Go Back   TeamTalk > News & Information > Suggestions > MasterCraft

Old 07-07-2010, 03:43 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft, ProStar 190, 1998, LT1, 30th Annv. Edition
Send a message via Skype™ to seansherrod
Lightbulb Innovation series, episode 4: perfect pull

Note that this is episode 4 so if you're just jumping in, you might find it helpful to go back to episode 1 for the intro.

You might have figured out the idea from the title already. It's pretty simple. Basically, this is an enhancement to the speed control system frequently offered by Perfect Pass. The speed control systems today can hold plus or minus a couple of tenths of a mph in steady state (constant speed). It seems like it would be a relatively minor enhancement to enable the systems to control speed during a dynamic state (acceleration). I'd like to be able to 'teach' the speed control system how to do a pull so that it can mimic the acceleration curve I taught it up to the set speed.

I figure that this is most helpful when I'm boating with friends that are't as familiar with pulling a skier. I don't always feel like training them (from the water) how to pull a skier just because I feel like going for a ski run. By the way, I do mean friends here because my wife is a fantastic driver so I've got no concerns there - this really is for friends in my case.

It would be nice to have the option to select from several acceleration curves: wakeboard, ski, etc. As with the previous posts, feel free to offer related suggestions or tell me where this option is available if I just missed it.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:16 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Past: 1994 PS 205 --> Now: Nothing
From a purely "controls" standpoint, the ramping of a setpoint should be inconsequential.

In terms of implementation, what has been tried in the past, what is available now, etc., I would be interested as well. Anyone?

"Magna opera Domini exquisita in omnes voluntates ejus" - James Clerk Maxwell, physics pioneer, 1874
Old 07-08-2010, 02:55 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2003 Prostar 197 35th Anniversary Edition
Sounds like a great idea to me. Such a system could have selectable, pre-set acceleration profiles designated A (slow and easy), B, C, and D (throttle slam). For example, it would be nice if a beginning skier/boarder, or a guy recovering from an injury, could say "give me a 'A Pull-up' please."

Ha! Now PerfectPass has to list us as co-inventors when they file their patent application.

2003 Prostar 197 35th Anniversary
Old 07-08-2010, 03:01 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1993 Prostar 205
Send a message via AIM to cbryan70
This has already been done in an older system. I also beleive mercury has this with there smartcraft as well
Old 07-08-2010, 03:08 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
Actually, such a thing did exist, and my friend has it in his PS190. It was a competitor for PP, called "Accuski". Lots of links on Google.

It was remarkably helpful in teaching, as the pullout was very consistent from run to run.

You could set the type of pullout (wakeboard, slalom, etc), crew weight, skier weight, various others that controlled how hard the pullout was. It had both RPM and Speed modes, depending on what you were doing - RPM was most accurate for slalom, but Speed was most accurate for wake, IIRC.

We've been occasionally working on a copy for the last several years - one of us spends a couple of days on it every six months or so.

/frank
Old 07-08-2010, 03:12 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1983 SS, 1991 PS190
This capability was standard on the Accuski speed control system. It is called the "auto up" feature. You choose the accelleration rate ranging from 1 to 100 for up to 10 individual skiers (also stores the individual skier weight, starting speed, etc); 100 being full throttle. With a touch of a button, the system was armed, the you simply pushed the throttle forward about 60 -70 degrees and the system would automatically perform a nice rolling accelleration with an intensity defined by the rate chosen. Also, the Accuski does not require all the other inputs (Kx,Px, A1 -C3blah, blah) required by the more common perfect pass and zero off. To this day, I don't know why perfect pass beat out Accuski.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:01 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2003 Prostar 197 35th Anniversary Edition
I wonder why PP didn't adopt this feature into their system. Expense or lack of demand??? If the Accuski system has been in use more than 20 years, any patent would have expired or otherwise be unenforceable by now, so that shouldn't be a reason (unless the Accuski system is relatively new).

2003 Prostar 197 35th Anniversary
Old 07-08-2010, 05:38 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherd View Post
I wonder why PP didn't adopt this feature into their system. Expense or lack of demand??? If the Accuski system has been in use more than 20 years, any patent would have expired or otherwise be unenforceable by now, so that shouldn't be a reason (unless the Accuski system is relatively new).
My guess is that that wasn't something PP thought was worth incorporating. Even so, my guess is there are probably a few years left on that patent.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:13 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: mastercraft, X-30, 2004, MCX.
Seems hard to believe it would make much difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
Myself I'll live on the edge and surf without a helmet.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:16 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
I wonder if PerfectPass left if out because of a liability issue.

A accelerating high powered ski boat with the driver watching his skier could be considered to risky to take to market.

Last edited by ski_king; 07-09-2010 at 01:19 PM.