Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-02-2010, 12:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: none
A towel stained my seat - how to fix?

I told my wife not to put any colored towels on the seats in the sun, but her wisdom is much greater than I could ever even imagine obtaining.

Long story short, purple towel on a white seat in the sun left some nice blue pigment. What is the best way to get rid of the stain?

Thanks.
Tim
Old 07-02-2010, 12:08 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X-1, 310RTP
I'd start with 303 cleaner. If that doesn't get it, try a Magic Eraser. I found that works well, though it might take a few sessions. Work it, then let it sit, then do it again.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:13 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
Depends on a lot of variables....

How about some pictures.

My guess is a good cleaner and magic eraser will lighten it up, but not completly remove it. Use and sun will make it almost completly fade away eventually
Old 07-02-2010, 12:19 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2010 MasterCraft Prostar 190 TT, Indmar MCX GM 350
My X did the same EXACT thing to my Nautique.... Had to have it re-upholstered...... I know that's probably NOT what you want to hear...... Sorry this happened to you.... Keep us posted on what transpires.....

Hook Em' Horns
Old 07-02-2010, 02:21 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 197 and 2007 X2
Relax. Take a deep breath. Now, DON'T use the magic eraser (It will take the texture out of the skin).

My soon to be estranged wife and I went out on the 197 after competing in a triathalon and, for some stupid reason having to do with vanity, SOMEBODY didn't wash the numbers off her arm and leg. As the day was hot, and we were whipped tired, we floated around the lake making good use of the sunpad for all of it's intended purposes. End of the day?? Yeah. Sharpie numbers in reverse on the sunpad skins. Of course I was concerned.

Not being in a position to replace or repair, I simply assumed that I was doomed to have stained skins. The sun (YES THE SUN) fixed my problem. Wipe the seats with a fabric cleaner that's non abrasive, then go use your boat. There is a very strong chance that they will get better on their own, and in a short period of time you won't even know or be able to find the blemishes. Just get it in the sun.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft Maristar 215
I had left some towells on the white seats of a previous boat and tried everything to get the color out of the seats. After all of the scrubbing and work to remove the stains I noticed that stains began to fade each time we used the boat. Get out and use your boat and over time the sun will fade the stains out of the seats. If this doesn't work at least your wife won't be able to complain that you aren't using the boat enough.

Enjoy the long weekend in the sun!!
Old 07-02-2010, 05:31 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
Quote:
Originally Posted by broncotw View Post
My X did the same EXACT thing to my Nautique.........
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justjoe View Post
.........My soon to be estranged wife ..........
see what happens when they mess up our boats?
Old 07-02-2010, 06:00 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2010 MasterCraft Prostar 190 TT, Indmar MCX GM 350
EXACTLY!!!! Enough said!!!!

Hook Em' Horns
Old 07-02-2010, 07:41 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X-1, 310RTP
Quote:
Relax. Take a deep breath. Now, DON'T use the magic eraser (It will take the texture out of the skin).
I used a magic eraser extensively on my sunpad when I bought my boat new to get stains the dealer left off and it did no damage to the texture of the vinyl whatsoever.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:09 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2004 MasterCraft ProStar 197
Quote:

My soon to be estranged wife and I went out on the 197 after competing in a triathalon and, for some stupid reason having to do with vanity, SOMEBODY didn't wash the numbers off her arm and leg. As the day was hot, and we were whipped tired, we floated around the lake making good use of the sunpad for all of it's intended purposes. End of the day?? Yeah. Sharpie numbers in reverse on the sunpad skins. Of course I was concerned.

Not being in a position to replace or repair, I simply assumed that I was doomed to have stained skins. The sun (YES THE SUN) fixed my problem. Wipe the seats with a fabric cleaner that's non abrasive, then go use your boat. There is a very strong chance that they will get better on their own, and in a short period of time you won't even know or be able to find the blemishes. Just get it in the sun.
I second that. Had the same experience with my daughter after a triathalon. As dumb as this may sound, the sharpie had reacted with her suntan lotion and that is part of what made the transfer occur. I do not remember if she had sun tan lotion on before the race, but that might have been a factor too. Anyway, I actually took more sun tan lotion and was able to get rid of most of the stain just by putting it on the spot, leaving it for about 5 minutes and then wiping it off. I did this while we were still on the lake and I was freaking out about my brand new boat. I would say 2 more outings and the sun faded what remained to the point that it was completely gone. I did put 303 on the seat when we got home that day, and might have hit it with the magic eraser too, I am not sure since its been a few years. In any case, this is an example of time heals everything. Good Luck.

2004 Prostar 197 - Red on White

350 TBI, Perfect Pass, Heater, Shower and a whole lot of fun!