Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-27-2010, 04:00 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft X2 2003
$700 to replace fuel pump??

Local MC dealer wants $700 to replace the fuel pump on my 2004 X2. Seems high for something that's easily accessible. Anybody had this done before on a similar boat?

Thanks.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:05 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
There's a bunch of threads on fuel pumps in the Maint section, do a search.
Bottom line, $80-$100 get's you a new pump from the auto parts store, you have to pull the module and change out the pump. $4-500 gets you a new module from MC, you change. $7-800 gets you a new module installed by the dealer.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 07-27-2010, 04:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 Prostar 209 - MCX 350 5.7L V-8
Mine went out 2 years ago, and it was $500, but was covered under warranty. My brother had an X-STAR that was 1 year out of warranty, and he asked the dealer to contact the factory and they picked up the tab. I would definitely ask your dealer about it considering the amount of problems they have had with fuel pump failures.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:06 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgravlin View Post
Local MC dealer wants $700 to replace the fuel pump on my 2004 X2. Seems high for something that's easily accessible. Anybody had this done before on a similar boat?

Thanks.
Tell them you want an itemized estimate and justification for that price. Ask if they're aware that a less expensive part has been shown to work.

If you get in their grill to aggressively, expect them to tell you to go somewhere else.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:06 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: SOLD 2007 X1
If you search the forums for "fuel pump", you will not be happy with what you read. $550-$700 would be about right from what I have read but I have never let my tank get below 3/8 full because of this forum. Some people have retro fitted other pumps for less.

Do the search and there are a lot of threads on costs, retros, and general complaints.

EDIT - sorry for the dupliate info - looks like others were posting at the same time and beat me to it....
Old 07-27-2010, 04:07 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: ProStar 197, 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgravlin View Post

Thanks.
For a ProStar 197, my dealer charged a total of $570, including the pump, a service call, labor and tax.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:19 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1995 Prostar 190 with LT1
Fuel pump failure in boats, cars, or any other vehicle that has an in-tank pump with an EFI system is caused by running the vehicle either out of Gas, or Consistently below 1/8 tank. The pumps are kept cold by the fuel and when there is no fuel to keep it cool. The impeller veins in the pump burn up. Much like a raw water pump for your boats. So the large problem is due to the fact that people, myself and all my friends included wait until the boat is very low to fill up. So asking your dealer to help with this bill is a little selfish. Sorry to Say. If you caused the problem, Man up and pay the bill to fix it. I have had to do the pump on my boat, and my buddies boat, because I ran it out of gas when he let me borrow his boat.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:30 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
1995Prostar190 -

Designing an expensive part that fails rapidly in NORMAL situations is an engineering failure. Running car out of gas is a NORMAL situation that has occurred since the dawn of the automotive age; any automotive engineer should take that into account when designing the fuel supply system.

Continuing to use a part that has been shown to fail rapidly in NORMAL situations is a management failure. Whether you want to point at GM, Mastercraft, or whoever else, this is a problem that should have been resolved 10 years ago, rather than pointing at the user and saying "Ha, Ha, you used the part the way we knew you would, not the way we told you you had to, so pony up $700".

There is no engineering reason why an in-tank fuel pump should have to fail as a result of running out of gas. None, except it would cost a few bucks more to build a pump that didn't. This is an example of "externalized costs" - the manufacturer saves a few bucks, then makes the customer pay for the cost of replacing the improperly engineered part.

Fortunately, I have an external pump that doesn't seem to care much about running out of fuel.

/frank
Old 07-27-2010, 04:31 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 X-10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
There's a bunch of threads on fuel pumps in the Maint section, do a search.
Bottom line, $80-$100 get's you a new pump from the auto parts store, you have to pull the module and change out the pump. $4-500 gets you a new module from MC, you change. $7-800 gets you a new module installed by the dealer.
This. Changed mine yesterday on a 2004 X-10 for $104 (Airtek E2044 from Advance). Pretty easy solution.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 02 XStar LTR 330 hp
Send a message via Yahoo to kal_dude
i just changed mine in april (02 X-star) the fuel pump/sending unit with next day air, and tax was $461 and i changed it myself. should take you approx. 15 min. easy to do, just make sure you have the correct tool for getting the fuel line off the sending unit. also see if you can get a gauge to check fuel press after you are done to make sure its in spec.