Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 04-08-2010, 11:52 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1997 Maristar 225 VRS
Fuel gauge problems

I am new on here, but hope someone would help me out on my fuel gauge. I have a 97 Maristar and went to change out dash panels. When I re-wired everything, it all came on except the fuel gauge. The fuel gauge is lighting up, but the needle won't move off of empty. We just filled the boat up so I know it is full. We called my marine mechanic here in North Alabama and they said without looking at it that it could be the fuel sensor. Has anyone experienced this and if so, where would be a good place to buy a new sensor? Thanks for the help!
Old 04-14-2010, 09:26 PM
Skipper

If you are proficient with an ohm meter then you can determine whether it is the fuel gage, wiring, or the sending unit inside the fuel cell. On the back of the fuel guage you probably have pos/neg for the light bulb on the guage. There is also a connection for the sending unit. First, make sure you got the wires in the proper place. The fuel sending unit is inside the fuel cell. It is not easy to get to and may require the removal of the fuel cell to access it. Basically, a float is mounted to a rod that sits in the fuel cell. As the float sits lower and lower on the rod, the amount of voltage or amperage going to the fuel guage changes which is reflected by the dial moving. Try applying some voltage to the fuel guage and seeing if the guage responds. If it does, then the guage is probably ok. That points to the sending unit.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:26 PM
TT Newbie

U R making it to hard

This may be coming too late but there is a test that requires only a piece of wire. Once you find where the fuel gage sensing unit is, and there are two wires attached to it, simply hold a piece of wire across each terminal. If the fuel gage then reads full, the sending unit is needs replaced.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: maristar 230
What if it reads full all the time? I have a 2000 maristar thinking of purchasing a new fuel sensor, but want to make sure that is it. Guage is new from factory, had it replaced in the deal of the purchase was weather/sun cracked. Help me quick about to press the buy button