Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 07-03-2005, 09:12 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2000 Mastercraft Prostar 205V
Question Another Day on the Lake, Another Problem Discoverd

2000 MC PS 205V - Seems like this may be related to my post yesterday - where the ballast bag kept emptying after filling. Didn't use the ballast today, but when we were putting the boat up, my son was taking out the center plug and said "Hey Dad, there's a broken hose down here." It was getting late and light was not the best, but sure enough one of the bilge pump hoses was hanging loose. Actually the hose was OK, but the plastic nipple on the bilge pump had broken off clean, so only a short stub was left on the pump, the rest clamped inside the hose.

Seems like there are two bilge pumps near the centerline. Both pumps are cylinder shaped, yellow sides, black tops. The broken nipple is the top nipple on the pump on the drivers side - It faces toward the stern, but the hose does a 180 and then heads toward the bow. The passanger side pump looks identical, but seems to be connected to some kind of switch with the word VENT on the switch top plastic cover.

Anyone know what kind of bilge pump I need to buy or how I can find out? How difficult is it to replace the broken pump? Any special tips or "watchouts" - Or should I just let the dealer do it? Thanks for any help.
Old 07-03-2005, 09:30 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieMastecraft
2000 MC PS 205V - Seems like this may be related to my post yesterday - where the ballast bag kept emptying after filling. Didn't use the ballast today, but when we were putting the boat up, my son was taking out the center plug and said "Hey Dad, there's a broken hose down here." It was getting late and light was not the best, but sure enough one of the bilge pump hoses was hanging loose. Actually the hose was OK, but the plastic nipple on the bilge pump had broken off clean, so only a short stub was left on the pump, the rest clamped inside the hose.

Seems like there are two bilge pumps near the centerline. Both pumps are cylinder shaped, yellow sides, black tops. The broken nipple is the top nipple on the pump on the drivers side - It faces toward the stern, but the hose does a 180 and then heads toward the bow. The passanger side pump looks identical, but seems to be connected to some kind of switch with the word VENT on the switch top plastic cover.

Anyone know what kind of bilge pump I need to buy or how I can find out? How difficult is it to replace the broken pump? Any special tips or "watchouts" - Or should I just let the dealer do it? Thanks for any help.
Sir, with all due respect, most anything on a boat (within reason of discussion here) can be fixed by the owner. That's all I'm going to say about dealer work for any number of reasons of personal opinion.

I fool with the early model boats as a preference and don't see a lot of the newer stuff as you have described but one of these guys or gals will chime in.

Replacing a broken pump should be easy enough. Access it, remove the cover, remove the mounting screws, replace as such and away you go. There's more detail tips but I'm thinking you see the point here. Patience with your boat. They all have some quirks.

These older boats are simple enough, straight forward and it's easy to give advice for patience ...

The pumps you have are of a particular capacity and are most likely they're from one of any number of bidding suppliers (generally speaking). Point being, another pump of same or similar capacity will move the water out to sea should you not be able to replace the pump like-for-like.
Here is an example from a place that a lot of us here use for parts...

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=6031726

Don't get discouraged as these boats are money pits from the get-go... LOL.... Didn't you read the small print in the sales contract???

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Last edited by Cloaked; 07-03-2005 at 09:47 PM.
Old 07-03-2005, 09:42 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: White/Red 91 PS 190
I may not be reading this correctly....
but I'm thinking you broke off a "barbed fitting" like this:

or is the "wet end" of that pump molded all in one?

Team MasterCraft Google Search Engine
Old 07-03-2005, 10:30 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2000 Mastercraft Prostar 205V
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmania
I may not be reading this correctly....
but I'm thinking you broke off a "barbed fitting" like this:

or is the "wet end" of that pump molded all in one?
Yes, the barbed fitting broke off, but it is does not have threads like the picture you posted, it appeared to be one molded piece of the pump.
Old 07-03-2005, 11:15 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: White/Red 91 PS 190
I once had a screen filter/ barb piece break off on my travel trailer's fresh water pump... went and searched google and found the wet end head that fit that pump. Same thing on my swimming pool's pump

that may be an option, or replace the whole pump and repair the broken one as a spare.

Team MasterCraft Google Search Engine
Old 07-04-2005, 10:55 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieMastecraft

I've replaced a lot of bilge pumps on various boats. I'm new to Mastercraft, but I assume the concepts are similar, especially after taking a close look at the forward bilge pump on my new Maristar. Compared to my last bilge pump replacement in my Century I/O, replacing the one in my Maristar would be a comparitive chip shot (due primarily to accessibility).

You need to select the bilge pump based on size of the hose it will connect to (needs same size barb as previous pump), and a built-in switch. Within that range, get the largest capacity pump you can find IMHO. If you go to almost any boat store, you will see racks and racks of bilge pumps. Pull out the old one and screw down the new one in the same location. There will be three wires going from the boat to the pump, so that you can switch it on manually, but will also switch on automatically via its internal float switch.

Many bilge pumps have a cage that is screwed down to secure to the hull, then the actual pump just clips onto the cage. Theoretically, you could just unclip your pump from the existing cage, and clip in a new one of the same model. In reality, you may find it difficult to find that same model pump, hence the whole unit, cage and pump, needs to be replaced.

The only "watchout" I can think of is to make sure you get it wired correctly. Almost all of these automatic pumps have a little trip lever on the outside so that you can trip the float manually to test its automatic fucntion. When you're done, make sure that you can activate the pump manually from the dash switch, and that tripping the float lever on the pump also turns it on.

Last edited by bigmac; 07-04-2005 at 10:59 AM.