Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 06-28-2010, 08:40 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1997 prostar 205 lt1
Correcting the prostar volt meter

I have a 97 prostar that has never had the volt meter read correctly. Finally got around to reading out the voltages and found out the low readings in comparison to direct readings at the battery were due to corrosion and the actual build of the wiring harness.
I fixed the reading by adding a direct wire from the key on power post and running it directly to the volt meter. This bypasses about 10 or so daisy chain connections that power all the gauges from one 12 volt feed wire. You also have the choice of bypassing the safety switch at this point also.

I started by checking voltage at the ignition switch by turning the key on and checking voltage at terminal B. It read 12.5 at the terminal and 12.6 at the battery posts , only a 1/10 volt drop so wiring from the battery was good. Next I checked the reading at the volt meter and only got 11 volts. that is a 1.5 volt drop across all the instrument connections.
Terminal A is hot battery power
Terminal B is key on power
Terminal C is aux power position (I took off wire for better picture)
Terminal D power for starter
*Note this is not an original ignition yours may differ slightly.

The red wire my finger is touching is the wire I added, the purple wire powers all the instruments with a 12 volt feed.

The next picture shows the back of the volt,temp, and oil pressure gauges. The purple wire runs through the safety switch at some point and then gets daisy chained all over the instrument panel. These are just some of the multiple connections which finally end at the volt meter. Each connection is getting old and slightly corroded so by the time it gets to the volt meter the reading is way off.

The last picture shows the back of the volt meter and the other end of the red wire I added. The grounds were much bigger wires and seemed to be up to the task even after 13 years. ***Note*** If you want to bypass your safety switch operation leave the purple wire and new red wire attached to the volt meter. To retain the saftey switch operation simply remove the purple wire from the back of the volt meter and tape over the exposed connector or simply remove the short purple jumper wire from the oil pressure and volt meter gauges.

After adding the wire the volt meter now reads within 1/10 volt of battery posts when running and I now show 13.5 volts at idle. The oil and temp gauges also read slightly different and I am sure are more accurate due to the correct 12 volts reaching the instrument pod.

I had to reach around inside the panel to snake the wire through some holes to reach the other side. You just need to search for a way to run the wire but it is not too bad.
If you want your readings to be correct I highly recommend this fix, now I can tell if my battery or alternator are really having problems instead of guessing.

Last edited by blackcreek; 07-04-2010 at 11:17 AM.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:08 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 Maristar 200VRS X2
Nice write up, I did the exact same thing last year but I also ran another wire to the tach so my Perfect Pass would not detect low voltage.

You have also done something else that you may not realize, you have eliminated your kill switch. I am not sure how, but mine did not work after I made these same changes.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:00 PM
TT Enthusiast

See next post

Last edited by blackcreek; 07-04-2010 at 11:20 AM.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:12 AM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks Footin. Finally got everything sorted on the back of the panel. I updated the instruction to include the option of bypassing the safety lanyard or not. If you want correct voltage readings and kill switch operation run the red jumper wire and remove the short purple jumper. For optional safety switch bypass leave the purple and new jumper connected. Your choice, I tested in both configurations to make sure.

Last edited by blackcreek; 07-04-2010 at 11:21 AM.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:41 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footin View Post
Nice write up, I did the exact same thing last year but I also ran another wire to the tach so my Perfect Pass would not detect low voltage.

You have also done something else that you may not realize, you have eliminated your kill switch. I am not sure how, but mine did not work after I made these same changes.

If you are running an older version of Perfect Pass, not allowing it to detect a drop in voltage could cause it not to save changes. A drop in voltage was, until about April 2008, the way PP knew to quickly save, ie when you turn of the ignition. Nowadays, it saves changes 5 seconds after they are made.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:57 PM
pitpro

A few questions and a little help needed with this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier View Post
If you are running an older version of Perfect Pass, not allowing it to detect a drop in voltage could cause it not to save changes. A drop in voltage was, until about April 2008, the way PP knew to quickly save, ie when you turn of the ignition. Nowadays, it saves changes 5 seconds after they are made.

Here's my setup. 1996 Prostar 205. I have the old PerfectPass and my gauges are laid out differently. I thought maybe I could disassemble all the connections, clean and reassemble and have the correct voltage show on the gauge. Cleaned them all and it didn't help. So here is my question: There is a red wire with a white stripe
that is not connected to anything behind the Fuel and voltmeter. (see picture)From the pictures of the OP, the Red wire with white stripe is Hot, on "Key on" side of ignition. Do you think this wire behind the Fuel/Voltmeter is also hot, contolled by "Key on" side of ignition? Could the fix be this simple? Disconnect the purple jumper completely, and hook up the red wire with the white stripe?
If this won't work, what is that Red wire with the White stripe for?
Also, am I correct that the jumper wire needs to come off if I have the old PerfectPass to prevent constant power to the PerfectPass, not allowing the PP to sense volt drop, therfore no saved settings?
Thanks for any help you can provide!!
John

Last edited by pitpro; 08-02-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:20 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
You need to check and see when that wire is hot. The first thing, if it is ever hot it should be connected to where it belongs or taped off.

I have a '96 205, and on my boat there is a clock on the left and the voltage gauge is on the right. (I don't have perfect pass). I would suspect that the red with the white stripe might be an always hot lead for the clock.

Good luck in that bowl of spaghetti, but be sure and tape it off if it is ever hot and not used.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:31 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
Bump....

I just tried this and it looks like I'm now getting a much better reading. thanks for the great write-up!

1994 205, LT1