Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 08-07-2010, 06:27 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1995 Maristar LT1 closed cooling
Replace exhaust hose after overheating?

I won't repeat my whole experience here - see "consequences of overheating" thread. But my boat overheated when the mechanic forgot to connect a cooling hose and I launched the boat without knowing it and the boat almost sank, plus overheated (260 on the temp guage). It's closed cooling but requires the raw water through the heat exchanger.

After getting it back from them, I still had a major leak somewhere and isolated a pretty good leak at the connection between the exhaust hose and muffler. Given my experience with the mechanic that screwed it up to begin with (TNT Motorsports, Hendersonville, TN) I took it to the mastercraft dealer. Even though I knew I would have to pay extra to fix their mistake, I didn't want that guy touching my boat again.

The mastercraft guys replaced the hose per my request, but found the main culprit was the transmission cooler had cracked (had to be from the overheating because the leak started only after). They replaced that as well. Another $700.00 later, I get the boat in the water and everything is working well and we tube for a couple of hours.

Then this afternoon, I go out and when I give it throttle, I can hear the exhaust running straight - obviously disconnected from the muffler. The boat sputters and the bilge fills with water. Fortunately, I am very close to my dock and able to get it on the lift before it sinks.

Turns out the exhaust hose has become disconnected from the muffler on the side not replaced, so the raw water is running directly into my bilge. I am guessing that the boat was sputtering because the exhaust was going into the engine compartment creating back pressure and preventing good air to get to the engine.

The question is this: Should I just replace the hose with new hose - assuming it was somehow misformed due to the overheating, or can I trust it to put it back on and crank it down? There are no obvious signs that it is compromised. Its about $150.00 for the hose and thankfully I can reach it on this side, I suppose I could order it for less and have it delivered.

Does overheating damage the exhaust hose?

Thanks

Last edited by Shredman; 08-07-2010 at 06:30 PM.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:56 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredman View Post
I won't repeat my whole experience here - see "consequences of overheating" thread. But my boat overheated when the mechanic forgot to connect a cooling hose and I launched the boat without knowing it and the boat almost sank, plus overheated (260 on the temp guage). It's closed cooling but requires the raw water through the heat exchanger.

After getting it back from them, I still had a major leak somewhere and isolated a pretty good leak at the connection between the exhaust hose and muffler. Given my experience with the mechanic that screwed it up to begin with (TNT Motorsports, Hendersonville, TN) I took it to the mastercraft dealer. Even though I knew I would have to pay extra to fix their mistake, I didn't want that guy touching my boat again.

The mastercraft guys replaced the hose per my request, but found the main culprit was the transmission cooler had cracked (had to be from the overheating because the leak started only after). They replaced that as well. Another $700.00 later, I get the boat in the water and everything is working well and we tube for a couple of hours.

Then this afternoon, I go out and when I give it throttle, I can hear the exhaust running straight - obviously disconnected from the muffler. The boat sputters and the bilge fills with water. Fortunately, I am very close to my dock and able to get it on the lift before it sinks.

Turns out the exhaust hose has become disconnected from the muffler on the side not replaced, so the raw water is running directly into my bilge. I am guessing that the boat was sputtering because the exhaust was going into the engine compartment creating back pressure and preventing good air to get to the engine.

The question is this: Should I just replace the hose with new hose - assuming it was somehow misformed due to the overheating, or can I trust it to put it back on and crank it down? There are no obvious signs that it is compromised. Its about $150.00 for the hose and thankfully I can reach it on this side, I suppose I could order it for less and have it delivered.

Does overheating damage the exhaust hose?

Thanks
The exhaust hose(s) are tough. Heat and hot water going through them anytime the boat is running (except when they come lose ). Get a good worm gear hose clamp and use the current hose (unless it shows evident deterioration). I'd run with the same hose with no second thoughts.

I would be inclined to insist that the place in Hendersonville be responsible for their mistake (although denial is 9/10s of anyone's defense without pictures or witnesses).

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Last edited by Cloaked; 08-07-2010 at 07:06 PM.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:08 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloaked View Post
The exhaust hose(s) are tough. Heat and hot water going through them anytime the boat is running (except when they come lose ). Get a good worm gear hose clamp and use the current hose (unless it shows evident deterioration). I'd run with the same hose with no second thoughts.

I would be inclined to insist that the place in Hendersonville be responsible for their mistake (although denial is 9/10s of anyone's defense without pictures or witnesses).
Ditto on the hose, should be nothing wrong with ot. You are victim of some very shoddy work and I would be concerned about the engine long term from the over heating, depending on how hot it got of course.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:19 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloaked View Post

Not worth the drama. The mechanic wouldn't even look up from his work and acknowledge me after almost sinking my boat. A**h*le. Then implied that I was trying to pull something over on him by asking if something he did could have contributed to almost sinking my boat. At this point, I wouldn't let him work on my bicycle. Everyone makes mistakes, but no patience for those who view customers as "pesky" and who can not admit the possibility of a mistake. I'm moving on.

Thanks for the input. I'll try the existing hose.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:30 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
Ditto on the hose, should be nothing wrong with ot. You are victim of some very shoddy work and I would be concerned about the engine long term from the over heating, depending on how hot it got of course.
I think that I am lucky that I have closed cooling. Even though the raw water side was rendered ineffective due to the disconnected hose, there was coolant cirulating in the engine itself. No surprise that the damage is outside of the engine - exhaust and transmission cooler.

The Mastercraft shop did a pressure test on the closed coolant system, which I think would have picked up any problems with the engine/heads, etc. The transmission cooler was obvioulsy toast due to the overheating, but fingers crossed that no long term damage to the engine. TNT wouldn't stand behind it anyway, so it's my deal no matter what.

I was happy with the Mastercraft guys. They were very helpful and didn't have the "too cool" arrogance of the TNT guys. They actually took the boat to the lake with me to check out their work. The TNT guys just threw it together to get it out of their shop and didn't take the time to test it, or they would have noticed the massive leak from the transmission cooler that cracked from the overheating despite the fact that they almost sunk my boat with me in it. You'd think they would take extra care after that, but not the case at all.

I've been without my boat for most of the summer. Lesson learned.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:55 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar, 1992, 351 Ford
Double stainless steel worm clamp all exhaust hoses.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:46 PM
TT Regular

Hooked it back up and was working fine. Fingers crossed.