Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-20-2004, 02:29 PM
scubat

Do It Yourself Fluid Changes

This question is for all of you that change your own engine oil and tranny fluids. Do you have a specific brand of fluid extractor that you like to use? Also, does anyone use a "fake a lake" flush kit or similar device to run your motor on land to get the fluids warm before extraction? I have a 97 Pro Star 190 with the LT1 if anyone is interested! I realize these are not hard jobs to tackle but people's experience with certain methods can make the jobs easier! Thanks for the help.
Old 08-20-2004, 02:35 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
I use a Turkey baster to suck out the Trans Fluid.
Old 08-20-2004, 02:36 PM
TT Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to ktn_cmu
My boat has a tube hooked to the oil drain plug that is capped off. When I change the oil, I run that tube out the center drain and into a bucket...it is fairly slow, but seems to work alright.
Old 08-20-2004, 02:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, 19 FT, 1986 S&S, 351 Ford
Same as ktn cum, I have a hose that I drop through the drain hole. The warmer the boat is the faster the oil drains. I don't have a "fake a lake", but probably should get one. I just hook the hose up and crankit to flush it... I don't run it long, since a lot of the water is falling through the intake opening. When I do change the oil, I try to do it after some time on the water. Hope this helps.. Turkey baster sounds like a good idea for the transmission fluid. I need to change mine soon.. I think they say every 30 hours for oil and 100 hours for trans. Everyone has their own pref.
Old 08-20-2004, 03:00 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: SN 196 previous 93 stars&stripes 190 red
I use a pump that attaches to my portable drill for the transmission. This sucks it out. I pump into a graduated container and fill with the same amount of atf. It is recommended to do every 100 hrs or 2 years I think.
Old 08-20-2004, 03:02 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft ProStar 205 DD
I've got the drill pump also like George. The thing works like a champ and I also use it to drain peanut oil out of my Turkey Fryer. I change the fluids every year all at once.
Old 08-20-2004, 03:13 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 95 Prostar 205
This is what I use for the transmission

http://www.etoolcart.com/index.asp?P...ROD&ProdID=559
Old 08-20-2004, 03:15 PM
MC Addict

Boat: MasterCraft PS205 351 HO
My dad has a plunger pump that goes over the dipstick tube for his oil. I wonder if that will work for my transmission?

Old 08-20-2004, 03:16 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
I've got a fake fake-a-lake, but am not a huge fan. I'm working on designs for an alternative to the flush aids on the market. And yes, if I get a patent, I'll sell it cheaper. If I can't get a patent, I'll just post pictures. Hell, you guys are nice enough, I'll have a MC Board Member discount, t'boot.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 08-20-2004, 03:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, 19 FT, 1986 S&S, 351 Ford
I got one of those drill pumps off e-bay. It was used... I tried testing it with a cup of water.... I guess the seals or impeller is bad on it... maybe my drill wasn't fully charged... It would only suck water half way up the clear house... I wouldn't think this would be an item that would wear out... Only cost me $2 bucks.... Should have bought "new".