Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 07-01-2010, 04:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 ProStar 190/454HO
Project : 88 Prostar 190 - 454 Indmar rebuild time

Just purchased a 1988 Prostar 190 with an Indmar 454 - 897 hours on the run meter. Starting this thread to tap the expertise of the community and document my process for others to benefit from.

This boat had a former life as a show skiboat, though the prior owner was not said show-ski owner. Took the boat out for a pull before purchasing -- she rumbled like any good 454 should. PO had a mechanical inspection sheet from a year prior (he had a new carb and water pump put on the engine for $1400), so I bought in confidence for $6700. PO suggested I change oil and tranny fluid, as he had not done so the year prior (no hours on the boat this year yet).

Took boat skiing with my buddies a few days later, pulls like a monster (hang on tight). Idle was set a little high, and engine idles well but sounded like it had a custom cam (wouldn't surprise me given the original application, but read on)

Took boat to my local trusted boat mechanic (non-MC dealer but does a lot of I/O and outboard work, mercury/yamaha trained wrenchmonkey) to change oil and give it a once over. Took out spark plug #1 and immediate had that sinking feeling - plug was shiny new, no carbon. Compression test and a little messing around later revealed that cyl#1 intake valve is in the permanently open position. So i'm planning to pull the exhaust manifolds and heads tomorrow (going skiing on my other boat tonight, it's too nice to start wrenching tonight).

I've tore down a few chevy and ford automobile engines, but I don't do much of the rebuild work myself -- too many specialized tools and tiny parts in the valve train. That said -- any old-hat experience here on things to look for or ways to be efficient in this process?

Second - I really want to avoid pulling the block out of the boat if I can avoid it. I'm hopping I can have the top half of the engine rebuilt while leaving the block in place. Again, any commentary here on prior success or failure.

Third - I see that one of the head bolts has been snapped off just inside the head (part is still sticking out, below flush on the head). I am guessing I'm going to need to have that drilled out and/or re-tapped. Any good advice here?

Fourth - While I am ripping it apart... what else should i look/check for. (inside)

Fifth - Along the same lines - outside the engine - since i'm investing in rebuilding the top half - anything else that I should dig into? The distributor looks old, but inside it seems to have electronic ignition (can take pictures). It has an electronics unit, but I still see a condenser in there too. Scarring on the pickups doesn't seem too bad; my local beer drinking engine buddy said it he might replace the distributor rotor, cap, and wires; i wasn't really sure it needed it. Underneath, the weights and magnets look rusted, but the move smoothly and easily. Not really sure i want to mess with the distributor, might be wasting $$. (again, can take pictures when I start pulling it apart)

Sixth - if i'm going to tear the top of the engine apart, i'm assuming i'm going to need one of these? - http://www.iboats.com/Chevy-Marine-4...view_id.174853
Old 07-01-2010, 04:11 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
Sounds like you probably just need to have the heads worked. No need to take the engine out. Just take off the intake and exhaust manifolds then take the heads off and then have your local machine shop rebuild them for you. Besides that I would swap out the points to electronic if it hasnt had that done and replace all of the 'tune up' parts (cap, rotor, plugs wires and filters) then call it a day.

1997 Prostar 190, TBI 350, 1:1, OJ XMP 13 x 11.5, Stargazer, Hot Shower, Heated Drivers Seat, Reuben/Mountain Rock/Nite Navy

Old 07-01-2010, 04:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Day 0 Pictures

Some pictures of the boat, accessories, and hull damage.
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2010, 04:33 PM
TT Enthusiast

More pictures

A few more shots including a few of the motor
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2010, 04:44 PM
TT Enthusiast

And a few more of the other end.
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2010, 04:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Wow that gets tall in a hurry.

Looking for a few more bits of advice:

#1) The pylon - Anyone seen one of these before? Any idea who made it? It makes it hard to put a skylon on there. Not sure if I want to invest in a tower for this boat, given I really need an open bow boat in a few years (4 kids, ages 5,3,2, and -1 ->due july 17). Plan to get this one in great shape and then sell it to buy up to a open bow, 205 or hopefully a 214 (X-14?)

#2) shots 3 and 4 - a tiny bit of gelcoat damage below the water level. recommendations for repair? I plan to take it to someone, anything I should look for? I live in northeastern wisconsin btw, if anyone knows a great glass guy.

#3) shots 5 and 6 - someone biffed her in the nose and tail. i am getting the nose fixed next week, it drives me nuts what a half-ape job someone did on that. Note that the blue color is automotive paint. Someone did a good job, and I'm hemming and hawing about wetsanding down through the paint to the original gelcoat as a winter project; hard to guess why he painted it blue, if he was covering up damage, or just too lazy to work it out the hard way.

#4) shot #9 and 10 - those water hoses don't look up to spec. I saw some really slick ones in another post on an MCX, complete with mastercraft logos. Any idea where those came from?

#5) shot 11 - teak - eww. Going to try the harold (highly patient) method over the winter. Thanks for the geat discussion in the forums on that one

#6 - show 12 - the barefoot boom. Apparently manufactured by KW Barefoot Boom. Never seen one like it before :-)
Old 07-01-2010, 09:08 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1991 MasterCraft Prostar 190 PowerSlot
Send a message via AIM to DooSPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconover View Post
Wow that gets tall in a hurry.

Looking for a few more bits of advice:

#1) The pylon - Anyone seen one of these before? Any idea who made it? It makes it hard to put a skylon on there. Not sure if I want to invest in a tower for this boat, given I really need an open bow boat in a few years (4 kids, ages 5,3,2, and -1 ->due july 17). Plan to get this one in great shape and then sell it to buy up to a open bow, 205 or hopefully a 214 (X-14?)

#2) shots 3 and 4 - a tiny bit of gelcoat damage below the water level. recommendations for repair? I plan to take it to someone, anything I should look for? I live in northeastern wisconsin btw, if anyone knows a great glass guy.

#3) shots 5 and 6 - someone biffed her in the nose and tail. i am getting the nose fixed next week, it drives me nuts what a half-ape job someone did on that. Note that the blue color is automotive paint. Someone did a good job, and I'm hemming and hawing about wetsanding down through the paint to the original gelcoat as a winter project; hard to guess why he painted it blue, if he was covering up damage, or just too lazy to work it out the hard way.

#4) shot #9 and 10 - those water hoses don't look up to spec. I saw some really slick ones in another post on an MCX, complete with mastercraft logos. Any idea where those came from?

#5) shot 11 - teak - eww. Going to try the harold (highly patient) method over the winter. Thanks for the geat discussion in the forums on that one

#6 - show 12 - the barefoot boom. Apparently manufactured by KW Barefoot Boom. Never seen one like it before :-)
WOW!! Your up and coming baby is due on my Birthday!! Your boat looks like a great project! a 454 w/ a SLOT! thats a tug I bet.

Trying to keep slalom alive

Need a new prop to fit your needs? Call OJ PROPS 800-359-9730

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper View Post
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are stupid, than to open it and prove it"?
Old 07-02-2010, 09:22 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1995 Barefoot 200 Yamaha ProV 200, 1994 ProStar 190 LT1 1:1
Where are you located in Wisconsin?

You definitely have a unique boat with the 454!

Keep the boat as is in terms of not adding a tower. Towers to the late 80s series boats change the whole look of it, IMO.

My advice would be to concentrate on the engine concerns you have and worry about the cosmetics later.

I am interested in hearing about your progress. Congrats on the soon-to-be-addition to the household!

Good Luck on your new purchase!
Old 07-02-2010, 11:57 AM
TT Enthusiast

greater Green Bay area.

Got the exhaust manifolds off this morning. waiting for the service manual for the indmar to show up (UPS shows "en route to delivery"). Anyone know whether you need to pull the carb and/or distributor to remove the intake manifold. I'm probably going to mark and remove the distributor just in case; i seem to remember breaking one in a prior project trying to remove the intake manifold without pulling the distributor.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:39 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
454 and a Powerslot. That boat has got to be a monster.

1997 Prostar 190, TBI 350, 1:1, OJ XMP 13 x 11.5, Stargazer, Hot Shower, Heated Drivers Seat, Reuben/Mountain Rock/Nite Navy

Tags
88 prostar 190 454 indmar