Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 10-02-2010, 10:11 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1987 Mastercraft ProStar 190
Luv2Ski, great job!! Looks great.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:39 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: supra comp
boat looks sick I got to see it not long after you dropped it off to viper and a little before you picked it up. The interior is sick love the carbon fiber black vinyl my 88 was in the shop same time as yours you may have seen it. I stole a few ideas from your interior hope you dont mind. Once again boat looks awesome and mine is turning out great as well highly reccomend Viper Customs by the way will you come do my wetsanding ha ha? your exterior looks great
Old 10-13-2010, 01:02 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1988, ProStar 190, 351w
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonba1 View Post
boat looks sick I got to see it not long after you dropped it off to viper and a little before you picked it up. The interior is sick love the carbon fiber black vinyl my 88 was in the shop same time as yours you may have seen it. I stole a few ideas from your interior hope you dont mind. Once again boat looks awesome and mine is turning out great as well highly reccomend Viper Customs by the way will you come do my wetsanding ha ha? your exterior looks great
That is all good, I stole a few ideas from a prostar that was there just before mine, I think that is pretty much the way it works!

Going to be a while before I feel like taking on another large gelcoat job.... patience patience.

Looking forward to seeing how yours turns out.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:27 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1983 Skier 190 Stars and Stripes
That is one perfect recovery and restoration. Kudos to you man.

JTR
"The misery that is now upon us is but the passing of GREED-the bitterness of men who fear the way of human progress. The hate of all men will pass, and dictators die and the power they took from the people will return to the people and so long as men die Liberty will never perish."
-Charles Chaplin-
Old 10-26-2010, 10:24 PM
asr84

Excellent restoration job!

It looks from your first pics that there may have been some chips out of the gelcoat on the rear corner. How did you repair these?

I have an 87 that I am thinking about wetsanding and buffing. Gelcoat is oxidized, although not too bad for the age. Any tips other than those mentioned in the posts above?
Old 10-27-2010, 10:31 AM
TT Regular

Thanks!

Here is a link describing the general method I use don the chips

The paste is easy to use and does not require any specialized equipment, so it makes sense to use on smaller chips and scratches. It is really just a matter of cleaning, applying, sanding, buffing. Take your time and you will be happy with the results.

If you search there is a plethora of posts on removing gelcoat oxidation. This post of mine will provide some of the details on what I did.

Once you get started, feel free to create a post to ask specific questions. There are so many threads on gelcoat at this point you probably don't want to create another general "how to" thread as you may not get all that many responses.

Best of luck! Enjoy the process, it will take some time, but look at the bright side - you have all winter
Old 10-27-2010, 12:00 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 Master Craft X2 MCX
I have a chip in the white part of my boat (just under the rub rail). Is this all I need to buy: http://www.discountmarinesupplies.co...&product=83320

Do I need to worry about matching the color? A pic of my boat is attached.
Attached Images

Old 10-27-2010, 12:22 PM
TT Regular

Nice ride,

It does look like you have a pure white there so if you pick the white paste there is a good chance you will be good to go without needing any tinting agents. I would probably give that a shot before buying any of the tinting agents, it will be a little tricky to figure out what colors you would need until you can compare the shade of the gelcoat to the shade of the boat.

You can probably get away without using the mold release as well. I found it unnecessary.

<EDIT>

HOLD THE PRESS! I just realized the link was to gelcoat and not gelcoat paste. I updated the link in that old post. Be sure you use the paste or you will need an entirely different set of techniques than I have described. The past is at this link

I think it only comes in a neutral color, which is essentially clear. So you will need the white tinting agent, probably nothing else!

</EDIT>

Last edited by Luv2Ski; 10-27-2010 at 12:29 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X2
Your boat looks great. Love the graphics and interior!
Old 11-03-2010, 05:08 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Prostar 190
AWESOME job man. You've done an excellent job. I have the exact same pro star, colour and everything. Did you re-gel cote the hull or just lots of polish? What sort of polish did you use? Mine is a little faded and want to get it looking trick again!

Tags
prostar 190, restoration, vinyl