Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 07-04-2010, 11:57 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1983 S&S
What does transmission slipping feel like - Please Help

What does typical transmission slipping feel like, sound like or look like on the tach.

Just changed trans fluid last night. Oil was amber color. Didn't smell bad. Used suction pump and pulled about 2.5 quarts out. Refilled with Valvoline Dex/Mer. Said for Dexron III and below applications. Powerslot.

Running really well. Took it up to full speed and it seemed like the the engine speed was higher 5500 RPM @ 42 MPH. Don't know how accurate the spedo are. Seemed like top engine speed before was 4500 to 5000. I just can't remember. No surging at speed or on acceleration. Accelerates well and pulls strong. When I stuff it the engine speed pulls up fast and the boat speed then catches up. I assume because the prop is in water. This would be similar to a burn-out in a car. However since I can't hear the tires squeal all I can think of is a roasting clutch.

Checked oil and it was now amber red / orange color probably from mixing with what was left in there. I think I am going to change it again or even twice. Since I was having some issues with the tach I am going to hook up my TinyTach from the lawn mower and verify the engine speed.
Old 07-04-2010, 01:24 PM
Skipper

From what you describe I don't suspect that your transmission is slipping. It would be signified by a sudden loss of forward motion and a surge in RPM's. Really not a good thing at all. Most common is for a transmission to continue to turn the driveshaft while in neutral.
Old 07-04-2010, 02:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks

Drive shaft doesn't move a bit in neutral. Also haven't noticed any RPM surges or instability. After cleaning the carb the throttle response is really good. Which I'm not use to.

Going out to check the tach, change the fluid and clean the screen. Just to make sure everything is OK.

Then as doctor prescribed "Go and Play Hard...Repeat Daily"

Last edited by Nvrgvup; 07-04-2010 at 06:47 PM.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:57 PM
TT Enthusiast

Changed out trans fluid again. Probably really didn't need to, however it is really clean now. The problem last night seems like it was the tach reading high. Put my TinyTach on and ran it across the band. The boats tach seems to gradually read higher across the band. OK at idle to about 1000 high at top end. According to the TinyTach at 4250 RPMs it was running about 42 MPH.

I'll have to put a new tach on my Christmas list.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:07 PM
Skipper

RPM and speed are very consistent. I really don't think your transmission is slipping.