Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 08-06-2010, 09:50 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2006 280STS
Tow Vehicle Cruise Control Usage

We will soon tow round trip from Tulsa, Ok. to Page, Az. Boat/trailer weight near 10% tow vehicle maximum. Obviously lots of hills and a continental divide to be crossed on I-40. As a general rule, I do not use cruise control because it forces the transmission to shift gears frequently. Looking for your opinions which are much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:05 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Moomba Mobius LSV 2006
I only use cruise when towing on flat otherwise the trany down**** and the engine start reving like there's no tomorow... being gentle on transmission is always a good idea
Old 08-06-2010, 10:08 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 Prostar 197 TT #11
Same here. I'll tow with the cruise until I get alot of shifting, then turn it off.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:13 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006,197 Tournement Team LQ9
Location: Maryville TN. 20min from the center of our Universe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by willski View Post
Same here. I'll tow with the cruise until I get alot of shifting, then turn it off.
Ditto, Also not hard to Double the size of your trans cooler with aftermarket parts.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:16 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
It depend on your vehicle but I basically just listen to what the truck is doing. I use cruise all the time unless I'm going up a large grade. My truck want to downshift too far so I just back off on the speed as it climbs. I will just manually shift it down if needed.

While on cruise, if the tranny is shifting back and forth too much, I'll just drop it down a grear. I have the 8.1L engine in our suburban and it doesn't really have any problems. While towing I also use my "tow/haul" button. This will allow the tranny to shift a little more firm (to create less heat) and also does a decent job "braking" a little while going down long grades....keeps me off the brakes.

1994 205, LT1
Old 08-06-2010, 10:39 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
If your trans is wanting to downshift out of OD, its because you are in a situation where you shouldn't be in OD. Your engine isn't turning enough RPMs to stay in the power band and you are probably using more gas, and certainly being harder on the transmission than you want to. Turning the cruise control off only makes the problem less noticeable.

So many people don't remember the days before OD and hearing the engine work a little more. Granted OD is a great thing - it just can't, or shouldn't, be used all the time.

SPECIAL PRICE
ST205/75R15 KENDA LOADSTAR ON 15X5 WHITE SPOKE WHEEL, BALANCED & DELIVERED - $125 EACH

Tandem Axle Packages Starting at $569 - 4 Aluminum wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.
Single Axle Package Starting at $319 - 2 Aluminum wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***
Old 08-06-2010, 12:28 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2004 X-Star
Ditto. Drive slower and do not use OD is my recommendation. If your rig has a trailering/tow mode, then that takes care of it. I always trailer in tow mode (now anyway). Depending on make, you might get the added benefit of engine braking when needed. As a cautionary tale, I destroyed a trans towing a light dune buggy on a light trailer in OD (V-8 Jeep Grand Cherokee...POS).
Old 08-06-2010, 12:33 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
I use OD when I am on flat ground, just shift out of it when I am in hilly areas.

I tend to drive slower - I try to stay under 70MPH.

SPECIAL PRICE
ST205/75R15 KENDA LOADSTAR ON 15X5 WHITE SPOKE WHEEL, BALANCED & DELIVERED - $125 EACH

Tandem Axle Packages Starting at $569 - 4 Aluminum wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.
Single Axle Package Starting at $319 - 2 Aluminum wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***
Old 08-06-2010, 01:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 89 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If your trans is wanting to downshift out of OD, its because you are in a situation where you shouldn't be in OD. Your engine isn't turning enough RPMs to stay in the power band and you are probably using more gas, and certainly being harder on the transmission than you want to. Turning the cruise control off only makes the problem less noticeable.

So many people don't remember the days before OD and hearing the engine work a little more. Granted OD is a great thing - it just can't, or shouldn't, be used all the time.
Could you go into more detail on this? I was under the assumption if you are towing a decent load that you should have OD on? If I am understanding this correctly you should not use OD in hilly areas because of the constant shifting. I only towed my boat over 50 miles one time and that was the case, constantly shifting up and down some smaller hills. Any input is appreciated.

As far as that tranny cooler upgrade, how much could you expect to pay, and I imagine it would benefit for plowing in the winter as well???

Thanks guys... sorry for the threadjack
Old 08-06-2010, 01:25 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2004 X-Star
Probably the best advice on towing will be found on a rig-specific forum. For example, those that tow with a D-Max dually will often suggest always trailer in tow mode if so equiped (engine braking benefits, out of OD, etc.). The Power Smoke folks (I'm a former) will often suggest taking it out of OD whenever the trans is searching for gears (hills, flat or whatever (which is pretty good advice)). A VW forum would ask why are you towing a boat with a VW?