Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 07-07-2010, 11:18 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2010 MasterCraft Prostar 190 TT, Indmar MCX GM 350
Stereo Project.... Need Some advice.....

I am considering upgrading some components of my stock stereo system in my 2005 Prostar 197TT. It came with a Clarion system with two (2) 6.5” speakers forward of the cockpit in the upholstery, two (2) 6.5” speakers with the tweeters off to the side on the tower, and two (2) 6.5” speakers under the back passenger seat.

I need some education on a few things before I move forward in this project since I have not messed with stereos since high school:

So here are a few questions:

1) I am assuming the two (2) speakers in front (forward of the cockpit) and under the passenger seat can be replaced with regular 6.5” speakers?

2) As for the two (2) speakers on the tower with the tweeters off to the side – do I have to replace these with speakers with the same EXACT configuration? Can these cans be fabricated to accommodate regular speakers such as the two (2) in the very front and under the passenger seat? If not, I am assuming I need to buy new cans? Or – do I need to replace these with speakers EXACTLY the same (with the tweeters off to the side)?

3) Part of this project will include adding a subwoofer… Where is the BEST place to locate this in the 197?

4) Will I need to add another battery to power all of this equipment? Currently my 197 has two (2) amps… This project will include removing these (two) amps and replacing them with one amp….

5) The Clarion face unit is located in the glove box on the passenger side and does not have a jack for an I-Pod connection. Is there a connection located in the back of the unit? If not how do I get around this without replacing the entire unit?

I look forward to your input, suggestions, and recommendations.

Thanks,

Ted

Hook Em' Horns
Old 07-07-2010, 11:31 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Sodar has a great thread on his stereo install in his 197. I will see if I can locate that thread for you.

/edit. Here is the thread.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.

Last edited by east tx skier; 07-07-2010 at 11:34 AM.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:11 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2010 MasterCraft Prostar 190 TT, Indmar MCX GM 350
Wow! SODAR's install is awesome and VERY clean as well...... Don't know if I want to get that technical and some of his work is beyond my capabilities.....

Hook Em' Horns