Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-02-2010, 07:50 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Another Bad Fuel Pump?

Well I didn't think I was going to run into this problem as I keep my tank at least 1/2 full most of the time but I think I may have run into the all too common bad fuel pump. While on vacation I let the tank get to a 1/4. A week later it looks like I have a failed pump.

I was idling around the lake taking some family members for a ride after doing some surfing. Out of know where the motor stumbled briefly and then just quit. I checked the lanyard with a meter and it's good. All the gauges work and the engine turns over well but just won't start. When I turn the key to the on position I can hear the fuel pump groan a bit then it stops. If I do this several times then try starting it, it will almost start. I'm thinking fuel pump. Anyone think it could be something else?

Right now my plan is to get a new fuel pump from the MC dealer then rebuild the old one as a spare. I'm really glad this happened on our small lake instead of Lake Erie three weeks ago while on vacation. I really like this boat but I'm starting to have doubts about how reliable it is. I know this has all been said before but I'm not too thrilled about having a boat with such a poorly designed fuel system. You don't see the BUs, CCs or even Moomba's having these issues. After all the posts about problems with fuel pumps I'm really surprised that MC has stayed with this design.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:15 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: none
I agree.

If you have a 30 gallon tank but it starves the engine at 1/4 or less, thats no longer a 30 gallon tank, its a 22 gallon tank.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:46 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Prostar 190 1994
Why not go right now with the aftermarket pump like NAPA and such?
Old 08-02-2010, 09:12 AM
MC Devotee

Was going to buy a new one and fix the old one for a spare. Just got off the phone with the MC dealer and looks like the only option is going to be to buy the after market pump as he doesn't have one in stock.

Anyone know if the filter is available from the auto parts store? if so what's the part number? Might has well change it while I'm in there.

Does anyone have a preference on pumps?
Old 08-03-2010, 06:40 AM
MC Devotee

Well since the MC dealer didn't have the pump in stock and recommended replacing just the motor (as did everyone on the site) I went ahead and picked up an Airtech fuel pump from O'Riely's yesterday morning. I used Boofer's guide and got the pump out and replaced last night after work. Ran out of sun light before I could get it installed back in the boat. I plan to install and test the pump in about 1/2 hour when the sun cones up enough to see. A month ago I'd already been able to be out there. The summer's really going by quick this year.

I already had all the tools needed for the replacement so it only took about 20 minutes to get the pump out of the boat. It was a real mess with the gas as my tank was still full. If I were doing this again I'd have a nice sized bucket sitting next to the tank for when you pull the unit out. The actual pump replacement is quite simple, Remove the filter, remove 7 screws, two wires and the hose clamp and you're ready to reassemble. Taking my time I had everything apart and back together in forty minutes. I'm sure I could do it now in twenty minutes. Just hoping now that when I get it back in she fires up quickly.

Last edited by bturner2; 08-03-2010 at 06:43 AM.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:33 AM
MC Devotee

Done! Just went out and installed the rebuilt pump back in the tank. Primed the line once and turned the key. Started right up and idled real smooth. Saved about $400 going this route. I'll be stopping back at the auto parts store later this week to get another pump to have in the boat as a spare.

My thanks to everyone who's put time in on these fuel pump threads.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:19 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Prostar 190 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
Saved about $400 going this route.
Good job!Buy yourself something nice to drink and enjoy!
Old 08-03-2010, 09:33 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MasterCraft ProStar 209X9 & ProStar 190 LT1-Powerslot
Hi Guys -
Sorry to hear about your fuel pump problems. I had so many problems with in the tank fuel pumps on my GM truck and suburban I became a certified fuel pump mechanic. It is the worst kind of problem in my opinion and I am sad to learn my new (used) boat will most likely give me the same headaches I had with my vehicles. Being stranded on a roadway might be better than being stranded on a lake.

OK, so I want to be prepared. I read a bunch of stuff on the site including fuel pump 101. Can someone tell me what aftermarket pump and what length (8" or 12") of the intenal flexible hose is needed for the 2002 Pro Star 209 with 5.7L 310hp? Also, my fuel lines are crimped/banded on with a non-reusable clamp. Does the auto parts store sell a clamp remover, clamps, and tool?
Old 08-03-2010, 10:21 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X-2 MCX
bturner2, you said airtech, did you mean airtex? was it the 2044?

2003 X-2 MCX
Old 08-03-2010, 12:45 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2004 X-Star
Got my back up pump through Amazon. For some reason it was listed for 38 clams, so I jumped. I see its now listed for $70