Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 07-13-2010, 08:16 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Masercraft, Prostar 190, 1993, 5.8L
cover trouble

I recently purchased a cover from ski boat covers (army duck material) and I am very happy with the construction and quality of the material. My only problem has been that I keep collecting rain water on both sides of the dog house. This has to be dipped out or either run into the boat and pumped out. I dont like either process, lol! I have my poles set to what I think they should be and I know the rope is tight under the rub rail. Anyone have any suggestions/tips? The boat sits outside and will be exposed to rain about 5 months out of the year. Thanks.

JD

1993 Prostar 190
Old 07-13-2010, 09:48 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1993 190 with LT1
I have seen guys store their kid's tubes (vertically) on either side of the doghouse to prop up the cover.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:02 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Make some cover supports out of pvc pipe that form the cover to the shape you need to get it to drain. On my 190 it took a post over the ski pylon that was taller than the pylon itself and a "bar" behind the motor box that was a little taller than the gunwales.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 07-13-2010, 10:03 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft 205, 1999, LTR
Providing that your cover is water proof, the key is to properly tent the cover to eliminate pooling of rain water. I fabricated some supports using PVC pipe to fit under my cover to accomplish this. There are commercial systems available too. A single pole works well in the bow, but for my boat was insufficient for the seating area.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:59 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1976 Mastercraft
I purchased a cover from them last fall. Included were 2 inside snaps along the centerline and 2 adjustable alum poles with the opp end of the snaps, crutch tips on both ends. I placed one just fwd of the pylon and the other just behind the engine box. It rolled the water off good w/ no pooling however it wasn't waterproof as I had expected. Was there any mention of this system when you purchased the cover? The PVC mentioned will do the job fine after some fitment, etc.
Alternately you may want to send it back to have the snap system installed. The cover has the usual beltline below the rub rail plus nylon tie down straps along the bottom. It tows well and stays tight, we need to tow w/ the cover on as the last 15 miles to our cabin is dirt, the cover does a nice job, sealing well.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:02 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
Never had any problems with mine. It was a waterline cover though. The key is to get everything taunt and the poles extended. I had to leave the boat outside during a big rainstorm and did not have a bit of pooling... the boat stayed 100% dry.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:41 AM
TT Regular

Yes - the poles and snaps came with mine and I believe they do well to roll the water off the stern and bow of the boat, but not port and starboard. I have played around with the heights here and there, but that doesn't seem to have an effect on the areas around the doghouse. I believe I will try some PVC to handle the situation, thought about it before but wanted to see what others thought.

Sodar - I thought about the waterline cover and now that I see yours I am jealous! Do you have any experience with that cover on in the water? My boat will get hit with some small waves and the cover will probably stay decently wet along the waterline. Any experience?

Thanks for the responses guys!

JD

1993 Prostar 190
Old 07-14-2010, 11:57 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X10
When I used to have a SAN, I used some wooden dowels and a tennis ball. Poked a hole in the tennis ball and stuck it on the end of the dowel and proped it up under the cover. That seemed to work pretty well. Not sure if it would work for your situation. Just mentioned it in case it might.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:01 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
I had the same cover as Sodar and never had a problem. You probably just need to tighten up your straps on the side of the boat a bit more. I stored my boat outside with that cover for two years and never had a pooling issue but I did cinch it down VERY tight. You can see the back pole sticking up in this photo.
Attached Images

1997 Prostar 190, TBI 350, 1:1, OJ XMP 13 x 11.5, Stargazer, Hot Shower, Heated Drivers Seat, Reuben/Mountain Rock/Nite Navy

Last edited by BrianM; 07-14-2010 at 05:04 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:37 PM
TT Regular

Yes - I think cinching would help a ton - unfortunately its in the water. Did you have any experience with your waterline cover in the water (i.e. - getting wet etc.)? Every time I see one I like the idea of it more and more, lol.

1993 Prostar 190