Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 11-18-2017, 10:28 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft, X Star, 2001, Indmar
Please help! When boat is hot it will crank but no fire

Any help is appreciated! Boat starts fine when cold, no issues. Once the boat has warmed up if we turn it off, it then won't start again. We have read through multiple forums and are having no luck! We've check to see if there is water in the fuel tank, looked for the crank sensor - cannot seem to locate this, do these exist??
To be able to start the boat again we have to disengage the fuel pump and crank it over and expel all the excess fuel till it fires up again. Fuel filter has also been checked and is fine.
Does anyone have any ideas as to what would be causing this?
We also have issuers driving along around 3 grand and suddenly the motor will loose power, once we stop it clears and is fine again.
Thanks!

Last edited by Sammy; 11-18-2017 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 11-18-2017, 11:09 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
Fuel pump!!!

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2018

Details released 12/17!!!!

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
1985 S&S
Old 11-18-2017, 11:36 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2008 X2, MCX
Could be fuel pump, also Take a look at this thread

https://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk...ad.php?t=60932
Old 11-19-2017, 03:07 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1983 Starts & Stripes Powerslot, 92 Hydrodyne Comp
If your boat is EFI it's harder to determine if it's fuel delivery. If carb'd, when it won't start hot try starting fluid in the carb and see if it lights. If it does then you know it's fuel delivery. The other very real possibility is your ignition module. These can age over time and sometimes not work right when hot. You also noted "losing power". This brings up another possibility of an EI conversion module as old ones have been known to malfunction after many years and result in sudden loss of power. After cool down will fire again and seem fine for a while etc. If I missed the spec's on what boat and engine you have my apologies but that would be a help. I'm sure others will also chime in that it could be your coil as they do go bad. See how hot it feels after normal use, or if it's leaking .

I'm running down a similar issue on my 92 Hydrodyne Comp. Always stars cold just fine with a couple of pumps. But turn it off between skiers and it won't start when hot. Wait 10 minutes, open the cover, crank it over a bunch and give it lots of fuel and it will catch, and run fine again. Really annoying. I did the starting fluid test and it did not light which made me look at spark, The original ignition module in the distributor was was old and looked BAD so I replaced. It's better but still only 50 / 50 hot. I just rebuilt the carb (quadrajet) and am back to thinking it may in fact BE fuel after all, as if it's flooding, the starting fluid wouldn't override that . Boat runs great once running. 100% Quadrajet folks are having me adjust my float a bit. Hoping that's the other 50%.

Point out your boat & engine specs

MDB........................
Old 11-19-2017, 09:22 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
Sounds like a bad engine temp sensor. Causes computer to deliver too much fuel bc it “thinks” engine is cold when it’s not.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:36 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
a test is to see if you put it in neutral and try and start it with the throttle 1/2 or full if it starts then it most likely is the temp sensor...

if not then it is most likely fuel delivery.. check the connections and then go get a fuel pressure gauge to see what the pressure is...
Old 11-20-2017, 03:39 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 X-Series MCX
Could also be a coil. When they get old, sometimes heat will effect them.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:32 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
a test is to see if you put it in neutral and try and start it with the throttle 1/2 or full if it starts then it most likely is the temp sensor...

if not then it is most likely fuel delivery.. check the connections and then go get a fuel pressure gauge to see what the pressure is...
I have a buddy having this issue in his ‘06 X30 w/MCX. Sometimes it won’t start when the engine is warm - pop it in neutral, give it throttle and it fires right up. From what I’m reading here .... sounds like temp sensor? Where is the sensor on an MCX? Wouldn’t a bad sensor also cause the temp gauge to show incorrect temp? Or are there separate temp sensors for the gauge and the computer?
Old 11-21-2017, 01:51 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 X30
Found the sensor - on top of the block, just below the t-stat housing? Is this the only one on the MCX? $83.45 on MC Parts Depot, $14.90 on Discount Inboard. Can it really be this easy? Again, if this sensor is bad, causing the warm starting issue, wouldn’t the gauge be reading low as well?
Old 11-21-2017, 08:39 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1998 Mastercraft SportStar, 5.0 TBI
Temp sender fixed mine as well, start there.