Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 07-27-2010, 08:02 PM
godawgs

1989 Tristar gas tank/sending unit

New to the site. My gas gauge isn't working and I pulled the plate that lets me see a portion of the tank under the observer bench seat. The inspection hole is 6 or 8 inches in diameter and centers over the fuel to engine outlet. The sending unit sits about half under the inspection hole so that I can not pull it straight up out of the inspection hole. Is the sending unit a rigid device or can I take the bolts out of the top of the unit and bend it over to pull out of the inspection hole? Moving the tank may be an option but I see no way to move it over even a little bit. I do not see any way to take up the floor to access the whole tank. Thanks for any pointers.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:40 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 89 Tri Star
I have an 88 Tristar, it has a bucket passenger seat, slightly different. I pulled my sender out last year, on mine there is a "manual guage" that has wires which send it to the dash. I undid he bracket around the unit and then pulled everything out. You'll probably have to slide and twist the unit to remove but it's skinny at top so it has some slack.

I spihoned all the gas out the fuel inlet, if I did/do it again, I'd try to pull the fuel line at the Water/Fuel Seperator and drain from there. Probably could hook up something throught the bildge.

Good luck.

If you go on Ski DIM.com they have a picture of the sender.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:47 PM
Smithsw7

Sender Length

Do you remember what length of sending unit you put on your tristar. I have an 1989 tristar 190 with a 25 gallon tank, and I'm not sure how long of a sender I need.