise steering was fine.

PCM 351 seemed really strong, newer marine carb, timing chain, top part of the marine manifolds replaced, all the obvious plugs/cap/wires ect were fresh and all paperwork to go with it.

Small amount of water in the engine area after cruising, normal?

Sorry for all the questions but I think I found a solid boat just wanna make sure.

JTR
Old 08-08-2010, 09:44 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 02 Mastercraft X5 with 350 indmar
Send a message via Skype™ to Mr02X5
always check for small stress cracks and chips on the bottom -especially since the boat is on the water all the time, assuming it is at a dock.-