Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 07-20-2010, 04:56 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Prostar, 190, 1994, 350,
no fuel to fuel pump

I have a 1994 Mastercraft 190 with 350. with throttle body and injectors. Last weekend I replaced the water/gas canister filter. and since, haven't been able to get any fuel coming thru to the engine. on the engine side of fuel pump, it's spitting air when I turn on the engine and it cycles up. but never gets fuel. tried cycling it thru many times. and never any fuel. in fact, not getting fuel into the water/gas canister which would be the first point it should appear. I did spin it back off and filled with gas. but suspect I should have done this in the first place. now I think I have a line full of air and not sure how to fix the problem.?? any thoughts?
Old 07-20-2010, 05:01 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1995 prostar 190 lt1 powerslot
those canister filters have an inlet and outlet. is it possible you have it in backwards?
Old 07-20-2010, 05:39 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 95 PS 190 EFI
Send a message via AIM to jimmer2880
Some of the fuel tanks have an anti-siphon ball on the hose, where it leaves the tank. I've heard of these causing problems when doing fuel work. You may want to check there.

Also - some canisters have a bleeder button/screw on the bottom. Have you tried that?
"I kept a crabgrass free lawn"
It's time to SKI.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:40 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 95 PS 190 EFI
Send a message via AIM to jimmer2880
Also, To get fuel from your canister to the pump, put some gas into an empty, clean mustard bottle. Take off your spark arrestor and pour a little gas directly down the carb. You will need to run it like this for a little while, until the fuel makes its way to the pump.
"I kept a crabgrass free lawn"
It's time to SKI.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:05 PM
TT Newbie

thanks for ideas

no chance of inlet/outlet being mixed up. the canister is a simple screw off/on, like an oil filter. didn't touch the existing inlet/outlet hoses. and there's no bleeder button either on the canister or anywhere else along the way.
will check the other suggestions made when I get up to the lake again this weekend.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:24 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
Did you fill up the canister with fuel before installing it?
Old 07-21-2010, 07:48 PM
TT Newbie

fuel filter

no, I didn't fill the filter first...seemed to be 2 different opinions on that. I've since gone back and filled the filter. bit late tho' and it appears that there's some kind of air bubble blocking the flow?
Old 07-21-2010, 08:31 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 Maristar 200VRS X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmer2880 View Post
Also, To get fuel from your canister to the pump, put some gas into an empty, clean mustard bottle. Take off your spark arrestor and pour a little gas directly down the carb. You will need to run it like this for a little while, until the fuel makes its way to the pump.
Do this, it should work.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:40 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckwest View Post
no, I didn't fill the filter first...seemed to be 2 different opinions on that. I've since gone back and filled the filter. bit late tho' and it appears that there's some kind of air bubble blocking the flow?
Prime the separator. If you don't, it's like the biggest case of vapor lock possible. When the old canister comes off, the gas drains from both directions and it needs to be filled. If you have a TBI motor, drizzle some gas into the throttle body and start it. The pump will draw gas faster this way. Cranking it for a long time just wears down the battery and heats up the starter.

Tags
fuel, fuel pump, water gas filter