Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 07-18-2010, 09:30 PM
2gnospam

Pylon Stuck. Help!

Trying to remove and replace the pylon on my 1987 PS 190. Pylon is very corroded near the floor and thus needs a replacement. I removed the two u-bolts but it still will not budge. I suspect it is corroded to the cross member cylinder under floor, but not sure of the best way to free things up. Looking for ideas? Have any of you experienced a very corroded pylon?

Thanks
Gary
Old 07-19-2010, 10:23 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1988, ProStar 190, 351w
Bummer, have not had that problem so not much help. If it was me, I would start with a good soaking in penetrating oil like liquid wrench. Then I would think just apply some force, maybe with a ratchet strap in the direction away from the cross member. Could also try to twist it with a strap wrench.... Good luck
Old 07-19-2010, 01:43 PM
2gnospam

I am from Claytor Lake also! I put penetrating oil near the end of the day yesterday. Will let it sit. Tried tapping with a hammer both vertically and horizontally. Tried twisting with a pipe wrench. The pole is not going to be used again. I assume there is noting else to remove after the two u-bolts?
Old 07-20-2010, 12:33 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1988, ProStar 190, 351w
Hey cool, not many older MasterCrafts on the lake. Keep an eye out for me and the family in a gray and black 88 190. Just picked it up late last year and restored it over the winter.

You are correct, the two U bolts are the only things you should need to remove prior to lifting the pylon out. Might be helpful if you could apply heat, but I am afraid the fiberglass will be damaged. Possibly try to drive a wedge down between the cross member and the pylon to see if that will break it free? If worse comes to worse, perhaps try to remove front bilge cover. Not sure this is possible with the pylon in place (pretty tough even with it out); however, if it is you could remove the entire cross member and pylon together and separate them on a bench (or replace both).

I noticed you appear to be stuck as a "guest". You can fix that if you like via these directions:
//www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=26931
Old 07-20-2010, 06:21 PM
jason b

I had same problem in past. try this if you are going to replace the pylon. drill 2 holes in each side ahead of the stub at bottom. now penitrating oil can reach inside the tube. let stand then try to take off with pipe wrench.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:26 PM
2gnospam

Thanks for the input. Out of town for the next week but will try it as soon as I get back. Thanks again.

Gary