Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 07-06-2010, 06:41 PM
TT Regular

Boat: MC, ProStar 190, Indmar
Exclamation 95 Prostar 190 Loose rudder: access question?

Hi to all and happy summer.
checked my rudder and there was about 3 inches of play left and right of center.
Called mastercraft here in palm beach county and they said that if they could get to the rudder without having to remove the full gas tank it would be cheaper....no kidding!
Anyway could use some help from you guys out there: please tell me can i access my rudder assembly etc... without having to remove the gas tank?
thanks
p.s.I didnt feel much play at all when on the water driving the boat and it handled pretty well just felt a tapping flapping but from under the floor in the front area at slow speed. My main worry is : how dangerous is it to keep driving the boat with the rudder issue till i run down my full gas tank? thanks
Old 07-06-2010, 09:32 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
If you pull the floor panel behind the engine as well as the back seat and panel behind it you might be able to get some access to it under the tank. It's tight though.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:47 PM
TT Regular

update!!!

Here are the pictures of the cracked rudder port , now the question is can I buy just a rudder port or do I have to buy the whole rudder assembly? and where can I buy one or the other? thanks
Attached Images

Old 07-08-2010, 08:54 PM
TT Regular

I have removed the four nuts from the top of the rudder port, and loosened the nut that tightens around the top of the rudder shaft but the rudder wont come loose? help please
Old 07-08-2010, 09:34 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
You should be able to buy just the port.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:52 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
No need to pull the tank. Take back seat out, unscrew floor section and undo the motor box gas struts. Fold the floor up to the motor box = access to the rudder.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 07-09-2010, 10:16 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
Did you hit something? I have never seen a port crack like that without extensive gel/fiberglass damage.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:40 PM
TT Regular

thanks for the replies the issue is all done. today after cleaning 30 pools, I came home removed the port without removing the gas tank, went to mastercraft of south fla, and thanks to Dan the Man at service and parts dept, sold me $175 upgraded new port. I went home and as he said had to drill out the existing hole to accept the 2.25 inch rudder port which was a quarter inch larger than the old cracked one. Thanks to a friend who happend to visit who is a apm, he assembles the black hawk helicopters here at the sikorsky plant,I was able to finish the job by 9pm. I saved myself about $400 bucks by doing it myself. I feel good and my head is starting to grow, i'm still itching from the dust but now I can buy myself some new speakers with the money I saved. Thanks to all especially tex. will post new pics later going to the lake sat. morning to test everything out.