Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 07-20-2010, 11:50 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2000' 205V /w 1800lbs of ballast
New fuel Sender - How to calibrate?l

Hey fellas,

I have a 2000 205V that had a gas gauge that was always reading full. I replaced the in tank sender with a brand new one, and now the fuel gauge moves as the gas level changes but it never reads full. With the tank full to the spout it reads about 3/4.

I know on most other senders there are calibration screws that you turn until your guage reads the proper level. The problem is on this particular sender there are no adjustment screws, and no in tank float (thought it could be stuck).

Anyone know what I need to do to calibrate it, or is it even possible?

Many thanks,
Don
Old 07-20-2010, 03:04 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft 205, 1999, LTR
Have the same issue with my new sender on my '99. Any ideas out there?
Old 07-22-2010, 05:39 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2000' 205V /w 1800lbs of ballast
I found a link on the Centroid Products page. Step D when refering to magnets is what we are likely interested in ... To do empty I guess we just place the mag on there for 2 seconds when the sender is out of the tank, and to do full we place the mag on there for 5 installed in a full tank ..... ? Sounds simple ... yet error prone.

I probably won't have time to test this out until tomorrow night or Saturday. If you have some success please post, and I'll do the same.

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=...oi2u0EYspywF2w

EMPTY LEVEL ON SENDERS WITH THREE OR FOUR SCREW TERMINALS
The Empty level will already be calibrated to be the bottom of the sender if you use the sender at its factory length. If you've
shortened the sender, the Empty should be recalibrated with the following steps. The timing is important. 1) have the sender
out of tank and wired normally, but power off; 2) have SEND temporarily jumpered to NEG; 3) turn the power on, but remove
the SEND/NEG jumper after TWO SECONDS (1000-1, 1000-2). The needle will then do some bouncing and finish on Empty.
If it finishes somewhere other than E or lower, there is a wiring problem or mismatched output range. Please email/fax for help.

Full will be calibrated at the factory a couple inches below the sender's head. If you've shortened the sender, or prefer a different Full height, the Full can be recalibrated with the following steps:

1) have sender in full tank (or tube) of the appropriate liquid, and wired normally, but power off;

2) have SEND temporarily jumpered to NEG; 3) turn the power on, but remove the SEND/NEG jumper after FIVE SECONDS (1000-1, 1000-2, 1000-3, 1000-4, 1000-5). The needle will then do some bouncing and finish on Full. If it finishes somewhere other than F or higher, there is a wiring problem or mismatched output range.

D. SENDERS WITH TWO SCREW TERMINALS, AND SENDERS WITH WIRES OR CONNECTORS
A rare-earth magnet (provided with the sender, or use Radio Shack 64-1895) is used to set Empty and/or Full on senders with two terminals, or with wires or connectors. The word MAG with an arrow should be found on the label. Instead of shorting terminals in steps 5B and 5C, place the magnet vertically on the surface of the epoxy, above the MAG arrow, for the seconds listed. That will internally cause the desired short.

Cheers,
Don

Last edited by 2000205V; 07-22-2010 at 05:46 PM.